PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam for Social Anxiety Disorder

Dan1
23-10-09, 19:19
I was wondering if anyone has ever been prescribed diazepam for social anxiety disorder. I already take citalopram 50mg, but have found things very difficult since starting university. The doctor, somewhat unwillingly prescribed me some diazepam 2mg tablets to take when needed. Now I only plan to take the diazepam when I have seminars, as that is what i'm finding particularly difficult, so in all, I would only be taking three 2mg tablets a week.

I took on tablet yesterday, and struggled to notice any effect. I also took one today, and once again didn't really notice any effect on my anxiety. The next time I will take a tablet will be in 3 days. I have an appointment with the doctor in a week, so i'll ter her about it then, but I was just wondering if anyone else has taken diazepam, and whether it actually worked for them.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Maj
23-10-09, 21:56
Hi,

I've taken 2 mgs before and I think it just calms you down enough so that you don't notice or feel spaced out. They definitely help at times just to take the edge off your anxiety. This is what you want to achieve - being a bit calmer but not drugged.
Take care
Myra:):)

Danath
23-10-09, 22:03
I have used them and am usually calmed right down by them, doctors are reluctant to prescribe them for two reasons - *because they're addictive and *because repeated use causes a tolerance to built, so you have to take mroe and more to get the same effect.

my doctor has prescribed me diazepam only once under duress(a psychiatric nurse recommended it for weaning me off Venlafaxine) he usually flatly states that he will not prescribe any drugs that are even in the same group of medicines as diazepam.

I find them good when I do use them, which is extremely rarely( I only have 2 5mg tablets, and I would break one in half if i were to use it) but special care has to be taken to avoid addiction and tolerance and thats why doctors aren't too keen on them.

it might be worth discussing a different form of anti anxiety medicine with your doctor if you want some for long term use.

hope this helps

Dan

bomberbeamish
10-11-09, 09:08
i take 5mg when needed and sometimes on bad day i take 2 (10mg) at same time, the yjust take the edge off .

lucy

gypsywomen
10-11-09, 10:07
like anyother tab might take tme to work for you but there good

valleybear
10-11-09, 15:46
I was prescribed 6 X 2mg nearly a year ago and useally take a half when needed but had to take a whole one recently for a bad attack. I am dreading the fact that my Dr will not give me any more and I will have no 'safety net'. I am very careful with them as many years ago I was taking 5mgm three times a day and they were having little effect...I also had withdrawal symptoms ( horrendous headaches) when I stopped them. I still think they are the best when in the throws of a really bad panic attack. XX

onceagain
10-11-09, 16:33
Hi there

I was prescribed diazepam for anxiety at the beginning of my break down, I was taking 2x2mg 4 times daily. To be honest at that point the AD's hadnt kicked in so I felt completely relaxed in body but my mind was whizzing still, I had a rough ride as they were stopped abruptly and at a higher dosage you should be weaned off them.

Psycho Poet says that inositol is supposed to do wonders I tried to get some but our Holland and Barrett doesn't stock. Try to find one of his links he gives lots of information.

Best of luck and hope it all works out for you, keep us posted :yesyes:

marymn
19-05-10, 08:36
I would suggest that, better avoid medications at the most.

Drug Rehab (http://www.synergytreatment.com/)