PDA

View Full Version : Confusion, help please?

Route
25-10-09, 00:17
Hi,

I'm 18 years old and I believe I am suffering from panic attacks however I need the reassurance that they are panic attacks.

Quite often a sense of fear will come around, usually when I am out or doing something. I feel like my throat is closing up and I fear the worst, like a sense of death or something (sorry it sounds silly) and it makes me upset. It goes after a few minutes however I still feel paniced and this usually comes with a headache.

I have had glandular fever for a while too. Am I having panic attacks?

Thanks

BabyRachel
25-10-09, 05:36
Yes this sounds like a panic attack. The physical and psychiological symptoms are different for most people but the feeling of fear, dread, impending doom, death are widespread among most panic attacks. Thee have been many times where I myself have felt like my throat is closing up too. Panic attacks can last a couple of minutes (like yours) or much longer but THEY WILL ALWAYS GO AWAY. It sounds like you have only recently started suffering from panic attacks so if I may suggest a few things that can help you out.

On the left of this screen on the menu, please read the information on panic attacks and anxiety. It will go into a lot more detail and help you understand them. Knowledge is power. It will also talk about some techiniques such as correct breathing with are so so beneficial when having a panic attack/anxiety. I also suggest you book an appointment with a trusted doctor and speak to him/her openly and honestly about it. Depending on what they deem to be right they could offer to put you in touch with a psychologist or medication might be needed.

It is also very helpful to talk to your family (if you have a good relationship with them) about it. My mum is such a support for me. Also if you have any close friends you feel you could trust with this they might be able to support you as well.

If you ever need to talk please feel free to message me on here. There are lots of us on this forum who are very willing to help one in need.

Take care. :)

hana
27-10-09, 12:56
Hi There,
Rachel is completely right. When i found out it was panic attacks i was having and not going crazy it really helped me to deal with it.
There are so many people who suffer from this and have got through it. So don't feel like your the only one and you have to deal with it on your own.

I would also recommend talking to your doctor, sometimes getting it off your chest and talking about exactly whats happening when you feel a PA coming on can really help. My doctor is great and has been so helpful through the years.
Like i said, don't think your the only one, its a horriable thing to have to deal with and can be very demotivating and depressing so make sure you talk to someone about it even if its just us :)

Keep in touch,

Hana x

Route
03-11-09, 23:27
Hi :)

I visited my doctor and she said I am having classic panic attacks. I'm now taking Propanolol which has counteracted the panic attacks so I don't have them anymore :)

Thanks for all the help! xxx

hana
04-11-09, 09:50
Good news route!!
take care x x