PDA

View Full Version : My Story

blackberry1972
29-10-09, 17:01
Just thought I’d say hello and tell you my story if that’s ok.

In November of last year my 77 year old Father was diagnosed with Motor Neuron disease. Realising I didn’t have much time left with him I brought forward my planned wedding proposal to my girlfriend (I proposed on Christmas day) and we quickly organised the wedding for June this year.
Unfortunately my father passed away in March but the wedding still went ahead.
Just before we went on our Honeymoon I got a bit of a back ache which I quickly dismissed as I’ve always suffered with various aches and pains in my back most probably because I am quite tall.
Anyway when I got back from my honeymoon and my back was no better I decided to see an Osteopath. For some reason I started to worry about this and then I convinced myself I might have the same horrible disease that killed my father despite the fact that A) it’s very rare and B) it’s not hereditary.

Before I finally went to the Osteopath I actually broke down and told my Wife my concerns. She tried to comfort me but it seemed that everything she said was the wrong thing. Pretty soon after I started getting aches in my hands which was the first thing my Father noticed before he was diagnosed although he actually lost the use of his hands pretty quickly and also I was getting some muscle twitching all over me especially when I went to bed.

I finally went to the GP and explained my problem. She was very understanding and said that what I was describing to her sounded like Anxiety brought on perhaps by some delayed grieving over my Father as I never really had enough time to grieve due to the wedding. My hand pain slowly went away and the twitching decreased as well.
Then one day I decided to Google Muscle Twitching and Wikipedia told me that it could be a symptom of disease of the Motor Neurons. BANG I was right back where I started and in fact I felt worse.
Suddenly the muscle twitching got worse so I saw my GP and got a referral to a grievance counselor who so far I have seen 4 times.

Currently I have good days and bad days. I usually wake up with butterflies in my stomach and wait for the first twitch of the day. Sometimes I am busy at work and I realise I have gone hours without any twitching and other times I can’t stop thinking about it.

I am a fitness fanatic who works out 5 times a week including a couple of 5 miles runs. I think my Fathers disease has tapped in to my worse fear of being incapacitated.
I have told my Boss at work and so far he has been understanding and has decreased my workload when needed.

Thanks for listening

nomorepanic
29-10-09, 17:02
Hi blackberry1972

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Veronica H
29-10-09, 21:06
:welcome:to NMP. This is a friendly site with good information and support. It is understandable that you should be where you are now given what has happened and the fear this must have generated. This will get better.

Veronica

Patty
30-10-09, 23:09
Hi Blackberry1972, :)

:welcome:to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes

onceagain
30-10-09, 23:18
Hi Blackberry :)