PDA

View Full Version : Waking up in a panic

hello_mrzebra
28-10-09, 18:42
I tired posting this question is some other related threads but I guess I need to try asking it with it's own thread.

Does anyone else ever wake up in the middle of the night and feel like they're already in the middle of a panic attack?

I woke up at 4 am last night feeling VERY lightheaded and VERY short of breath. I tried to slow my breathing down with the 7-11 technique, but couldn't get past the air hunger threshold as I was breathing out slowly - I kept feeling like I had to gasp for more air. I have a lot of anxiety but rarely have full-blown panic attacks, but this kinda felt like one.

I don't know if it came on as I was sleeping or as soon as I woke up out of breath though.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this related to their anxiety?

I am worrying that I have some sleep and/or breathing disorder like sleep apnea or something. This is not the first time this has happened.

Thanks.

Maj
28-10-09, 18:54
Yes, I've woken during the night with this before. It's when I'm feeling stressed. It's one of the more horrible symptoms of anxiety, isn't it:curse: It's probably related to an anxious dream but so bad that it actually wakens you up. Probably like some people grind their teeth during sleep because they are anxious. Hope you get a better night's sleep tonight!
Myra

hello_mrzebra
28-10-09, 19:53
Thanks guys. I'm seeing now all the other threads about this issue (I swear I did a search before I posted this thread, but I guess I didn't search with the right terms :blush:)

It helps so much to realize this is a very common symptom for people. I guess some of us hold all our anxiety together during the day and it comes out while we sleep?

I dunno, it's a terrible feeling tho. But knowing I'm not the only one is already making my chest relax, which just verifies that it's all anxiety anyway, which in turn makes me feel even better.

Be well everyone!

Cell block H fan
28-10-09, 20:32
Not had this myself, but it must be very scarey, especially in the night xxx

nikkinik
29-10-09, 13:39
Hi, I also get this.

The worst thing for me is waking up weak. It happens a lot.

Its hard to describe.. but like when youve been ill with a tummy bug, the weak shaley feeling you get? Well its like that. I literally shake just picking up a glass of water, it seems to take all my energy just picking up the glass or lifting my body up.

It happens whether Ive drank enough or not, eaten enough or not, or panicked or not!! Ive tried to find an explanation but can never find one!

Sometimes I do wake in a panic, no idea what Ive dreamed about... sometimes its taken a while to realise where I am, to stop shaking etc, sometimes Ive felt terrified too!

xx.

dolphin73
29-10-09, 19:35
i sometimes wake up in a panic shaking, sweating,heart pounding i know its ,my anxiety and it does scare me, i wonder why i panic in the morning it's as if i can start an attack off without even opening my eyes

Jac 2009
29-10-09, 19:45
I wake up every night at about four o clock - have done for years. Mostly I am not panicking but sometimes I am. I lie in bed practising breathing and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I have not idea why. If it doesn't work, I descent into extreme hyperventiation - gasping for air. I must have done this a thousand times - and I'm not exaggerating - and I'm sick of it.

I made an appointment today with a bloke who practises CBT and hynotherapy and I also had a very helpful message from a member called Gazza talking about living through it, letting it wash over you and not be afraid.

How sad is it that we exchange these messages when all we're really doing is making ourselves ill. Let's hope there's an answer out there. But for now it's good to know that you're not alone and loads of other people suffer what you do. xxxxxx