PDA

View Full Version : CBT for Agoraphobia & GAD Am I Doing it Right?

nutteetart
23-10-09, 13:42
Hi
I have had GAD, Agoraphobia and Depression in varying degrees for 10 years. Sometimes housebound, terrified and lonely. I did have a brief moment in that time where i thought i was cured but that just made my relapse harder to deal with. Over the years i have just about tried everything from EFT to the Priory and as there is no help for us within the NHS (or not where i am, its a disgrace, but dont get me started!) I have now had to pay out of desperation ( even tho we are skint) to see a psychiatrist and CBT therapist who i have seen before. I am just starting 150mg of pregabalin and i am trying to tackle getting out and about which is tough because i even struggle indoors sometimes.

In order to tackle the agoraphobia i do walks and drives. My first walk was to the end of my garden and now i can get 200yards up the road if i use my 'prop' and push my bike! The neighbours must think me a loon. My drive at first started with me sitting in the car not going anywhere but after two weeks i managed to circle the block which would probably be a mile or two. With the walk and drive i just keep doing the same until i basically get bored with it and then i push my boundaries a bit. Its hard though because everyday i feel like i have to start again. What i manage one day i may not manage the next. Frustrating.

My question really tho is am i doing it right? I cant ask my therapist because i am scared she will think me a pest and i cant get to her surgery at the mo because it just seems too far for me to go right now so i have to wait for a home visit. I feel a fraud but the last time i went there i was clutching the table in abject panic. When i managed my round-the-block- drive, i did it over and over. I then tried it the opposite way and had a major panic. Now i have to start again. I am back just driving up and down my road. Some days i can do more than others too. Also the weather plays a huge part. I can do so much more when the sun is shining. If its raining i get so low i fear i will be sectioned because the thoughts in my head are so scary. Sorry, i am waffling. So apart from thought challenging does anyone have any tips on my agoraphobia cbt and has anyone had GAD, Agoraphobia and depresssion and been significantly helped on Pregabalin and CBT?

Dont i go on?!!!!
THE END
SOZ

PanicOver!!
23-10-09, 13:48
Hi

Looks like you are trying really hard

I have just finished CBT and had various tasks to do, which were pushing my bounderies... i had more of a social Anxiety than Agorophobia but the outcome is the same i guess... i also had days where i could go further than others but the key is to keep trying.. one step at a time

best of luck

nutteetart
23-10-09, 16:00
Thank you. I am trying hard but i beat myself up a lot if i cant do something. Its frustration. I have to keep going. I have lost so many years of my sons life, i just want to take him to school or watch him play football. One step at a time X

sheena
23-10-09, 16:13
You are doing the right thing. Keep driving your car and eventually you will be able to do it with the anxiety lessening.

I too had agoraphobia (still there) and started by driving my car up and down the road. I eventually went a bit further each time. I can now drive within a 3 mile radius of my home. Would love to go further but I am just glad that I can get in the car without all the panic and anxiety. So keep trying.

I had CBT but only when I was progressing through the panic attacks and anxiety. It really helped me and my first action was to put the bin out to the front. Then I eventually walked to the corner shop and then to walk my dog a small way up the road. I can now walk my dog around the block.

I still cannot do supermarkets or anywhere that is going to be crowded but I am just glad that I can get out of my front door.

I hope CBT helps you as well.:bighug1:

Sheena

nutteetart
23-10-09, 16:24
Thanks Sheena, i was worried beause my therpaist said at one time i wasnt staying out long enough but if the anxiety rises i try not to run home. I may come a little closer to home and try to build up again but i dont come home until the anxiety has decreased a bit. In fact i dont want to come home because starting from scratch is so hard. Did you also have days when you were back to just putting out the rubbish again? I have these days. They depress me so terribly but the next day i try again even harder. Is this the norm too? one step forward and two back?

sandramick
23-10-09, 16:43
yes in answer to your question u r doing things right it blinking hard work an very demoralising but u will get there trust me . small steps take along time but soon they will be miles . stick with it dont be hard on yourself just keep on doing what ever u can to keep fighting .
hugs
sandra
xx:bighug1:

nutteetart
23-10-09, 17:27
Thanks Sandra, you sound like you know from experience. Is this what you have done? If so how bad were you and how long did it take you etc?

Slothette
28-10-09, 14:18
Yes youre doing everything right. Having set backs is normal. Everyone has them. The hard part is trying not to let the set backs get you down. Very hard I know! I just told myself that I had to be a little bit brave and sometimes I had to just throw myself out of the front door and just do it and I'm still doing it but I've come a long way.
Keep your chin up.....Lex xx

Glitter19744
24-03-13, 16:20
I feel like I'm reading about myself up there. I too have been housebound since October. Since January iv been walking the dog and trying to push my boundaries,also taking car round the block and sometimes managed to the shops. But then the next day can't manage anything. So frustrating and if anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them all. Also want to know how long baby steps take till you have your life back to normal. Anxiety is just so horrible.