PDA

View Full Version : feel like giving up

pinkcherryhearts
23-10-09, 19:46
hi everyone
i just started my dream job but i keep getting panic attacks and have taken 4 days off in the first week, my boss is p***** off and i was really lucky to get the job but i feel like i cant do it if im going to keep having panic attacks. i have one more chance and i dont know how to cope. i work in a busy department store and i get really weak and dizzy and this sets off the panic. i just feel like i would be better off dead. ive waited years for this opportunity and i feel like ive blown it.
please help im so close to just ending it all:weep:

lamontbilibin
23-10-09, 20:20
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time, you are not alone, this has happened to me on many occasions, I have had panic attacks and agoraphobia for about 14 years. I have had many jobs that I couldn't cope with and had to leave due to panic. In my last job, which I really loved, (left now as I run my own business) I decided to face up to the problem and let my bosses know about my panic attacks, as it turns out all my fears were mislaid they were very understanding and put in some adjustments so I could continue my job, i.e. taking extra breaks, flexible working etc and it really was the best thing I could of done! Don't forget this is the law as well, under the "disability discrimination Act" employers have to make reasonable adjustments to the workplace.

I realise this may be too hard for you to do, as you've just started and probably don't know your boss very well yet, but you may be surprised. And if their response is bad then your too good to work there anyway and they're are not very nice people!

Have you visited your gp about your panics, you can get medication and or therapy that can help? If you are feeling very low and suicidal, please do talk to someone, friends, family or the samaritans?

I know you say its your dream job but even if you did leave, it would not be the end of the world you can always use the time as a chance to feel a bit better about yourself and improve your self confidence and coping skills and then return to a similar job! Remember there is never only one chance in life, and things may look bleak now but they won't always feel so bad, I promise.

Sorry for the rambling message and hope it is a little comfort.

Take Care
x

kenboon
24-10-09, 05:36
Pink,

Honestly, I felt exactly the same a few months agao. GAD was ruining my life and tearing my relationship apart too. But it will and does get better.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

adhiggins
28-10-09, 00:13
sad to hear u feel like you cant go on, but trust me things can get better, I know how you feel, in fact your in a better posisiton than me, Ive had to suspend University cause Im ill twice, and now its uncertain whether I can go back, and subsequently cant find work, but the point is, I feel like Ive blown everything and that its not worth going on, but is always is, theres always something or someone that makes it worth it, we just get blinded sometimes, I hope your feeling better soon and feel free to get in touch anytime]

Cheers,

Andrew:)

lynn1960
28-10-09, 22:18
i feel really panicky and worried i am the first week of taking new meds and feel worse than before worried the meds will not work why am i so afraid of the feelings. am i the only one that is scared of the way they feel i have high aniexty all day and cant sleep at night will iot ever end