PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol limits

Cell block H fan
27-10-09, 15:32
So now I'm worrying I drink too much! Grrrr lol
Whats the alcohol limits per week for women? I drink 15 units a week, exactly, spot on! And thats over 2 nights per week. Used to drink more early to mid thirties, but haven't for about a year now. Didn't drink at all throughout my 20's. Didn't like it.
How much do you drink per week? What signs indicate your body is suffering?

amandaj
27-10-09, 16:03
hi i stopped drinking over 4 weeks ago, i saw my dr today who said i look like a different person now to what i did, i stopped because my liver was pickled its now back to normal, it also makes anxiety a hundred times worse, you dont actually drink that much i was drinking well lets say it was well over a hundred units aweek prob 150 most weeks if you enjoy it dont worry about it but if its making you worry then is it worth it i know it helps us to relax at the time best thing ive ever done wwas stopping

amandaxx

Cell block H fan
27-10-09, 16:14
hi i stopped drinking over 4 weeks ago, i saw my dr today who said i look like a different person now to what i did, i stopped because my liver was pickled its now back to normal, it also makes anxiety a hundred times worse, you dont actually drink that much i was drinking well lets say it was well over a hundred units aweek prob 150 most weeks if you enjoy it dont worry about it but if its making you worry then is it worth it i know it helps us to relax at the time best thing ive ever done wwas stopping

amandaxx

Yes I remember your PM about it. Thats a heck of a lot isn't it. I never actually get drunk these days (I used to always have a nasty hangover on a sunday after going out the night before) the kids dad would drop them back on a sunday afternoon & I would be feeling rotten, he said the other week he used to worry for my health! When I was with him for 10 years in my 20's I never drank, so he wasn't used to seeing me like that ever lol
I guess I'm worrying more about what I used to drink. Binge drinking was my forte!
Even though I only drink 15 units a week now, I have drunk 15 units a week, 2 nights a week for atleast a year, so dont even go a week without any alcohol?
I love the feeling of being tipsy, not drunk, & its my treat kinda thing when I am not working the next day twice a week. I work every other day basically. But dont drink thursday nights when i'm not working fridays. I would NEVER drink the night before work. Even though I dont get hangovers now, I just have that as a rule.
But I guess because ive only gone 3 or 4 days before drinking next I worry my liver wont of repaired itself from those years of binge drinking?

Jaco45er
27-10-09, 17:45
OK honestly?

I drink about 90 - 100 units a week to be fair. Easily done when you have a bottle of wine with most meals (well not breakfast and lunch ;))

I know it's far too much and I have noticed in the last little while I run out of steam in the gym and I am sure it's down to drinking that much.

I am starting to have drink free days now (I never used to drink much during the week, but have been lately).

I don't worry about it affecting my life, I work, I don't get violent, I don't make a fool of myself rolling around the floor outside KFC on a Friday night (at 42 that would be very sad)etc etc but I do have a nagging doubt about my health with regards to drink.

As for you H fan, I wouldn't worry it doesn't sound like you are drinking to excess.

I am not convinced 21 units for a man is that much over a week, but in this nanny state they have to start low. A doc did say once it's a bit like BMI, it doesn't take into account your size. I am 14 1/2 stone, 5 11 so I would imagine that it would have a lot less effect on me than say a man of 10 stone.

Ironically, the only time I did not drink was when I suffered terrible anxiety.

That said, when I don't drink for a few days I do find I feel better in the day, but there is no getting away from the fact that I do enjoy an evening drink.

Interesting topic though.

As they say, I am not drinking anymore, but I am not drinking any less either ;)

Jaco

Cell block H fan
27-10-09, 18:04
OK honestly?

I drink about 90 - 100 units a week to be fair. Easily done when you have a bottle of wine with most meals (well not breakfast and lunch ;))

I know it's far too much and I have noticed in the last little while I run out of steam in the gym and I am sure it's down to drinking that much.

I am starting to have drink free days now (I never used to drink much during the week, but have been lately).

I don't worry about it affecting my life, I work, I don't get violent, I don't make a fool of myself rolling around the floor outside KFC on a Friday night (at 42 that would be very sad)etc etc but I do have a nagging doubt about my health with regards to drink.

As for you H fan, I wouldn't worry it doesn't sound like you are drinking to excess.

I am not convinced 21 units for a man is that much over a week, but in this nanny state they have to start low. A doc did say once it's a bit like BMI, it doesn't take into account your size. I am 14 1/2 stone, 5 11 so I would imagine that it would have a lot less effect on me than say a man of 10 stone.

Ironically, the only time I did not drink was when I suffered terrible anxiety.

That said, when I don't drink for a few days I do find I feel better in the day, but there is no getting away from the fact that I do enjoy an evening drink.

Interesting topic though.

