PDA

View Full Version : CBT

mirry
04-11-05, 16:27
Was reading a magazine today "womans weekly" dated 27th sept 05".

On the Dear Doctor page it says;

SCREEN CHEER?
an interactive computor programe for people feeling depressed or anxious is available at 25 general practices in the midlands London and south east (call 0800 7316262 for info) and hopefully it will be rolled out to other areas as more practices buy the software.
Developed at the institute of psychiatry in London "beating the blues" is based on cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) techniqueswhich help you view your situation differently and find new ways of behaving.
A study of 167 volunteers suggests its more effective than medication ,practical help,or talks with a health proffesional.
It involves 1 15 min introductory video,plus 8 50 min weekly sessions,where you work on your own - answering on screen questions and watching video examples customised to your needs.
Your also given homework.

*has anyone heard of this ?

mirryx

rois
04-11-05, 17:58
no, but it sounds interesting, maybe it's too help cut down waiting lists for councillors, i've been aiting ages. I live in belfast so it'll be years before we get anything like that in, are you gonna try it?

"Ther goes the fear, let it go. You turn around and life's passed you by, you look to those you love to justify...there goes the fear."

DeniseB
04-11-05, 18:48
Hi Mirry,

I live in the north east of England and did beating the blues about three months ago. It is on a laptop and is all based around CBT Techniques. Apparently it is hoped it will be in every area of the country eventually so fingers crossed. If you have any questions i would be happy to answer them (from my limited experiance!)

Deniseb xx

carldourish
04-11-05, 19:34
I am a true believer in letting people know of other possible help for their problem. There is the old counselling way & CBT. Have any off you used NLP or EFT.

Carl

peterg
07-11-05, 15:50
I'm coming to the end of the 8 sessions.

Beating the Blues has the advantage of confidentiality as you are entering information into a computer which is not available to anyone. This means you are absolutely open and honest and are not tempted to just please or agree with a therapist.
I can recommend the course as you work objectively with a preset course. My local NHS Trust has therapists available where you attend the programme. If anyone is suicidal, then this is flagged up on a print out at the end of the session: you can take this to the therapists to ensure you do have some support.

The course is interactive and based upon 5 or so case studies which are on-screen video clips. This makes it more relevant and helps you see that you are not alone in the symptoms you are suffering from.
The course works on your thoughts and reactions and helps you view these more objectively and also helps you to change the way you view situations that cause you distress or lead to low moods.

Don't worry, you do not have to be good with computers....just able to click on forward/ back/ ok with a mouse.

The course has taught me a few techniques which help to reduce the amount of downward spirals of negativity I experience. You get printed material with each session and simple yet challenging home-work to do after each session.

If it is available locally speak to your GP about it.....obviously it is free on the NHS and gives you a different perspective on your problems.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want to know more about my experiences.......

All the best

Meg
10-11-05, 21:45
Juts make sure you're getting the right course to follow.

Beating the blues is for depression but the same company also provide one for anxiety. It has a different name.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?