PDA

View Full Version : Can't accept i'm ok...please read!

ChrisMayo
31-10-09, 13:28
Hello all.

Have posted a lot recently, so, sorry if I'm repeating myself, but going through a difficult patch, and any responses would be very helpful.

Basically, i've had anxiety (or been told I have anxiety) for nearly 4 years on and off.

My main anxiety is health anxiety, which is disabling at times, because my belief is so severe. I've been on medication (Seroxat, three times, and now on Citalopram) had CBT for just under a year, and have seen/spoken tons of Drs, nurses, NHS Direct staff, etc. All who have said that I have anxiety.

I've had multiple blood tests (full blood counts, ANA, platelets, organ functions, HIV, etc) , chest x-rays, eye tests, ECGS, etc. All normal.

For background info, I'm 22, male, have a busy, often stressful job, but something that I enjoy. I have a busy social life, and not a great diet (seeing a Dietician about this), i'm also very tall and thin (underweight) all of which don't help my anxiety, as any little ache and pain is often worsened because of my build, lifestyle etc.

My recent return to my health anxiety came when I noticed blood under the skin on my feet, and then noticing lots of petechaie on my arms, and random ones on other parts of my body. I went to the Doctor about this (just the one's on my feet at the time) as I was worried about Leukaemia, he said he didn't think it was anything, but I insisted on blood tests. While I got the blood tests done at the hospital, I then went to A+E because I wanted a second opinion and was freaking out. The doctor there said it didn't look serious, but asked me more in detail questions, gave me a check over, did a chest x-ray and took an ECG. He said it wasn't Leukaemia, and I could expect my blood test results to be normal.

I got the blood test results back, all were normal.

I then kept noticing these Petechaie, cropping up, mainly on my arms, so I then went back to the hospital this week (2 weeks after I first noticed them). I said that I had been in before, but that I was still noticing them.

He checked me over and said it looked like nothing, and checked my results from the week before, and said they were normal. He then did some more blood tests to rule out meningitis or any inflammation, and said I could go home, but if he called me, to come back in, otherwise everything was fine.

He said he wanted to rule out meningitis but the chances were very slim, as I was otherwise healthy. I said I was worried about Leukaemia and he said, no, the results were all normal, I had no bruising, the petechaie wasn't severe or that noticeable and I had no infections, other signs of being ill etc, so I didn't have to worry about that.

I then went home, still a bit nervous, but got no call, so those bloods were fine as well.

Over the weekend, I noticed a small amount of red blood on one of my stools, I've had anal fissures/cuts before (sorry!) so, I wasn't as concerned as I would usually be, but then started to get a weird pain as if I needed to go to the toilet all the time (passing urine), so I kept going to the loo, and still had this feeling as if my bladder was full.

I was away from home at the time, but thought I would see if it passed, and then get it checked out when I got back. It came and went. My stools cleared up, but I was still getting this full bladder feeling. I naturally worried it was an infection, or swelling of the spleen/bladder, which is associated with Leukaemia, Lupus, cancers etc

I went to the hospital last night, and said about it. They took yet more blood tests (I saw on the sheet, one of them was for blood clotting, and they took three other samples, pressumably full blood count and organ function?).

Those all came back normal, they did a urine test, that came back normal, so no infections, and she couldn't feel any swelling, or see any worrying signs, so said it was probably a little cut I had, and the urine could be a symptom of Citalopram (which I've been on just under 2 weeks now), but there were no infections, swellings, blood problems, so just to keep an eye on it and maybe see my GP in a week if i'm still concerned)

Basically, I've seen 5 people about my Leukaemia concerns, had 3 lots of blood tests, and also seen other Dr's/nurses for general worries etc, all who have told me it's not Leukaemia or anything else serious going on.

Should I stop looking for things to worry about?

I'm seeing a Dermatologist on Tuesday regarding the spots (The doctor at the hospital thinks it's because i'm thin and fair skinned that they are showing up easily).

