PDA

View Full Version : Hi

sam_lowry
27-10-09, 21:56
Hi

I have been getting panic attacks for 7 or 8 years now. The first attack was really bad as it took me by surprise and I was taken to hospital, but it was found that everything seemed normal.

After the initial attack further bad attacks happened infrequently: every two years roughly, though I had some minor attacks between these times.

Since 2007 the attacks have become more frequent, and I am currently going through the worst spell of these that I have ever experienced. I ended up in a really dark place anxiety wise about three weeks ago, and since then it has been a really up and down experience. I am now worried about by job, which this anxiety has for the first time begun to affect.

I have had various tests and my doctor re-assures me that the symptoms that I have been experiencing are definitely panic attacks and no more. It's pretty hard to believe that when you have them, as the symptoms seem very real at the time and they really do leave you with a feeling that something is wrong with you. Nevertheless, they eventually pass, and it's as though nothing happened after they are gone. Symptoms I have are a racing heart beat or 'heavy' heart beats, a knot in the stomach; sometimes I also have dizziness, cold fingers, skipped heartbeats, and a kind of tunnel vision. The attacks are accompanied by a really bad feeling, and sometimes I have attacks that solely consist of this really bad feeling, and a feeling where I am convinced that I am unwell or that something really bad is going to happen.

I am currently undergoing therapy, but am not on any medication.

I have joined the forum, as I have found reading it has been a great help. It's good to know you are not alone in experiencing these things.

Thanks for Reading

diane07
27-10-09, 21:57
Hi sam_lowry

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Veronica H
27-10-09, 23:19
:welcome:Sam. Glad that you have found us.

Veronica