PDA

View Full Version : Been prescribed Citalopram

Deepest Blue
29-10-09, 22:15
Hi:hugs:

I've been on Propranalol 30mg for about 2 weeks now and not really helped me so I went back to my GP and he's given me Citalopram 20mg to take along with the Propranalol.

I've read a lot about these on various sites and on this forum and I am not happy about the fact that you can put on weight when on these, I am hoping that if I keep to a good diet (or even cut down) that it won't affect my weight.

I know these things are not miracle cures and I guess what I am really only hoping for are for these meds to just calm me down a little, to get myself back in control of my emotions so that I don't worry or stress about the things around me so much, especially if I have to face difficult challanges I want to approach these challanges with confidence instead of always fearing and panicing about them, maybe even make me feel a bit happier. I hope these are the right ones for me as there are so many meds that can be administered it's difficult for GP's to always know what's right for you and what's not.

Thanks for reading.
Take Care.

challangerchris
30-10-09, 00:13
Citalopram has been a life saver for me. It has done exactly what you hope it will do for you - made everything so much more managble and given me the confidence to try get out and meet new people.

Its not a mircale cure, I see my citalopram as a short term fix while I can understand and help myself using various self help techniques.

Theres a very small chance I could do CBT without citalopram, so its giving me the ability to do CBT and be able to concentrate on therapy. Hopefuly once I have started my CBT (13 days and counting for my assesment) I can reduce my citalopram by taking it every other day instead of daily and then down to every 3 days until I'm ready to come off it completely.

Good luck (i've just added you to my MSN if thats ok) - chat whenever you need. :)

chickpea
30-10-09, 11:03
If it's anycomfort, I've LOST weight on Citalopram :ohmy:
Not good for me personally, as I was tiny to start with.

I've been on it for nearly 8 weeks now, and it is definitely working.
However, the chances of me getting CBT on the NHS are nil - the waiting list here is 1-2 years.
Instead, I'm using every self-help method I can find - supplements (omega 3, Vitamin B, magnesium, Rescue Remedy), relaxation, deep breathing, a cbt book and Claire Weekes' "Self help for your nerves", which is a brilliant book and highly recommended by loads of people who have ever felt like you do now.
You can buy it on Amazon for less than £6 - worth it's weight in gold.