PDA

View Full Version : Methods to help pannic attacks...

Julesy
30-10-09, 13:38
Hi
I thought I would start up a thread of all of our little tips to help with panic attacks. My tips are as follows, but feel free to add to the list...

*Sucking strong mints
*Eliminating caffeine from diet
*Taking deep breaths from a tissue with a few drops of lavender
*Avoiding over indulging on alcohol
*Reading motivational self helf books
*writing a list of all the things that make you feel good (it forces you into a more postive frame of mind)

So has anyone else found any little remedies?

gypsywomen
30-10-09, 13:43
music its grea it takes mind of it singing

gtrgrl3369
30-10-09, 13:49
Music was a definite help for me also rading self help books.
For those who can leave the house, a nice long walk helps calm nerves.

candee86
30-10-09, 18:22
Yeah I find exercise helps when I am anxious and the main help for me is music...just having my ipod on calms me down so much as I am more interested in singing along than panicing hehe!
I also have put together some of my favourite facts and self help information and read it when panicy because it really reminds me that it is all in my head and nothing can harm me.
Also can you recommend any self help books Julesy as I am trying to find a good one but would like some recommendations

Thanks
Candy xxx

nutteetart
30-10-09, 18:54
What a great thread, i hope this stays bouyant with positive hope for us.

I found that when i attempt my walks and drives for my agoraphobia, i take an apple. When you eat is slowly, it regulates your breathing.

Also, if you are afraid to go out like me, if you are pushed into a situation outside your boundaries and find yourself really anxious, get involved with something asap in your surroundings and if possible move about. Helps distribute the adrenalin and helps you breathe better. If it goes wrong dont beat yourself up like i do. Not helpful and extremely destructive. Say STOP if you end up in a mental negative battle!

Set tasks in small steps. Set achievable goals and practice.

Listen to the positive advice you give others! (think we are all bad at that)

Cant think of any more at the mo but keep this thread going Please. X

getingwats
31-10-09, 04:45
psychotherapy treatment are more effective than medication alone in overcoming panic attacks. To address anxiety, cognitive behavioral therapy is widely accepted as an effective form of psychotherapy. This form of therapy seeks to help those with panic disorder identify and decrease the irrational thoughts and behaviors that reinforce panic symptoms.

nutteetart
31-10-09, 13:02
When i went out in the car, in my head i gave myself a running commentary of the route. It helped
X

Julesy
31-10-09, 22:29
In reply to one question above, I have found Geoff Thompson a good author and his book Fear the friend of exceptional people is excellent. Its a case of trial and error, I buy loads!

I also forgot to add to my list, when I get panicky when driving, I wind all windows down. It sounds very simple, but it really is effective as part of the panic process is feeling like you cant breathe!

I agree that therapy of any type is way better than medication. I used to have reflexology, just for a relaxing treat more than anything. My reflexologist was the most calming lovely lady ever. She told me to use visualisation. Its very difficult at first, but I have to say it works.

She suggests that when you walk around, imagine that you have a small bubble around you. Nobody can get in this bubble and invade your personal space so you can calmly walk around watching the rest of the world hustle by, but you are always happy and safe in the invisible bubble.

Its a bit deep but try it!