PDA

View Full Version : day 8 on fluoxetine..an emontional mess

carter
26-10-09, 20:17
hi all,

My panic attacks they have suddenly started so much so i can cope when they come on i can normally keep it together and ride em out but now..they completely disable me.

I was placed on fluoxentine to help...but i feel sick food tastes of cardboard and at the moment im a emotional wreck...crying one minute and bouncing round the room the next...and trust me i never cry

they only positive thing is that im coming round after the attacks.... when normally im ill for days and another attack comes and its a vicious circle.

however on these things the attacks are so so bad.one after another and im like urrggghhhh...and when im low im at an all time low...im hoping this will all get better with time.... but dam its hard to keep it together.

anyone have the same issues ??
:ohmy:

Danath
26-10-09, 20:41
yeah fluoxetine can make you feel a hell of a lot worse before it makes you feel better it did to me pretty much what you describe it doing to you, though i didn't cry, i got the opposite and became apathetic, took a while but i felt better.

Dan

Bubblegumpixie
28-10-09, 18:48
Hello!
Maybe if you go back to your Dr and explain this he/she may prescribe diazipam which can help during the "settling in" period that fluoxetine has.
Just a thought! Hope things work out ok.

johnno
28-10-09, 18:53
seriously i am completely and utterly anti medication foe anxiety unless its been proven to be a chemical problem in body , everyone who takes tablets never seems to get off them . i would stop taking them because once u rely on them u always rely on them and once they stop working u go back for higher dosage and again and again its never ending

Bubblegumpixie
28-10-09, 18:53
Oh and I had to go back to the Dr today as I couldn't tolerate the 20mg tablets straight away so he has ordered me the syrup so I can start on a baby dose and work my way up very very slowly. I had to do this as my anxiety has been so bad I have stopped eating and losing weight which in turn is making me sick and dizzy. The tablets were then making me twice as bad so that's why I have to take a tiny dose to start with. (hopethat makes sense!)
you aren't alone - this forum is great.

JaneC
28-10-09, 22:08
Bubblegumpixie, as I've posted on another thread, I have eased myself on to Prozac by going on 10mg first because I'm v sensitive to meds. Feel it's working for me, hope it does for you.

johnno, that's two threads you've posted on today suggesting people should stop their meds, which I think is a bit unfair, not to mention unwise.

No, they don't work for everybody, but many people do benefit. They've helped me but I'd never try to persuade people who are anti-meds to take them.

kiwig
01-11-09, 08:48
Hi there,

I'm also on day 8 of taking fluoxetine and am having a tough time. For the first four days I was great, back to my old self, and just felt a little sick when I'd take the meds on an empty stomach.

But since day 5 I have been feeling really anxious, upset tummy, lost my appetite, sweaty palms, feel like one minute I have adrenalin going through my veins and need to go for a sprint, and the next I just want to sleep. Very weird, and like I'm being flung from happy to 'I can't cope'.

I've noticed that when I'm at home and have no stresses I'm fine, but as soon as I have to go to work, or local shops I start to feel sick.

I'm also having mild muscle spasms, and have been told that this is fairly normal, and it's just my body trying to regulate the amount of chemicals it produces in relation to the meds.

I'm hopeful everything will settle down in the next few days, the idea of it lasting weeks does not appeal.

As well as medication I am also going to a fantastic hypnotherapist, and after each session I feel like a whole new person, because somehow everything is put in perspective. She says that all my symptoms are normal and actually explained what the body was doing, so I could understand why I'm feeling like this.

I've been recommended to either have a sauna or hot bath (with rock salt) as it brings on symptoms of a fever and your body can then sweat out all the toxins. Also, crying is good because it also gets rid of toxins, it's your body's natural cycle.

Let's stick it out, let me know how you go.
k :whistles:

carter
01-11-09, 12:59
yeah i have to agree with all of the above i am its day 14 i am feeling alittle better but i have anxiety like never before.

