PDA

View Full Version : New Here, Helpp

Butterfly23
31-10-09, 01:24
Hi all,

So here's my problem. I have been a nervous wreck for as long as I can remember, but lately its been out of control! I worry about nearly everything, and when I'm not worrying, I subconsciously find something else to fester about. I'm a college student, and I worry myself sick over exams and papers to the point where I start shaking, cant eat, cant sleep. Apparently this isnt normal because my anxiety lasts the whole semester. Ill take a test, and walk out of class feeling pretty bad about it.. then it escalates to "I know I failed." Maybe I did or maybe I didn't? I never really know for sure, but I do what I can to get the best grade possible.

That's not even the beginning of my worries. I feel like I have this overwhelming social phobia. I get nervous talking to people lately, and feel very self conscious. I felt like a group of guys were staring at me and making jokes about me in class the other day... but maybe it's just my anxiety? I feel like I say stupid things sometimes and the situation will repeat over and over again in my head until it sounds not so embarrassing. I always feel like people see me as weird.

So when this social/college anxiety isn't going on.. I move into my hypochondria phase where I feel like I have every disease in the book.

I mean, I know everyone has anxiety, but they're not supposed to be constant and overwhelming. I don't feel like I can act like myself anymore, but all I want is for me to just be happy and normal again. I want to wake up in the morning, and be content.

Any advice?

Hopeful23
31-10-09, 01:34
I think the fact that you can go to school everyday and sit in class is GREAT! YOu should be proud of yourself, I take online classes because I can't sit in a room like that for long periods of time! I think your worries are normal for a college student, i'm sure it doesn't feel that way to you but if you didn't worry about how you do on tests and other school work then you wouldn't study and you wouldn't even be in college.

The thinking that people are looking at you and think that you are weird is a self-esteem thing. I used to be the same way, i only feel that way now If i'm having a panic attack because I feel weird. Talk to a Therapist.......they can really help you to feel more confident in yourself. That would help with tests and with being in public in general.

Feeling like you have every disease possible, I am the same way. But I've had health problems since I was little so I always think I'm getting worse. have you ever had any health problems and if so, then thats probley why you worry all the time about it, if not then just go get a complete physical, maybe that would help ease your mind a bit.

I don't know that this has helped much...but I hope it has.

Good-Luck
Hopeful23

P.S. I've only been on this site for 2 days, and it's probley the best site you could have came to!

Butterfly23
31-10-09, 01:54
Thanks for the reply!
I wish my worries felt normal but a lot of my friends tell me to calm down. I have had a lot of panic attacks before. I can totally understand why you take online classes. Regular ones are too long and more nerve-wracking.

And, that whole self-esteem thing is pretty true. I've never felt high esteem although people tell me that I should. Having a therapist would be so much help except they're so soo expensive and i have no health insurance currently :[

And as for the disease thing, I really don't know how this fear came about. I just remember being 4 or 5 and watching a show on AIDS and wondering if I somehow caught it from someone sneezing near me. I also remember drinking a whole bottle of grape soda, and wondering if I'd get diabetes from it. And it just kept getting worse. But if I were to get a physical now, and if say I was worrying about cancer... the doctor might say that I'm okay. It'll take not even a few days for me to move onto something else.

But thank youu for your help!