PDA

View Full Version : Doing well but need some help... abdominal pain

Cococj
27-10-09, 07:59
Hey,

Things have changed dramatically for me over the last few months, I've gone from a nervous wreck, thinking I was going to die all the time, borderline agoraphobic, who could hardly do anything with his life to something I've hardly recognised now.

I've been on medication, had CBT, quit smoking, getting fitter, actually considering returning to work... those little aches and pains and worries that used to so consume my mind seem like nothing.

I have a problem though, it's not weighing on my mind too much but I wanted to get some thoughts on it to get it into perspective, and maybe stop it turning into a bigger issue.

I have had lower abdominal pain constantly for two weeks, between my pubic area and bellybutton. It's a dull aches and is NOT crampy in nature like my IBS pains used to be. I've considered it being muscular or something but although it's not crampy it does get worse when I have diarrhoea. I decided to wait a few more weeks to see if it settles down as I quit smoking 5 weeks back and it could be residual problems from that.

I guess I'm just asking for reassurance here, I'm male 31, so it's not a 'female' issue. Any thoughts?

Chris

Veronica H
27-10-09, 09:26
:yesyes:with all of the progress you have made Chris. it seems a shame to keep worrying about this for a few weeks which might set you back. you know that chances are this is nothing serious, but why not get the GP to check you out anyway so that you can move on.

Veronica

Cococj
27-10-09, 10:45
Hi Veronica,

Thanks for the reply, yeah I rang my doctor and arranged an appointment for tomorrow, now I'll put it out of my mind and get on with my day, scary that I can say that now, but any improvement is good improvement.

Chris

LisaLisa
27-10-09, 13:43
Hey

Chris

Absolutely anything goes when you stop smoking! Its like your body goes mental trying to deal with the imbalance of not having the nicotine, and it can take a good while to settle. Loads of stuff happened to when i gave up, and two of my friends are still ecpserienceing lots of odd things since stopping. One of them has weird rashes and cant sleep and is eating loads and has developed IBS and the other one gets totally hyper!! Odd but must be normal. I got really nervous a lot and worried more about stuff. ( I have started again and the worry has stayed though lol)

I would put your tummy probs down to that and maybe too many stomach exercises at gym?

Hope your okay

Lisa
xxx

Cococj
27-10-09, 16:13
Hi Lisa,

Yes I know what you mean about the smoking. Thankfully after 16 years of smoking when I finally decided to do it I was mentally prepared to quit this time, unlike the previous attempts where I'd done it half heartedly. I'm so glad I didn't read the support forums before I quit as to be honest the effect quitting has on your body is horrendous, thankfully I've dealt with most of them.

The stomach upsets, constipation, increased IBS symptoms were a problem for a few weeks then died down... or so I thought, I've had headaches, extreme tiredness and constipation - which is unusual for me as my IBS is D based. All of it I've just ignored and got on with quitting.

My concern about this particular pain is it's so specific and constant. IBS pain tends to be crampy and moves around different areas - particular areas but it doesn't bother them that much.

I haven't started any abdominal exercises as such so I doubt it's that.

The thing is it does feel muscular, in that there's tightness in the area, especially when standing, or when laying down with legs slightly bent. It's a constant dull ache, but is made worse by diarrhoea, so.. I dunno, I'm rambling. Also fullness of my bladder seems to have an effect on the tightness/pain, but it's all so non-consistent so I'm gonna give up speculating til the doctor gives me a lecture.

It could simply be my colon doing it's thing and dealing with the not smoking, I'll have a word with my doctor tomorrow and let him tell me off I think.

Thanks for your reply and words of support :)

Chris

nomorepanic
27-10-09, 16:25
I had a pain like this and it was a bladder infection so maybe it could be that.

Cococj
27-10-09, 17:24
Hi Nic, yeah I considered that too, but my urine and stuff is clear and normal. Hmm will update tomorrow after the doctor has poked and prodded and grilled me for an hour :)

Chris

Cell block H fan
27-10-09, 17:40
Well done on the stopping smoking. There was a good site years ago for people giving up smoking, cant remember what it was called. Something simple like stop smoking forum. But they would tell you if the changes you go through can make you feel the way you do x

Cell block H fan
27-10-09, 17:41
No smoking day, that was it x