The attacks do not seem as severe and i can at least cope with them when im in company.

but this anxiety thing is driving me mad im worried about going to the shops ??? why i have no idea....

went to a family halloween party with the kids...my god it was a struggle ...got through it god knows how...

im gonna leave it two more weeks if this anxiety keeps up i may have to change my meds..

i pefered having ramdom panick attacks..... than feeling in fear all the time..:weep:

anyone else in the same boat ?

as for the person stating that you dont need drugs u r very lucky that your able to cope with your attacks...some of use are on meds purley as a last resort in order to get our lives back

LJL
05-11-09, 14:14
Hi

I'm in the same boat, I'm on day 15 and the anxiety is worse today then ever, I have been constantly sick all morning, but last week I was fine I even managed a couple of hours at work yesterday, it's like being on a rollercoaster, I can't understand why I feel so bad today but I presume that it takes a while to get into your system, it's just horrible.

Keep climbing that mountain :)

carter
05-11-09, 23:18
im back ..

its day 18 i gotta say this stuff is starting to work..after two weeks of hell on earth i should bloody hope so...

Its defo takin the edge off and im able to cope with the attacks. Before they were disabling me.

anxiety is still up there but only comes now during or after the attacks and only for a few hours. I can now get out and about without thinking about it.
..well not too much anyway..and they now seem to have a pattern they normally come on between 4.00pm - 9pm and then go after that... togther with that blasted anxiety.

Took my daughter to the park today and walked we got sum chips went shopping was fine... felt almost normal...had to pick the mrs up from work had an attack..but i just carried on as normal went to the inlaws held a full conversation with them even thou i was dying inside..but saying that it not as bad as it was...Dont get me wrong im still getting side affects - headache and feeling dizzy like im not real...this comes and go's every so often..but thats slowly getting less

today however im able to now concentrate on stuff ..i have a home studio (its a hobby im a bit of a music geek) and was there for a few hours workin on stuff..which was nice for once..

Its wired a week ago i thought i would never be able to work again....now im thinking u know what in the next few weeks ....im might be able to go back...

ill keep you all posted...

JaneC
06-11-09, 11:47
Thanks for the positive and encouraging post, carter. I'm prob about where you are in terms of days in and it's been a bit of a struggle so it's great to read that other people are seeing light at the end of the tunnel :yesyes:

kiwig
06-11-09, 20:44
Hi Carter,
Glad you're feeling better.
It's now about day 14 or 15 for me and I'm feeling so much better as well. Things started getting better around day 11.
So it seems as though it effects people differently.
I've also started taking the tablet in the morning with breakfast. I doubt that has made a difference, other than helping me sleep a little better at night.
I've been told that the increased anxiety is because the body is just trying to regulate how much seratonin is produced naturally as the brain gets used to the effects of the fluoxetine.
K

carter
07-11-09, 12:46
day 19...

was a good day all in all..

woke up with a thick head like ive had about 10 pints of beer and a bit shakey...dunno if this is normal....im hoping this goes cant imagine working and speaking to clients feelin like this at the mo....i get 6 months paid sick leave so thats something i am lucky i dont have to worry about at the min.

The thick head and shakes tends to ease off a liitle with breakfast a cup of decaff tea..but it never 100% goes it lingers in the background

anxiety was still high went to the post office felt wired...started sweating in the que "i was like "what the fxk" but did it. I took my daughter to the park again she loved and ..all ok so far..

went to call on a friend i have not seen since all this started...that was a struggle... my body was telling me dont go your have an attack and make yourself look stupid....it was a struggle to drive there... but did it... it was wired it was like someone was trying to hold me back..strange feelin to be fair....

