PDA

View Full Version : scared

Louise2009
24-10-09, 00:26
Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could have some advice/encouagement.

I have been prescribed venlafaxine for GAD and Panic attacks and am really terrified of taking this medication. For some reason, I cannot stop worrying incase I have been misdiagosed by my doctor - and that if I take this medication I might switch to mania. A friend of mine scared me about this as she said she had a friend who this happened to.

I don't think I have underlying bipolar, but I start to question myself and think that I do have an 'artistic temperament' and have been up and down for years but nothing radical. I spoke to my doctor about my concerns and he really wasn't prepared to listen and told me that I am worrying for nothing...

Does anyone have any advice about this?? I suppose I just need a bit of encouragement please.

kenboon
24-10-09, 05:22
Louise,

With them diagnosing you with GAD, I would say they think you ok physically. When I started having panic attacks on a daily basis and all the nasty anxiety symptoms heart palps ect, it took me a good couple of months to accept it was all anxiety induced. I went to the DRs pritty much every day convinced it was something else. But this for me was the biggest hurdle which was acceptance.

Don't be afraid to go back to the DRs and raise your concerns. If you are not happy with that DR, try another one. Also if you have not already done so, read the symptoms page here http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms/ this helped me alot to understand wht was going on when I had symptoms.

Hope you are feeling better soon

young-mum
26-10-09, 18:11
hi peeps i just joined this website but dunno wat forum i am meanta be in... in february of this year i had my first ever episode (of wat ppl keep sayin is panic attacks)... it first strated in feb, n since then almost evryday n evry night i can jus b sittin watchin telly or out shoppin etc n i get a sudden woosh of dizzyness n feel like am gonna faint at any minute...and i get like a buterfly feelin but in my heart... i hav had ecg and ct scan done.. all ok... psince february ppl includin professionals..docs, paramedics, hospital docs n nurses hav said that these are panic/anxiety attacks.. up until this mornin i went back my docs with same synmptoms as it is really worryin me nw n i jus want 2 get better n b bk 2 normal agen... and then they mentioned to me tht they think it could be munchausens syndrome... i mentioned it to my daughters health visitor wen we went to creche this afternoon and she said basically that shee thinks the doc is talkin a loada crap...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

bottleblond
26-10-09, 18:55
Hi there

I take this mediaction and have done for a few years now and have been absolutely fine with it.

I would assume as you are new to the medication that your doctor would have put you on a low dose to see how you go!?

Please don't worry or listen to any horror stories hun.

Take care
Lisa
xxx

Louise2009
26-10-09, 19:36
Hi lisa,

Thanks very much for your post, it has really made me feel better. I think I'll start the medication this week. The problem with me is I have listened to so many horror stories, it's completely freaked me out. I suppose it's because the people who are sucessful with the medication are less likely report on the internet about it.

Thanks!

Louise