PDA

View Full Version : frightened of panicking at work

pinkcherryhearts
24-10-09, 20:52
Hi
I recently posted a thread about getting panic attacks in my new job, I had a really bad first week and only managed to work one day. Im lucky to get this job and im a manager which means im paid really well but I would give my last penny to stop these attacks. My head manager now thinks im not capable of the job, if i was given this job in the summer I believe I would be a great manager but now my panic attacks have come back they are worse than ever, i feel so crap, i told my manager what was happening and she said how will you cope. Im manager of a clothing department so im in a busy shop all day with no natural light. Im also based upstairs which makes it worse. I dont know what to do?
I used to work in a shop before and loved it and never panicked, i also suffer from low blood sugar which makes it worse cos the staff room is up 2 flights of stairs, and i only get 30 minutes break. I took valium on my first day and it really helped, but now they are not doing anything im worse than ever. I cannot afford to lose this job. Ive been on citalopram for 3 years and they have stopped working. Im so desperate I thought about drinking heavily to help me forget. Im sorry this is such a long post but i really need to let it out. I have spent 3 days in bed now and im convinced i cannot walk without collapsing. My doctors useless and im on a waiting list for cbt but theres no appointment until december. im so desperate for help, im thinking about changing medication, but to what? nothing helps, i just want to go to sleep and never wake up:weep:

Maj
24-10-09, 21:31
I feel for you, especially in a new job:hugs:. It's maybe time you tried another med if this one isn't working for you? Please, when you feel panicky try to let it wash over you and carry on with what you are doing - don't give up. Although meds do help it also takes some acceptance from you. It's difficult I know but it's the only way. You can get there given time and acceptance. Go back to your doctor and explain about the meds not helping you now. It's up to them to help you. A new job is challenging for anyone so don't beat yourself up about that. Retail jobs can be very demanding and stressful, all that reaching targets, etc, some people don't realise this. This period will end, I promise you, if you accept, relax and get more help from your g.p. Through time you can decide if this is the right job for you. Look after yourself:flowers:
Myra

Anxious_gal
24-10-09, 22:08
hmmm, if your doctors not helping, change your doctor?
as for needing to eat maybe you could keep a small snack in your pocket? or have a bottle of water left in the store near you?
see i think you started associating your work with anxiety and fear so i think CBT could really help,
i know , i feel trapped going up stairs in stores.
hope you find some way of coping. you just need to look after your self and challenge those negative thoughts.