PDA

View Full Version : give it ago.

carldourish
05-11-05, 21:37
So much excellent info here. Just another technique I use often.

THE INNER CRITIC

I've found nothing takes the wind out of your sails more quickly than a few critical comments made by the wrong person at the wrong time. And the worst critic you will ever encounter is the one who lives inside your own mind. The way we talk to ourselfs has a profound impact on our emotional state.

For example, when you make a mistake, consider the tone of voice you use when you talk to yourself. Do you say "Oh, goody, another learning experience!" or is it more like "You stupid idiot, you really screwed up that time!" or "When are you ever going to learn!"

Remember a time when you made a big mistake and recall how you spoke to yourself. What does it sound like? Is it critical, is it angry, sarcastic or resigned?

Many people presume that just because there's a voice inside their head they have to listen to it. But criticism is meant to be constructive, and if what your inner voice says is not supporting you, try this simple experiment. I do like my experiments.

THE INNER CRITIC

(1) Stop for a moment and talk to yourself in your critical voice, saying all those nasty things in that unpleasent tone.

(2) Now, notice where you make that voice. Does it seem to be coming from inside yuor head or outside? Is it at the front, the sides or the back?

(3) Extend your arm and stick out your thumb.

(4) Wherever the critical voice was, move it down your arm to the tip of your thumb, so it's now speaking to you from there.

(5) Next, slow it down and change the tone of it. Make it sound sexy, or speed it up so it sounds like Mickey Mouse.

It sounds much less threatening like that, doesn't it.

Carl

Piglet
06-11-05, 12:12
Another good post Carl!

Love Piglet:D

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

jill
07-11-05, 22:22
Hi Carl

I have had the wind blow out of my sails all my life by a critical mind
( my own mind that is )

It has been this site and all the information on here that has made me stop and think about my past and the way I was thinking.

Your thread has made me think again and given me another way of thinking, another way of getting rid of those critacal thoughts.

Thank you soooo much for sharing, I know it will help me and help others.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

carldourish
09-11-05, 18:35
Jill & Piglet a big thanks for your reply. Remember it's that dame self talk thing again. Have your tried the technique, works wonderfully for me. Used to take a bit of practise, I can even do it while the wife nags sometime (lol)

Carl

jill
10-11-05, 09:58
Hi Carl :D Nigel :D

Thanks for the advice [^]

My next plan of action is to print of some information from the site for me to read over and over, this thread being one of them.

When your mind has been programmed to think this way and you have been like that all your life, I know that it is going to take along time to re-programe, I know that it CAN BE DONE [^]

Thanks again

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

You are being pogrammed all day every day.
You can't stop it, but you CAN determine if the
programming is positive or negative.