PDA

View Full Version : Losing the fight I need help!

DavidJ85
26-10-09, 09:07
Well it happened.

Friday at around 3pm I was happily working then my hands starting stinging and tingling, then my chest tightened up, my eyes went all blurry and strange and I started sweating and feeling stupidly hot...

...that's right panic attack at work.

I've been at this job only 3 weeks and I couldn't cope on Friday and had to leave and now I'm terrified it's gonna happen again.

Thankfully work were ok with it the first time but now I'm sitting here again worrying once again I'm gonna have one as it's the exact same scenario as Friday.

I almost didn't get out of bed this morning deliberately out of fear and already today I can sense symptoms starting and it's not as easy as "just concentrate on your work" as I was doing that Friday and it still happened!

What do I do guys? I love my job...HELP!

amandaj
26-10-09, 10:20
hi firstly can i say the more you think about it the worse you will feel,i know its easier said than done but try not to think about it before it happens try to keep busy that will help if you do have a pa again try splashing cold water on your face and tell yourself its not going to hurt you tell it to go away and leave you alone breathing correctly also helps i know its not as easy as im making out and maybe i need to practice what i preach sometimes but anything is worth a try hope you feel better soon
amandax

PanicOver!!
26-10-09, 10:30
I Agree

The best way to beat them is just let them come ... they will NOT hurt you and they WILL go.. easy said i know but thats the best way to break the vicious circle

Best of luck

DavidJ85
26-10-09, 10:35
It's just such a horrible thing, I really thought I was going to black out or die. I got so hot, tingly, prickly and dizzy. It's the most horrible thing and I can't seem to stop it effecting me :(

PanicOver!!
26-10-09, 10:54
Hi

David as uncomfortable and frightning as it is it will NOT hurt you
try and go sit on the loo for a while and let it pass if you can manager this it will reduce the severity of the attacks

Good luck buddy

DavidJ85
26-10-09, 10:56
Just feel like I need to breathe in hard all the time as my chest feels funny then the rest of the symptoms worsen ARGH!

PanicOver!!
26-10-09, 11:15
If you over breathe that will make you feel worse due to the extra oxegen getting to the brain if you are not careful you will hyperventilate.... try slowing your breathing down or breathing in to a paper bag for 30sec or so at a time.. this should reduce the oxegen content in your blood and so reduce the anxiety

DavidJ85
26-10-09, 11:20
Ok that does sound fair enough.

Its just the stinging and tingling skin and dizziness and breathing it all doesnt feel right so sets me off!

PanicOver!!
26-10-09, 11:34
You are not alone i have been there and know how scary it can be

good luck mate