Me my mate had a laugh and a joke....had a bit of anxiety ...i couldnt really keep stil....l but running around after my daughter recking my mates flat helped with that..... lol

kept getting crazy head aches and wired head pains ...dunno if that was the meds working overtime ....but had no attack....

left went to my mom and dads had a laugh and a joke and went to pick up the mrs from work....

felt good as had no attcaks pushed my self... just felt tired and sick...with a foggy head..

my brother came to vist.....my head at this stage was dizzy and i felt sick but held conversation and he left around 10.30pm...

all in all a good day apart from the foggy head and feeling sick..

now comes the bad part...woke up at 2.30 am it felt like i had been drinking 10 pints ..no attack just felt sick and thought i had was going to be sick...the room was spinning and allsorts...had some water put the tv on and managed to fall back to sleep after an hour of trying to calm myself....

woke up this morning at 11am !!! wow.. foggy thick head really ill had my breakfast and tea felt a little better.. and ready to fight another day...

docs review apointment on monday...at the moment i can say the attacks that were disabling me have pretty much gone/eased off..

But this social anxiety thing is a new one..im trying my best for it not to beat me but dam...its a struggle...its getting better as im not getting the attacks....and the side affects of these tablets are knocking me about as much as the panic attacks at the moment..i feel like a drunk with a hangover all the time..

hope my daily dairy is of some use and you can relate or gives some of you newbies to fluoxetine hope ...

speak to you tommorrow xx

:roflmao:

carter
08-11-09, 10:28
Day 20...

woke up sick as a dog foggy head splitting head ache....and shaking like a leaf

had some breakfast and some decaff tea...

very reluctant to take the pill today after last nights episode..

ate my food and took my pill together with my vit b complex to keep my energy levels up ...in case of an attack.

after an hour felt not too bad but the wired feelings were in the back ground...

got the kids ready to do some early christmas shopping with the mrs...

called my opticians about my head aches as i wear glasses for long distance but only wear them when really need them...optician suggested to start wearing them all the time to see if that helps with the headaches...so i did and it did help...

got to the shopping centre no feelings of anxiety...to be fair i was waiting for them to come on they didnt ..no attacks.....pretty much a normal day...felt a bit foggy..but not enough for me to notice or even care...

had a nice day got home made the tea watched tv and went to bed...all ok....i felt almost normal..went to bed about 10.30 im finding i get pretty tired quite early these days..maybe the broken sleep patterns...

woke up a 2.30 again felt sick again but no where near a bad a the day before...just rolled over and went back to sleep..

i hopin this keeps up....another attack free day and the anxiety is reducing.. :yesyes:

speak to you tommorrow guys xx

pinkrose
08-11-09, 10:41
Hi Carter

So pleased your feeling some progress! I'm on fluoxetine and it took me about 6 weeks before I started feeling better. Everyone's different. At the beginning, like you, I felt so awful; couldn't eat, couldn't sleep or do anything 'normal'. Even making a cup of tea was like climbing a mountain!!! Ridiculous isn't it. Now I feel like my mood has lifted a bit, I can actually get out of bed before 9 am and feel like eating again! I'm by no means a hundred percent (still very anxious about lots of things, and don't particularly want to go out/see anyone), but it's a huge relief just have a bit of normality back. So keep your chin up. Take care x:)

BexieB
08-11-09, 11:44
Hi Carter

Thanks for the diary, i find these very useful. Glad there's some progress so far. I'm starting Seroxat next wednesday, very mixed feelings about it. Found it good in the past, but you hear such horror stories about it. Do you mind me asking if you've been on ADs before? Prozac isn't usually a doc's first choice these days.

Keep up the good work
Bexie

carter
09-11-09, 09:25
Hi all...

glad you are all interested in my diary i hope it helps some of you....

in answer to some of your questions yes unfortunately..im am a previous panic attack sufferer......it was about 8 years since my last attack so im pretty gutted....

I was placed on fluoxetine and it really helped me back then..and i just came off it and ive been fine untill now...

