PDA

View Full Version : inositol or sjw

Humly
31-10-09, 09:28
I think that anxiety is making me depressed so what's best to go for inositol or sjw? Not currrently on any meds. What works the quickest?

erin31
01-11-09, 19:35
Hi. I too had the same problem as yourself earlier this week i.e. deciding between SJW or inositol and after much research have decided to go for Inositol due to the fact I have read it has less side effects then SJW.
I started inositol 3 days ago so I honesty can't tell you if it is working yet but I do feel slightly better. Nothing major but the horrible feelings of anxiety I have been feeling are definitely less. From what I have read both inositol and SJW can take 4 to 6 weeks to work but everyone is different and whichever people do use, I am sure some people will find they start feeling the benefits quicker then others.
Sorry I could not help more but I hope that whichever you choose you soon begin to feel better.:flowers:

Humly
03-11-09, 15:46
Thanks erin. Let us know how you get on.

erin31
03-11-09, 19:45
I've been on inositol for 5 days now and I can honestly say I feel a lot better.
I started to take it because I was having severe withdrawal symptoms while coming off venlafaxine so it could also be that the withdrawal symptoms are just getting less but I do feel it is helping. I was taking venlafaxine for anxiety and depression, and I was due to see my GP this week to change to another AD but at the moment I don't feel I need to.
I take the powder form of inositol and take 1 teaspoon in the morning, 1/2 tsp at lunch and 1/2 tsp at dinner.
I also take 100mg of L tyrosine each morning.
I do generally feel better. I am sleeping well which is something I have not done for a long time and I know I am thinking with a clearer head.
The good thing about inositol is that it does not have any side effects apart from diarrhea if you take too much but I'm on quite a high dose and it hasn't effected me yet.
I hope you soon find something that works for you Humly. Do let us know what you try. :)

NoPoet
04-11-09, 09:57
I always recommend inositol, I feel like I've become its champion or something. Inositol has fewer side effects than SJW and trials consistently prove inositol to be effective. Also research has shown a reduction in inositol in people who are depressed and nobody has a deficiency of SJW so the answer is clear to me.

Get inositol powder rather than pills as it is much better value for money and you can take higher doses. Start around 3-4g per day.

Humly
04-11-09, 15:05
Hi. Just bought some inositol but they only had it in tablet form. I am a bit nervous about taking more than the recommended dose. Do you know if it is ok to take with magnesium and calcium as I read somewhere that magnesium is good as a muscle relaxant. will let you know how I get on.

joy
04-11-09, 16:05
where can you buy the powder form of inositol as my holland and Barrett only sell it in tablet form mixed with something else

Joy

erin31
04-11-09, 16:35
Humly I have never heard of any ill effects when taking Magnesium with inositol but I wouldn't really know for definite.
What was the recommended dose you have for inositol? I read it was best to start at 4g a day and work up but I started at 8g and I have not had any side effects.
The only side effects I have read about are diarrhea. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Joy I get my inositol powder from Holland and Barrett. It is their own make. I'm sorry but I really don't know where else you could buy it. You could order it in at your local H & B but I realise that won't help you right now as you will have to waite a week or so for it to come in.

Humly
04-11-09, 19:09
Hi Erin. It says on the pack one to three tablets per day and they are 650mg. The way I am feeling at the mo I could take the whole bottle of 100. Might start with 5 a day and see how I get on.

Humly
04-11-09, 20:18
Just another thing. Do you spread the doses throughout the day or take them all at once. Whats the best time to take them.

erin31
04-11-09, 21:21
Hi.
One tsp of powder is approx 4g.
I take one tsp at breakfast, 1/2 at lunch and then another 1/2 at dinner. All with or after food. This is quite a large dose but I was having really bad panic attacks and needed to start at the high end of the scale.
I think you could try taking 2 tablets in the morning and then again in the afternoon. If you think it is two much i.e. have an upset tum then cut down. If you don't think it is helping at all you could maybe go up a little. It is all trial and error and everyone is different so it is hard to say.

Personally I think I started to feel a little better after a couple of days and by day four or five felt really good. I hate to say that in case I am tempting fate and it all goes wrong and I feel yuk again but I will keep updating even if it does.

Good luck.

NoPoet
07-11-09, 11:50
The therapeutic dose used in trials is 12g of inositol per day for depression, anxiety and panic disorder, and 12-18g per day for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

As far as I know, inositol is the only substance that can control all of these conditions without bad side effects.

Inositol has proven effective in low doses and although it takes an average of 3 weeks to really kick in, trials prove inositol can and does work much more quickly.

I find benefits start to occur within 2-4 days of beginning a "course" of inositol. It usually reverses the effects of anxiety, nervousness and negative thinking to the point where I feel almost completely better within a week.

I increase my own dose if I am feeling depressed or going through a blip. I am often feeling well enough that I forget to take the inositol.

sue681
08-11-09, 13:04
i too have taken this but did'nt realise it took a few days to kick in , still got a bottle so will try again.have you also tryed h-5tp this is also good and works straight away !

sue x

erin31
08-11-09, 15:33
Hi Sue.
Can I ask how much 5-htp you take?
I find inositol has helped greatly but I still get that nervous tum feeling and still have some way to go.
Regards Erin

Cat80
08-11-09, 16:42
imo neither have worked for me, really thought inositol would do as I'd read good things about it but it didn't do a thing

erin31
08-11-09, 17:22
Hi Cat.
Can I just ask what dose you took and for how long?
Have you found any suppliments that do help?

KK77
08-11-09, 18:01
I think you have to persevere with inositol for quite a few weeks to get the full benefits. Personally I felt some benefits after a few days - it has a quietening effect on my mind.

Humly
09-11-09, 15:53
Well I've been taking it for 4 days now (6 tablets a day now) and no ill effects. Must admit that I dont feel as bad as I did. I dont want to cry all the time now and thats an improvement. Whether its just a coincidence and whether it will last is another thing but I am hopeful.

Cat80
09-11-09, 15:53
I took 650mg capsules 3 times a day for over a month and never noticed anything other than feeling really tired when I took them (also a bit queasy). I stopped taking them after that. At the moment I am taking calcium with vitamin D, B6 and vitamin C with flavanoids.