PDA

View Full Version : Blotchey red neck and chest

Nicola England
05-11-05, 15:17
Hi there

I'm a young woman with a very debilitating skin condition. For as long as I can remember (say during the last 8 years or so) when you start your social life in your teens, my neck, chest, ears and shoulders form red blotches and join together. I'm still trying to work it all out but it happens in particular social situations. For example, I can go out to a bar with usual friends where there's music and dancing and the redness doesn't happen, other times just to a local pub where I'm sitting opposite friends, having a normal conversation and it goes all red. It can HAPPEN when family come over for dinner, or when I just go to a friend's house. I dread having to go out for meals at restaurants (no matter who I'm with, even my mum) as it happens. Even going out with boyfriends/girlfriends to restaurants it happens. Everyone else can wear plunging tops and I'm wearing a polar neck! I've put it down to nerves. It happens when I'm being tested too for example for jobs and job interviews. No matter what the emotion is im experiencing, it can happen, for example laughing and joking to a friend on the phone or crying on my own. I could rattle on for ever - I've WASTED money on types of therapy. PLEASE PLEASE does anyone know of a way I can get this to go for good? Because of this I'm becoming quite depressed as people can see it and comment.

Thanks - I really don't know where to turn :(

N.

kate
05-11-05, 15:23
Hi Nicola,

I used to get this also, when I was in my teens. It also happened to me when I was emotional in some way ie upset, or excited about something.

I can't quite remember when it subsided, but it did!

My boss at work also gets this whenever she is flustered LOL so I think it is all connected to anxiety.

People also used to coment on it but I used to just say that I was hot :D

Sorry I don't have any advice on how to cure this problem but just thought I would tell you that you definately aren't alone.

Kate

Nicola England
05-11-05, 15:28
Thanks Kate for reading my message.

I don't think it'll ever go away - I'm so conscious of it. I think the best thing for me is psychotherapy and hypnotherapy. If you can recommend anyone that is a recognised psychotherapist with the formal qualifications I'l like their details.

N.

Quirky
05-11-05, 15:56
Hi Nicola,

I used to work with a girl who had this and she didn't suffer from anxiety as such. It happened when she was excited about something, when arguing or sometimes just talking to people in meetings (which didn't bother her). Her way of dealing with it was to just ignore it, and if anyone commented she just laughed and said oh I always go red and laughed. It was very noticable on her, started on her chest and crept up her neck. No one thought of her any different because of it though, it was just something she had. In fact most people didn't even comment on it either.

LJ

EMMA
28-11-05, 14:09
Hi

I suffer from this too. It can come on at any time whether I am on the phone, talking to somebody face to face, eating, drinking. I'm not nervous in front of people but I do suffer anxiety. But even when I haven't been anxious I have suffered it. It too gets me down because I have to think about what clothes to wear.

But people don't comment usually and if they do I just say that I am hot and flustered. Usually it's not so noticable when I have a suntan. Maybe wearing a bit of fake tan would help.

I'm going to see a counsellor this afternoon about my anxiety and I shall ask her about it. I'll let you know if she has any suggestions on it.

Emma x

Abbey
15-05-06, 17:55
Hi

I also suffer from this mainly at work in meetings or it can just come over me. My neck goes red if I simply think about it.

It is truely ruling my life ie must wear high neck jumper for work I think about it every day starting taking Calms but the don't do any good.

WILL0W
16-05-06, 10:50
Hi Nicola,

I sent a similar post in the symptoms forum here. I can really understand how you feel and I totally relate to how you feel. I get it in the same situations you talk about, it can be social situations usually when things are more personal( I totally understood the pub chat situation) and phone calls, ( If I've been on the phone a while I'm always blotchy!) sometimes even playing a computer game or concentrating on something I'm doing!! Any emotions basically like you laughing, crying or anger set it off too. Even with family!

It is very upsetting, I feel like you, you can have a nice outfit on and look quite good and then later you end up blotching out and feel you look ugly and awful. I don't know how dark yours gets but mine I describe as like port wine stain when its bad and in patches but lots of it. Occasionally I manage an even blush and that I don't mind quite so much!

I know you want a cure or help I wish I could give some, but sometimes it helps to know someone is like you and it certainly made me feel comforted reading your post to know I'm not alone.

I did find mine improved for quite a long time, but because I have had more stress in the last year I have been like it more regularly again which has got me a bit down. I was on Cipramil and have recently come off I think they definitely did help me for a while but they seemed to lose there benefits so I decided to try without.

I am trying to go on the more natural approach .( if I can! ) I am doing a reflexology course at the moment (that in itself is hard for me). So I am trying to do a bit of self treatment. Also I've bought some aromatherapy oils recently, lavender, rose and one called vetivert all good for anxiety.

I'm also giving kalms a go but I'm not sure about them yet. I'm trying to practice breathing techniques.

Exercise to get rid of extra adrenaline in the body and relaxation techniques to learn to be able to relax. A while back I was going to the gym regularly again quite hard at first but I think I was a bit better then but because of the stresses with my course etc I didn't feel able to do it all. I do try and do exercise videos, and I do cycle and walk.

Sorry waffle, waffle,
good luck Nicola with finding something that works for you, and keep posted if you find any thing that does!

love
Willow.x

Zuzi
20-05-09, 21:24
hi Nicola, I get the same think. I get very down about it.. went to doctor, they tested me with all sorts but nothing came up.All is well and they have no idea what it is. I think, in my case, I am so aware of it, that it just comes up when I think about it..and the more I think about it, the more it happens..and the worse it happens. I also get it on my legs quite badly.. I have also once noticed it on my back and tummy..backside.. i can go on and on:). it also comes with heavy sweating:( which is really upseting. i can understand what you are going through. let me know how you doing, perhaps we can help each other somehow:)

josephine
21-05-09, 13:55
hi Nicola,

I suffer from this to and I hate it. I get in it in social situations the worst and like Willow i get it when im on the phone, computer etc.
Any emotion makes me blotch, if im anxious,happy,sad or excited.

The one thing that has helped me is propranolol, a beta blocker. I think mine is linked to blood pressure, when i get anxious my blood pressure goes up, but i am not really sure if this is the cause.Propranolo has taken away about 90% of the flushing and changed my life to a degree.

After saying this, i would really like to stop taking it and deal with this without meds.So many people have told me that once I accept the flushing and not let it bother me is the day it loses it grip. Easier said than done though!!

I wish i could help more but just remember you are not alone.

Lots of love,

Josephine.x