However in answer to some of your questions...the doc did not want me to take it... he wanted me to have seroxet or that other ad...but i explained to the doc if it worked back then why couldn't i take it now...it was a battle of wills and he agreed on that basis..however i always recommend takin your doctors advice. i have proof fluoxetine worked for me..so it was easier to get it agreed..

however i must admit...my body must have been stronger back then...cause these side affects have really knocked me about this time around....back then i went to work no time off....and worked having full on attacks..but then again it was just me and i didnt have the responsibility of a family to look after like i do now....and there is that little thing in the back of my mind should i have just listened to the doctor and not taken this drug.... ??

Day 21...

Woke up in the morning splitting head-ache and the shakes....

Had a full cooked breakfast and decaff tea...

felt slight anxiety but nothing too bad... went to visit my parents..

my mother also suffers from the same thing and she was having a bad time and she was really in a bad way...shes been trying to come off seroxet for a while and i think me being unwell has caused her stress so the docs have advsied her to up her dose. ..so she is going through the first 3 week blues that we all get when you first start taking these pills or upping your dose...and she is back to work on monday after being off for two weeks with the attacks..so im hopin she is just scared about going to work

managed to clam her down...but it kind of stressed me out. I was then waiting for my attack to come but it seemed to linger in the background..but was on edge for most of the day...

went out with my mrs to go to her grandfathers grave as it was being blessed...there were about 100 people there this sould test my anxiety...

was fine to be fair it didn't bother me at all...i think my anxiety is easing up..(i have a few tricks on how to deal with it if anyone is interested)

went home started to feel sick again...then it came out of nowhere ..dizzy and bizarre thoughts...thought i was not going to keep it together at about 6.30pm...but stayed calm and it passed after about 30/40 mins and was a bit shook up for most of the night but nothing too major....

I think my body was reminding me that i am by no means 100% yet..was a stressful day to be fair and put it down to worrying about my mom..

hopin it was just a blip

have to visit the docs monday so will see that they say about it all..

im hoping to have another two weeks off then look to go back to work......i think the trick is to make sure you are doing everything else such as seeing family, friends and shopping doing normal stuff and when that is all under your belt and your 100% confident...then going back to work is the next big hurdle....

wish me luck

xxx

:hugs:

LJL
09-11-09, 15:25
Hi Carter

Just to say I'm on day 21 and I feel awful, no appetite, shakes and constant nausea feeling and can't be bothered to do anything, especially eat. I've felt like this since last Thursday, It's really strange because before this I felt pretty good I managed to drive go shopping and do most things, even went into work for half a day but it's completly different this week, I just can't understand why I felt so good then but bad now.Just have to keep going I suppose.

Lisa

carter
11-11-09, 11:38
day 22/23

badtimes im afraid folks...

went to the docs was a positive outcome she advised that i seemed more positive and she will see me in two weeks.. i asked about going back to work she said only when i ready and to not rush or not leave it too late..and advised that counselling would be key but there was a two month waiting list..

felt good...like i was on the road to recovery...

then suddenly out of knowhere anxiety started creeping up on me all day like a thick sticky glue...went to pick my kids up from nursery got myself into a mess but did it anyway. i was in such as state though could not stop shaking...

was so disappointed in myself and was down for the rest of the night followed by an attack however it was bearable but not nice....

Next day stayed in bed till 11 feeling sorry for myself..shookmyself said right i need to beat this...

called my hr dep confidential helpline...they have offered counselling so i may as well take it ...start on friday they have advised its just short term and should still keep my long term with my docs...

all day anxiety....the mrs friend came round i was upstairs took me about an hour to build up the courage to go downstairs' in my own house...felt like bad and was in a mood for the rest of the day....

anxiety got so bad i went out late night shopping to prove it was not going to beat me i did it...but it was a struggle and really tired me out...

had a bad nights sleep and was woke up with an attack..whch lasted about an hour ...not good...

lets hope i improve in the next few days :(

BexieB
11-11-09, 22:36
Hi Carter

Sorry things a rocky at the moment, that's the Fluox establishing in your system and your body reacting to it. Very early days yet. Just try and think about the improvements to date. 'Blips' are soooo common at this stage. You're so right about trying to keep life as normal as possible, I find one of my biggest anxieties is thinking that i'm effecting the people i love. Keeping things as 'normal' as possible really helps me.