As they say, I am not drinking anymore, but I am not drinking any less either ;)

Jaco

lol i like that, not drinking anymore, but i'm not drinking any less :yesyes:

kazzie
27-10-09, 18:42
Hi:D

Please dont worry:hugs:

Like Amanda I also pickled my liver and when I finally fessed up to what I drank it was......wait for it........247 units a week!!!!!

I recovered like Amanda but was 4 months of no booze whatsoever!!!

I also held down a job etc etc

I still drink now and if Im honest prob on par with Jaco but I weigh less than 10 stone!!!

I found it killed my appetite and I had malnutrition on top of liver failure!!

Think answer is dont drink more units than there are hours in a day....no that sounds wrong right body gets rid of 1 unit per hour so if you drink say 10 units give it a good rest before you have anymore!!!

Anyhow sorry for rambling post but hope it helps

Kaz x:hugs:

Cell block H fan
27-10-09, 19:25
Hi:D

Please dont worry:hugs:

Like Amanda I also pickled my liver and when I finally fessed up to what I drank it was......wait for it........247 units a week!!!!!

I recovered like Amanda but was 4 months of no booze whatsoever!!!

I also held down a job etc etc

I still drink now and if Im honest prob on par with Jaco but I weigh less than 10 stone!!!

I found it killed my appetite and I had malnutrition on top of liver failure!!

Think answer is dont drink more units than there are hours in a day....no that sounds wrong right body gets rid of 1 unit per hour so if you drink say 10 units give it a good rest before you have anymore!!!

Anyhow sorry for rambling post but hope it helps

Kaz x:hugs:

Thats the problem for me, It can take me a good few hours to drink the 7 & a half units, probably about 4 or 5, but once its gone, I get the munchies big time! So I am probably about a stone heavier than I want to be lol
I was definately thinner when I didn't drink :weep:

Jaco45er
27-10-09, 20:57
You know them big bag of crisps? like the 150 gram bags? I can do a bag, on my own (kids in bed, evil I know ;)) after half bottle of wine because of the munchies.

It's not AA I need, its SA (Snackaholics anon)

allyp82
27-10-09, 21:53
Very interesting topic. i have been beating myself up about my drinking. have spent about 5 Years drinking about a bottle of wine a night. 70 Units a week. i know it is not good and i want to not want ro drink but i find it hard. certainly this has been the cause of my health anxiety but i still continue! i am 26

amandaj
28-10-09, 05:52
can i just add also that it was so much easier than i thought to stop drinking , im not even missing it i now drink alcohol free lager it makes me think im drinking but without the nasty hangovers everyday, cellblock like i said before you will be fine id drink what you do in a week prob in an hour xx

Cell block H fan
28-10-09, 08:23
Thanks for all your replies. I think I just worry about anything & everything at the moment. Today I'm bricking it because my 12 yr old is having a filling at 10.30am. Dreading it, if I could have it for her, I would in a shot! Hopefully this will be the last thing she needs doing.
I cant imagine never drinking again Amanda! Hats off to you. I wish I liked beer, I would of given that a go, I dont expect they do vodka & coke that actually tastes like it? lol I dont like wine, so alcohol free wine is out too :o(

amandaj
28-10-09, 08:35
your daughter will be fine it will be over in no time my daughter wen for a filling last week and her dad had to go with her she still hates t,never heard of a drink that taste like vodka but if i do ill let you know lol, alcohol free wine not seen that i used to drink wine so would give that a go i dont like beer either but its all i could find lol

Jaco45er
28-10-09, 09:04
The Coop do an alcohol free wine.

There is also alcohol free products here:

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/

I am off to look for a low calorie doner kebab supplier

Humly
28-10-09, 09:18
I've got the opposite problem at the moment. Cant/dont want to drink. The thought of it makes me sick. Didnt drink much anyway but used to like to have a nice glass of wine at the weekends.

Cell block H fan
28-10-09, 09:49
your daughter will be fine it will be over in no time my daughter wen for a filling last week and her dad had to go with her she still hates t,never heard of a drink that taste like vodka but if i do ill let you know lol, alcohol free wine not seen that i used to drink wine so would give that a go i dont like beer either but its all i could find lol

True, 20 minutes max ey. x

Cell block H fan
28-10-09, 09:50
The Coop do an alcohol free wine.

There is also alcohol free products here:

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/

I am off to look for a low calorie doner kebab supplier

Haha! How cool would that be :yesyes:

amandaj
28-10-09, 10:05
that is a greatt website for alcohol free wine and ill be popping off to the coop lol,not sure about low calorie kebab but mcds is my downfall atm wonder if theyd start a low cal bigmac,anyway cell block hope all goes ok at the dentist
amandax

Cell block H fan
28-10-09, 12:01
that is a greatt website for alcohol free wine and ill be popping off to the coop lol,not sure about low calorie kebab but mcds is my downfall atm wonder if theyd start a low cal bigmac,anyway cell block hope all goes ok at the dentist
amandax
She was great, real nervous before she went in & she didn't like the water spraying in her mouth, but the girl did good :yesyes: