PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Anxiety!

Lion King
27-10-09, 20:09
Hi All,

Long time since I started a thread! Had a training session at work, and like always for the 1st hour I feel anxious and a bit tense, as the day progresses and I get comfortable I can relax and the anx subsides. The anxiety starts to be controlled when I think externally and not on what I'm feeling internally, this is great but I am wondering how I can control the initial nerves without taking medication so that I don't have to put up with these anxious feelings.

If anyone has any suggestions on calmimng the nerves please tell me!

LK

Bill
28-10-09, 02:39
how I can control the initial nerves without taking medication so that I don't have to put up with these anxious feelings.

By accepting them as being normal. They may make us feel uncomfortable but they happen for a reason- to prepare us for battle.

You see, if you accept them, you stop trying to fight against them because it's trying to resist them that makes you feel worse. Let them in just as you would think about a sneeze and then they won't bother you either because you'll then relax.

A footballer who doesn't feel a little anxious before a match will most often not perform well because their body will not be prepared. However, too much anxiety before a match creates too much adrenalin which then impairs their ability to play. It's a question of balance but feeling anxious before something that makes us fear "losing" is perfectly normal.

The other key is experience. The more experienced we are, the more confident we become, the less we fear but we have to accept experience only comes from learning which will naturally make us feel more anxious in the beginning because we'll be unsure of what to expect or how well we'll cope. Practise creates confidence.:winks:

jude uk
28-10-09, 05:48
I agree with bill here and practise does make perfect. One thing I do before any meeting is to go over it in my mind and picture myself in the situation. You may start at a 10=high anxiety but as you picture it more that may come down to a 5 or 4. No one ever comes down to zero unless your my 10 yr old son who lives in a world of his own:)

I have fought in muay thai fights and even though I know I can beat the guy I am still nervous but by round 3 I am feeling better...more brused but better and you will feel the same. Keep at

be blessed

Lion King
28-10-09, 18:11
Thanks very much some real quality advice! Repeated exposure does make it easier, its just the initial nerves,that is taking longer to bring down, but like you both say this will drop to a comfortable level if I learn to accept it and see it as part of making a good performance.

Thanks for your support!

LK:)

young-mum
28-10-09, 19:39
i liv in flintshire does any1 no any CBT (cognitive vehaviour therapy) classses in my area???? plz help x

johnno
28-10-09, 19:40
young mum try this site :) www.dhamma.org (http://www.dhamma.org)
not cbt its meditation which i feel is better

young-mum
28-10-09, 19:55
thnks johnno will look nw x