Wishing you peace and solice
Bexie

eastender24
12-11-09, 00:40
prozac took 3 months for me

carter
12-11-09, 11:41
day 23..

still not getting any sleep...its actually starting to drive me nuts....

decided to think more positive instead of trying to think negative..

lets be honest its early days...and i am feeling better even if the anxiety thing is killing me together with the shakes im gettin...

day went pretty well went to see my parents had a good day all in all went food shopping and for about an hour forgot i was ill....

and friend popped over to say hi i anxiety was at a high held a conversation but was really nervous...i dunno why...got me down a bit but hey im ill and its early days think positive :blush:

no major attacks just really small ones that i could deal with and not worth a mention really...so im must be getting better

medsec27
13-11-09, 09:17
I have been on Fluoxetine since I was 28 weeks pregnant for anxiety, panic attacks and to combat post natal depression. Little boy is 8 weeks old now and am now on 40mgs daily. First month was awful and I nearly gave up, but am so glad I didn't.Very apprehensive about upping dose to 40mgs, but seems to have taken a real edge off the anxiety. Am also having CBT alongside, which I think has made a big difference to just medication alone. So much happier than i have been in a long time. Feel as if I am living my life now rather than just existing and struggling. Stick with it. It is defintely worth it. :)

JaneC
13-11-09, 10:58
IFeel as if I am living my life now rather than just existing and struggling.

Well done, medsec, I'm sure this is where we'd all like to get to one day.

It's especially great that you are in a place where you can enjoy your little boy, and that you are feeling so well at a what can be a stressful time as well as a joyous one :hugs:

carter
13-11-09, 16:08
Day 24

Went to see a councillor today it helped alot..and discussed methods to help with my attacks..which actually pretty much made sense and what to do in social situations..

Seems in my case there are few underlining issues that are causing my problem...and im now happy to admit it too :D...time to take the bull by the horns... i can see its going to be emotional time...but rewarding. when i back to my old self

So in short Im sticking with the medication. but im going to leave the diary for now.

As i have to say the medication is doing what it should be doing and the only side affect im really feeling is lack of sleep...

what i can say now is i know im ill... but i will get better and it may take some time ...but hey ive got all the time in the world..no point it keeping worrying about it all the bloody time..

Will speak again in a week or two after a few more sessions...and keep you all updated..

much love

carter
xx

Pam.J
17-11-09, 17:16
Hi All

I am on day 8 of taking fluxotine, i had been trying alternative health therapies they all seemed to help for a while but eventually gave in and went docs, since day 4 of taking tablets started with awful constant panics/anxiety, hot sweats, unable to sleep but tired all the time, no appetite feeling very sick, ibs, phoned to speak to doc yesterday she told me to take 2mg diazipam at night, took that last night slept a little better, felt a bit spaced out all day and had to have a sleep at lunch time, now have headache and getting tired again but kids are driving me mad at mo. Going to keep going as have been told will get better, its helpful to know not on my own with this, just looking forward to the day when i can live rather than exist, lets all try and find strength together in fighting the enemy of panics and anxiety

take care all Pam:hugs:

maxine
19-11-09, 11:48
Hi All,

I started taken 20mg fluxotine 2 days ago.. tonight will be my 3rd dose and I have to say after reading all the horror stories i was more than apprehensive about taking it, I didn't fancy feeling like pants for weeks!

However, so far , barr from feeling a little sick and anxious in the mornings I'm not doing too bad compared to alot of the stories I'm reading, slightly sleepy during the day but i'm keeping occupied.
No change to my anxiety levels as of yet but it seems to take weeks before it actually has an effect on that?

