PDA

View Full Version : Counselling??

Anniejay
06-11-05, 14:23
Hi,

Does anyone out there know if counselling helps with anxiety and panic? I've been to the Doc's and he has asked if I want counselling, but I said 'no', although now I'm beginning to wonder if it would be a good idea? I am just so sick of feeling permanently panicky and anxious about nothing and am willing to try anything!

Annie

3faces
06-11-05, 14:32
Hi there Annie:D

I have to say yes, it would help; I'm about to start group counselling sessions.
It's important to get to the root of why you are feeling anxious and panicky so that you can break it down inside your mind. There could be specific things that act as triggers for you and talking about it can only help. I always say, grab as much help as you can when offered because I know from my own experience, anxiety and panic are stopping me from living the life I want to live.

Hope this has helped a little, take care

Jem xxx

colin
06-11-05, 14:55
I think counselling is a very good thing, for to get to understand and
start to deal with the anxiety.

good luck colin

clickaway
06-11-05, 16:10
Hi Annie,

I would strongly recommend that you go back to your GP and ask for counselling.

I assume you will go for a NHS counsellor - private ones tend to cost about £30-£40 per hourly session.

I do feel that counselling/therapy will help you understand why you are like this and also give you more comfort, understanding and acceptance. That in itself will improve things.

Depending on your own personal history, treatment can take quite a while so dont expect instant results.

Keep posting,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

wobily_lin
06-11-05, 21:06
hi annie,

me too like everyone else would advise you to go to counciling. i find talking definitely helps and you are lucky your gp has offered it to you.im only about to start mine after begging my gp for 2 years.
its totally up to you but i hope it works out for you.

im new to this site. welcome annie.

lin x

doddy
06-11-05, 21:52
annie,

i cant stress how much i recommend you try it, i found it a massive help, just having someone to talk to openly and honestly who can give you an inpartial way to look at things was like a wieght of my shoulders.

good luck,

andy

kazo
07-11-05, 10:05
Hi Annie

I felt the same as you when my doctor recommended counselling but i thought ok i will give it a go. Last week was my first counselling session, i was so scared that i wasnt gonna go but remembering what i had read on forum about counselling i thought no go and see for yourself what it is like and if i feel it will help me.

So last week i went for my first session and found myself talking non stop for the hour and things came out that i had never even thought of before as bothering me. I feel counselling will be a great help to me.

Give it a try annie i think you will be surprised how much it can help.

Kazo xxx

Dan
07-11-05, 11:31
hi annie
youve have nothing to lose give it a go im starting some next week every bit of help is a positive step forward plus my lady said she can give me coping stratedys for panic/anxiety
dan

Anniejay
07-11-05, 17:43
Thanks everyone - I'm gonna go for it! Rang my Doctors this morning and they are going to get it sorted!

Annie

moogle101
07-11-05, 17:56
counselling helps but i never found it the answer to anything there, butthen again its different for everyone, buti would go to see if it will help, ans anxiety can be treated, when i went alot of diffenret techniques were used, just for the anxiety alone. i was given sheets where i had to write down my fear that i was feeling (i took these paper everywhere ) and then i had to think about that fear in variiouse degrees and situations, it lessend the fear, i cant remeber what it was called, but go to a councillor, even if they dont do much they are good to talk to

nomorepanic
07-11-05, 21:22
Annie

Yes go for it!! It is well worth it and will help you on the road to recovery.

Don't give up the opportunity.

Nicola

ClemmonsHoo
08-11-05, 15:00
Counseling has worked wonders for me. I learned simple exersises to do to calm myself, and I learned the mechanics of the mind that cause anxiety and panic attacks. I've never had counseling for anything before, and when my doc suggested it I kinda hesitated, but it has turned out to be a good experience for me.

Your Counselor will listen to your explanation of your problems and symptoms and then will ask you some questions. Based on your answers, he/she will be able to give you a course of action. It is really very easy and nothing to worry about.

My Counselor had me at ease in 2 minutes and I couldn't wait to go back the following week.

Good luck and take care.

rusky736
08-11-05, 17:19
anniejay: after needing 18 months of counselling for the loss of my mum i would promote counselling 100%. i dont think it will help your anxiety directly (of which i still suffer badly from as well as stress) but just the fact that your getting things "off your chest" and out of your head will help in the long run....just be prepared to be asked perhaps some "delving" questions...and try to find a counselor that is charity run...and wont charge you a fortune.
i will say two words that i think will help you...."spiritual healing"...or reiki (spelling)....i wasnt so open to the idea at first..but someone advised me to see one...even my doctor said try it...a year later, whether it really is reiki or just time helping me with my anxiety...something has really helped...perhaps try it...
hope ive helped...[:I]
russ
ps-pm me if u wish....

3faces
08-11-05, 19:38
Well done Annie for contacting your doctor and going for it:D

Remember grab any help where you can get it!!!!

Jem xxx