I've also had back / neck pains over the last couple of years, which worsen my health anxiety. I'm seeing a physio who has said I have posture problems, and they can help, and that anxiety / stress will worsen those pains, but everytime I get a symptom, I put them together and assume the worst.

I just want to be able to accept that it is my mind telling me i'm ill, rather than me actually being ill, but at the moment it seems impossible.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, and do they still go through it? I know that once I'm over the Leukaemia fear, i'll go back to worrying about Lupus, or brain tumour, or something, but I really want to just ignore it and get on with things.

I'd love to read any similar experiences, as it is really getting me down.

Sorry for such a long, repetitive post, but good to rant every now and then!

Thanks so much for reading.

Chris xx

gypsywomen
31-10-09, 14:10
well Chris you must accept it you are ,,you have the proof ,and test done,its your anxiety telling you your ill but you have to try to override this .its great to know your ok

lamentinglaura
31-10-09, 14:22
You described me to a tee. I went through the whole leukemia scare a few years back. I had myself totally convinced that I had it and I was dying. As my delusions grew so did my symptoms and after awhile I was so weak I couldn't get off the couch. The mind is a powerful thing and can cause us to suffer tremendously. I can promise you that you don't have leukemia, you've had many tests and they all show that you are fine. I can sympathize with what you're going through though. I wish there was a way to completely cure this awful HA then we'd all have some peace.

RosieXXX
31-10-09, 14:31
Hello Chris,

Anyone who has suffered from health anxiety will be able to relate only too well to all the above; the trouble is once we are tangled up in a particular anxiety it is almost impossible to shake it off - if only we could take a step back from it, and see it for what it is; it is a cruel affliction which plays havoc with our minds. Having read your post I can see for certain, and so will everyone else, you Definitely do not have leukaemia or any other dreaded disease - all your tests have come back pefectly normal; blood tests can pick up all sorts of problems, so you should rest easy and have some sense of relief that you have been checked out so thoroughly, and each and every time the results have been perfectly normal. There are some very good techniques, which can help us to overcome these constant negative thoughts; someone posted some really helpful informaton the other day - all about health anxiety and some coping techniques - you will find it on this forum probably page 2 or 3.

posted by psychopoet 'Taking the fight to Health Anxiety'

I do hope you will be feeling stronger soon, at least it helps to know there are people here who can totally relate to the way you are feeling, and hopefully help you manage your anxiety. All the best xx

ChrisMayo
31-10-09, 15:29
Hey guys.

Thanks for the replies. I know all my test results show there is nothing wrong, but in my mind, i'm sure there is. It's weird though, stuff has been coming and going for three years, and i've convinced myself all through that time that something has been happening.

As people keep saying though, if something was up, I would have known about it by now.

My main worry at the moment is these spots, keep seeing more of them, and don't know why. The hospital didn't seem to be concerned, but I still worry.

Seeing a dermatologist on Tuesday, so I guess that will re-assure me either way.

But just can't seem to take it off my mind :(

Worried if it's not Leukaemia it's some sort of blood condition or Lupus or something.

xx

Cell block H fan
31-10-09, 15:37
I was about your age when my health anxiety kicked in, i'm 38 now. And it was when I first got it that it was the most horrendous! So heart goes out to you x
By the time you get to my age, I hope you have conquered it, but if not, you will be a little wiser because of the experiences, the realising you got over that last particular health worry & are still here, gets more evident every time. I still worry about things, but I have past experiences to remember now, all those times I just couldn't imagine something being anything simple, & the fact they DEFINATELY were something terminal in my eyes & no one was listening to me! When I got over a particular worry (which could go on for weeks) it would almost feel like I had woken up from a bad dream or been on a totally different planet to everyone else. Then I would realise how powerful the mind can actually be! I guess not everyone has the same symptoms with it though. Thinking about it, from what ive read on here, the symptoms of HA vary greatly.
Not enough about the power of the mind is mentioned with health anxiety though. Maybe because people are sooo convinced they are seriously ill. Its not until after you have come out of the black hole, you realise what you did to yourself! But I think there should be more stuff available to read up on about it.
Brain tumours, leukemia (cant spell it) & heart attacks are the only HA ones I havent yet come across. Not looking forward to them. I hope you come out of your black hole soon. I remember how awful it is in the early days & hope you stay strong x

