PDA

View Full Version : hi new to forum

dizzykate
28-10-09, 18:50
Hiya

I have found this forum as I have been having panic attacks really badly since I was about 16 and I am now 50

They sort of went went the kids were little (I have six aged from 28 to 12) but came back about five years ago with a vengence. I had sort of developed a coping mechanism and have managed to talk myself out of them for the last six months but today at work I had the worst one ever. I really thought I was going to die and have spent the whole day in A & E. I am truly fed up of this cos I love my job and hate the thought of these horrid things spoiling it. My collegues excepting my manager are all loads younger than me and I am really worried they will think I am some dippy old lady, dont want to have another one so am looking at some of the self help stuff online

Seems like everyone has similar experiences on here and that helps but my heart goes out to the younger ones its not fair that our mind can control our bodies in such an extreme way.

nomorepanic
28-10-09, 18:53
Hi dizzykate

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

johnno
28-10-09, 18:54
hey check out this site :)
its for meditation retreat :)
www.dhamma.org

johnno
28-10-09, 18:55
oh and another thing its free :) but donations are welcome after u have completed the course

Maj
28-10-09, 19:02
Hi,

I can relate to you so much. I too had anxiety when I was a teenager, brought up my family, and last year when I turned 50 I started having some anxiety symptoms again - although not as bad as before. I don't know if it's got something to do with your family getting older and more independent and you've got more time to think about how YOU are feeling!! Also I think it is hormonal,:wacko: in my case anyway!! I've had a bit of stress recently and had an occasional symptom of anxiety. Try not to let this panic attack worry you too much. You know you'll get back on track again given time and acceptance that you're maybe a wee bit stressed just now. I agree, I feel for younger people who suffer from anxiety and depression, life is hard enough. Reading posts from people on here will really help you when you realise that there are others going through what you are and this will help you cope better.
Take care
Myra:hugs:

Veronica H
28-10-09, 19:21
:welcome:Kate. Sorry that panic attacks are bothering you again. I think Myra is on to something as that is pretty much the conclusion that I came to as well.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a fellow sufferer who really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Veronica