PDA

View Full Version : Adrenaline rush or panic attack?

frank_begbie
28-10-09, 17:42
I've had my share of panic attacks over the years and I know when I'm having one.

I was out walking with my dog earlier around a small lake and I noticed a couple of people with dogs a couple of hundred yards in front of me.

My dog is generally ok with other dogs but now and again he will turn on another dog if he gets threatened so naturally I get a little bit tense when there's other dogs near to.

As it happens, things were ok but halfway around the lake I started to feel really drained, like I had run a marathon or done something really strenuous. My legs were like jelly, I was sweating and I felt as though I needed to eat something to restore my energy levels.

I've had this feeling lots times over the years but I've never associated it with a panic attack. It wore of after I got back home.

I'm wondering if this is a slightly different panic attack to the ones I'm used to having?

Does anyone recognize the symptoms I'm talking about?

tomtom
28-10-09, 18:12
If you didn't feel like you were actually in panic and you felt drained / hungry, maybe it is just blood sugar? I tend to get a bit wibbly wobbly if I don't snack between an early breakfast and lunch. :happy:

johnno
28-10-09, 18:35
na its definitely panic . panic differs for different people. when i panic i feel super drained my body goes weak but tensed at same time.
check the thread out about meditation that will help you understand

tomtom
28-10-09, 18:51
It could well be panic... I get the drained feelings during and after also, I guess it depends on how you interpret 'a little bit tense' :D. It is also entirely possible to get tense about a situation and then feel drained after without it being panic, I have experienced this many times myself when being in certain pressure situations.

johnno
28-10-09, 19:22
yep thats true :) but its still a by product of the panic. nothing worse when you feel that helpless when someone comes up to you and your mind goes numb ...grr lol

gypsywomen
28-10-09, 19:42
i agree with johnno it will have been panic it comes on so fast then you feel weak after

johnno
28-10-09, 19:46
yeah it is abit of both aint it ? panic and adreniline because to you its a danger so your scared and your body is reacting to that fear, a woman i know used to hide behind bins when she seen someone she knew bless her lol i just do the obvious and run away haha just kiddin

frank_begbie
28-10-09, 19:54
If you didn't feel like you were actually in panic and you felt drained / hungry, maybe it is just blood sugar? I tend to get a bit wibbly wobbly if I don't snack between an early breakfast and lunch. :happy:

I don't think its the Blood Sugar thing as its happened before and I'd only just had my dinner/lunch.

Its just not a full blown panic attack, in my opinion.

I've had the low Blood Sugar feeling before.

For instance when I've been returning from a long cycle ride and I hadn't had anything to eat for a while.

gypsywomen
28-10-09, 19:55
its nice to laugh its good for your soul. perhapsif we did when we had an attack it might reverse it ,,

frank_begbie
28-10-09, 19:59
yeah it is abit of both aint it ? panic and adreniline because to you its a danger so your scared and your body is reacting to that fear, a woman i know used to hide behind bins when she seen someone she knew bless her lol i just do the obvious and run away haha just kiddin

Yeah. A panic attack is when the adrenaline kicks in when you're not expecting it.

With this, there's a sort of reason for the adrenaline to kick in, with the feeling a bit nervous.

I just didn't realise it till now.

johnno
28-10-09, 20:00
lol i cant talk never mind laugh when am in a panic lol i always try and laugh about everything, seriousness is an illness

johnno
28-10-09, 20:01
yeah adrenaline kicks in when something is a danger to ya , its a heightened state really . and i read i brilliant thing the other day ,was great advice eve

johnno
28-10-09, 20:03
it said whenever you feel paniced or agitated or anything else like that just keep telling yourself its only a heightened state of mind

lynn1960
28-10-09, 21:49
sounds like a panic mine are some times they seem quite small then i get a full blown one

keleb0709
29-10-09, 03:31
It could be just a release of lactic acid. This happens when everyone exercises which is what causes weakness and a jelly feeling. I get it especially when i've been out walking in the warm weather. If you react to it then you will also get a rush of adrenaline causing panic too. So i think a mixture of both x

Gaza
29-10-09, 12:42
Hi Frank,

It sounds like you burnt up the surplus glucose in your blood which left you feeling drained and wobbly....anxious people, like ourselves tend to burn much higher levels than the calmer folk. Your bodies stored glucose (in your liver) will break down what you need for you to continue on with your walk. If it happens again, simply slow down your walk or whatever it is your doing and allow yourself to replenish your supply. Have a decent breakfast (as a panic attack sufferer this is very important) not too much of the wrong sugars though.

Most of the time you need a good diet plan or regular small meals that are nutrious and will sustain you throughout your day. When you feel a little more anxious, like when you saw the other dogs in the park, you needed more adrenaline etc to be released to make you more alert to the danger, hence the sudden peak point of noticing the dogs in the distance, then you had the low point after the threat had passed and your body available sugar supply dropped temporarily, nothing serious, perfectly normal, just give yourself more time to recover. Although left a little jittery and wobbly, you'll notice you can still waddle on (as so to speak) and finish your walk.

I get like this a lot and know I have over-stressed myself and used up my supply of sugars, so stick a chocolate bar or some sweets in your pocket (not the best of the sugars to use) but they give you a surge to get you home. Once there make yourself a ham or chicken sandwich with wholemeal bread and that'll stabilise your blood sugars for you within hour or so.

All the best, hope your well.......
Gaza