PDA

View Full Version : driving

abcdd
26-01-04, 03:47
Please help me I can't drive I feel like I am going to lose my memory and then I will be lost forever (is that weird) I can drive when someone is in the car with me but NOT alone. except I have a certain little area that I can drive to about 1 mile and that is it. Am I going crazy? Please I will take any advice please help.

Meg
26-01-04, 17:51
Hi Amy,

At my worst I wouldn't drive alone at all. Not even to my favorite farm shops within a mile or two.

Today I left at 5 am to drive from Nottingham to Bracknell and back in freezing conditions. I've done 289.7 miles today without any issues at all and will be repeating it on Wednesday. So you can get better. I am living proof of that.

I was convinced I would go mad and amnesic so I had names and addresses stuck to my dashboard, a note on the passenger seat explaining who I was and what might have happened to me . A Paddington Bear type label on my work bag. Emergency numbers in my mobile phone - left open at that default number.. need I go on ?? You think I am kidding but I'm not.

BUT I made myself go out in the car and drive.

One day the fear all got too much and I drove aimlessly in tears and being literally sick for about 3 hours along the motorway and round the country lanes. I did have someone on standby on the end of the phone but didn't call them.

I got home still knowing who I was and where I lived which suprised me enormously. It got better from there - slowly .

So as we say on here JFDI. The last two words are Do It.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

abcdd
26-01-04, 18:24
I really thought I was alone in thinking I would forget who I am I too write down names and numbers before I go anywhere. I know that I need to just drive like you said but it is hard I am going to try though thanks for your message.

Buby
26-01-04, 18:48
hi abcdd,

there is lots of advice on here, but im not sure what you mean about losing your mind. i probably wont undersatnd as i dont go through what you go through, but as long as someone on here knows what your going through then you will be totally fine. trust us we are good friends and will be here for you for as long as you need us.

hugs Rachel xx

nomorepanic
26-01-04, 20:37
Hi abcdd

Have you read my story on the website - then you will see that I fully understand.

The way I am overcoming it is to keep doing it - oh yeah it is hard work and yes there is panic and tears but it is the only way to conquer it.

Just drive around locally and then a bit further and bit more etc.

You will get the confidence back I promise.

Nicola