As I said all in I'm not feeling too bad.. yet!

Maxine

BexieB
20-11-09, 09:55
thanks for update...i'm day 10 seroxat, and can't see any end to this hell. lovely to know you're doing well

bexie

Pam.J
23-11-09, 14:37
Hi all,

Just thought i would update i am now on day 14, side effects are staring to wear off a little, my worst problems at the moment are the constant feeling on edge and the lack of appetite which is partly caused by a very dry mouth and throat and metallic taste, as well as a bloated feeling whenever i do manage to eat or drimk anything. I am trying to keep myself more positive although it can be very difficult at times, take care all

Pam:unsure:

LJL
24-11-09, 10:28
Pam

Just wanted to let you know that I am around the 5 week mark on Fluoxentine, 2 weeks ago I couldn't eat anything because I had such a dry mouth and had such a sick feeling I was always heaving especially in the morning, it does get better, the hungar pains start to come back and you will feel like eating again. I just wish I could stop feeling so tired :)

barrywin
24-11-09, 11:07
Hi All,
I was on Fluoxetine for a year but I was also taking Diazepam with it and hardly suffered any of the symptoms that you've all mentioned. Would strongly advise going back and talking to your GP's as there are other drugs like Diazepam that when taken in conjunction with Fluoxetin negate all the very unpleasant side effects.
Very best wishes to you all.Barry. Also - possibly talk to your GP about Lexapro ?

Pam.J
24-11-09, 13:55
Hi LJL

thanks for your reply at least i know there is light at the end of the tunnel, as for the tiredness i have to try and have a rest for a while midday to try and keep me going until bedtime then i read until i fall asleep

take care Pam:flowers:

Pam.J
07-12-09, 14:09
Hi Barry

I have been on fluxotine for 4 weeks now, initially my gp gave me diazipam to take as well to alleviate the awful side effects i was getting, but they now want me to stop taking them and only take one if i really need to but this isn't working but gp has just said stick with it, they are worried about the addictive side of taking diazipam, did you manage to come off them ok?

take care Pam

carter
07-12-09, 18:37
Day 49

hi guys i thought i would give you an update on how im feeling...

im a million times better, not 100% by no means and still off work unfortunatley, but to be honest can see me going back in the new year. (im not givin myself a time limit at present)

Still have anxiety but only slight (when i mean slight i mean im not scared to death) its still not very nice but i can deal with it and if im doing somthing i actually forget about it.

I have had 3 days of being completely normal, i thought great but then it came back in a big way. But i still managed to carry on as normal as i could, im pretty much out and about now and meeting friends ect...Im doing it but it really wears me out.

im also starting to feel 100% normal in bits and bobs no during the day ....then it comes back.

I hopin with time maybe it will go away forever...

My thoughts on fluoxetine...its by no means a quick fix and makes you hit rock bottom and my anxiety got so bad it caused me some mild agoraohobia for a bit...

but with each week you notice sight diffrences not much but very slight improvements in your mood...but it works at a snails pace..well for me anyway....i think everyone on the forum is right... its takes at least 3 months to work for anxiety...but i have to admit my panic attacks eased up to a reasonable level within about 3/4 weeks

ill come back in month and im hopin its with some good news....

ive got cbt next year for five hours a week so im hopin that gives me the boost i need..

Louix
05-01-10, 14:32
This feed has just made me feel so reassured... Im new to here and have found it so much help already - Was on citalopram for over a year, now changed to fluoxetine and im feeling so manic and panicy.... My anxiety has risen to a terrible level. As one person mentioned it i feel in constant fear... Thank you so much for all mentioning what you are experiencing as it has actually made me feel so comforted.

Also i would like to agree with the persons previous comment - I struggled and struggled for years without meds... They are there as support and to help people. I think it is unfair and misguiding recommending someone to just stop. So Johno i think your comment is unsupportive and very unhelpful.