PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and 5-HTP

springy
29-10-09, 09:04
Hello,
I'm new here. My GP has prescribed me Citalopram and I have decided to start taking it to see if it helps me.
I don't feel 'depressed' as such but get a lot of anxiety and insomnia.
Anyway, my question is that previous to starting the Citalopram (last night when I went to bed) I had been taking 5-HTP atbedtime to try and help with my sleeping.
I took my last 5-HTP on Tuesday night and as I was starting the anti-d's last night (Wednesday) I obviously didn't take the 5-HTP as they should not be taken together (?) but I am now worried (remember I mentioned anxiety - lol) that I didn't leave long enough between stopping the 5-HTP (Tuesday night I took 5-HTP) then just 24 hours later (Wednesday night) I started the Citalopram.
I have read the conflict between the 2 on the internet is Serotonin Syndrome and I am now sat here looking after my 3 young children worrying I've poisoned myself and have it! Silly I know but that's honestly how I feel.
I am not going to take the 5-HTP now I have decided to start Citalopram but should I go ahead and take my 2nd anti-d tonight before bed now I have started?
Argh, I'm so confused. Wish I had thought before but a bit late now.
Thanks in advance.