PDA

View Full Version : scared

Louise2009
24-10-09, 00:24
Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could have some advice/encouagement.

I have been prescribed venlafaxine for GAD and Panic attacks and am really terrified of taking this medication. For some reason, I cannot stop worrying incase I have been misdiagosed by my doctor - and that if I take this medication I might switch to mania. A friend of mine scared me about this as she said she had a friend who this happened to.

I don't think I have underlying bipolar, but I start to question myself and think that I do have an 'artistic temperament' and have been up and down for years but nothing radical. I spoke to my doctor about my concerns and he really wasn't prepared to listen and told me that I am worrying for nothing...

Does anyone have any advice about this?? I suppose I just need a bit of encouragement please.

Thanks

Alisonj
24-10-09, 06:32
Although it can be really tough, we need to put our faith and trust in our doctors that they are doing the very best they can for us. Just make sure if you feel any effects that do not feel right to you that you get back in to your doctor right away. I use to be very scared to start new meds and I still am at times, but when I think of where I would be without them at times, that is much much scarier!!!

smoochie
08-12-09, 22:17
hey!

I'm just about to start going on Venlafaxine and Im pretty nervous to, i also read that it can increase feelings of suicide and im very worried about that but like Alisonj says keep faith in ur doctor they kno what they are doing, give it a go and at any signs of it not going well for u go back to ur doc and maybe u can try something else, thats what im going to do, your not alone :)

jothenurse
16-07-10, 01:38
I started effexor 37.5 mg today. I am really scared whenever I start a new med (even a vitamin pill). I am hoping this helps because I have lost over 20 pounds and I need to do something.