PDA

View Full Version : The feeling of constantly got to be doing something

andylan83
25-10-09, 20:32
Hello folks,

Wondering if I could bounce a couple of things around (not beachballs if your a Liverpool fan).

Im dealing with anxiety and the whole bag that comes with it ie. the tireness, fuzzy thinking, lack of concentration. But does anyone know how to counter the feelings of 'I've got to be doing something, because if your not, then many opportunities are flying by as we speak'?

I'm having a wee bit of trouble with this one as my anxiety is telling me that I should always be working on something or constantly learning new things at the rate of knots, in order to increase my status in life (well at least I thinking that's what its relating too). Of course you can imagine what that does for my recreational time, blows it out the water.:mad: as I cant fully relax.

For example, Im doing my driving lessons over a 2 week intensive course, now this wasnt down to the anxiety telling me to do it this way, more of a really byzantine driving instructor with a disregard for allowing pupils into 4th gear. Even now I've not even booked the thing yet, my mind goes into overdrive periods which tell me that I should be studying away at it to get it out the road as soon as possible. An uncomfortable feeling always sweeps across me telling me that Im the one who's left behind because nearly everyone of my friends can now do it.

How do we stop the anxiety from suggesting that we should never fully be a rest or take things at a comfortable pace, rather than throwing up 15 scenario's per day of things that I should be doing. ?

lynn1960
25-10-09, 20:41
hi i am suffering with aniexty at the moment and am so afraid of it i dont like the feelings they scare me doc has given me tablets but they take three weeks to work what can you do in the mean time anyone feel this bad i am new to this web site please any help would be appreicated

andylan83
26-10-09, 09:07
Hi,

If the Doc has given you tablets, they ususally do take form around 2-6 weeks to kick in and the effects to become apparent. There's a thread on the Forum that has the different kinds of meds available and there usefulness and any possible side effects, its worth a look if your just new to this website.

When I first visited the Doc to see about what meds were available and what effects they would have, she gave me Citalopram, the same as you've said, at least 3 weeks to kick in. They had me up and down like a rollercoaster, but everyone has differenet reactions to these meds, so my advice would be to stick with it.

Self help books, I find, really to help with the rational thinking and working through your feelings. With 'The Fear' we tend to accept whatever unwanted thoughts enter our head without properly questioning or dismissing them.

Stick at it and keep smiling :):)

PanchoGoz
26-10-09, 12:05
Good luck Lynn. Andylan - I have exactly the same feeling - like if I don't do something all the time I'll get more anxious or I'll go mad! You should try to organise your thoughts and form a list of things you really need to do today and disclude all the things that you know are just your anxiety knawing away. Then you know its you who is deciding to do what you want and not your anxiety deciding for you!