looking4answers
01-11-09, 01:31
Hi,
I got health anxiety in my 20's and have worried about everything you have and much more.I admit I haven't gone to as many doctors because frankly the doctors scare me more than the disease.Im not 55 and well I haven't keeled over yet.. I might any minute but i haven't yet.. so thats over 30 years of worry off and on for nothing , nada, zilch.. so relax enjoy your life, get out and do somethings so you don't sit and waste your life..

Hey we are all going to die some sooner than later.. but the point im trying to make is enjoy your life that way when something happens to you say in about 80 years then you can look back and say .. I enjoyed my life..I didn't sit and worry about dying because I always knew I was going to die one day but it wasn't that day.. good luck to you ..enjoy your life.. and take care

Quiet-Lift
01-11-09, 01:54
Hi Chris

You've got your whole life ahead of you. Try to enjoy yourself as much as you can and push these worries to the back of your mind as much and as often as possible.

When I get depressed I feel as though something awful is going to happen or I'm going to die without having made the attempt to do some of the things I've always wanted to do, but haven't, because fearfulness and trepidation have prevented me from taking the risk.

Don't let these health anxieties hold you back. Having a job and social life you enjoy must be a real bonus and many of us would envy you for them.

All the best

Alisonj
01-11-09, 05:55
I can understand your worry. You see something visually wrong and you want an answer and I would feel the same way. The fact all your tests have been normal is awesome, I would for sure say that means that although it is causing you such great stress that chances are really good that it is nothing to be worried about.
But in the life of someone with health anxiety things just are not that easy. I am having problems myself with my platelet count being high and no matter how many doctors tell me its okay and the likely reason for it I am still completely worried. It is the way our minds work. Always sure that something has been missed. You dont google symptoms etc alot do you?? That would be the first thing to stop right away. Anyone can post any info on the net and you are far better off getting advice from a doctor only. Maybe if you visit them again be very firm in expressing your fears. Tell them you really need an explanation and not just them saying it isnt anything to worry about. Maybe your meds might even need adjusting to get things under control a bit. I do hope you are able to put it out of your mind since your tests are all so good. Good Luck and keep us updated

ChrisMayo
01-11-09, 15:19
Hi,

Thanks for the post guys, I started to feel a bit better, now i'm at my all time worst.

I have had this on and off lower abdominal pain for a few days, which they can't find any real reason for, so said it could be the anxiety / meds.

But last night I noticed i've got some new tiny purple veins on my chest (spider veins), also paired with the Petechaie I have, I've read this can signal liver damage, particularly Cirrhosis. I've also read that it usually caused by Hepatitis or Alcohol use, but can occur for no reason, or for auto-immune diseases.

I panicked and panicked and tried to put it out of my mind, after a few hours, ended up going to A&E (for a third time) at 5am, I didn't eat or sleep, and saw a doctor at 9am this morning.

I said I came in with the petechaie rash last week, had bloods checked which were normal, but was getting some back pain, abdominal pain, and that I noticed these new purple veins on my chest, and basically that I was really worried about liver damage.

She looked at the spots, and at the veins, and didn't think they were of any concern, she double checked my blood results and particularly the liver which I asked about. She said they were all normal.

However I know you can have normal liver results with Cirrhosis.

I'm totally totally worried now that something has been undetected.

She said "I don't think you are going to die tonight, I don't think you are going to die for...years" I'm just so worried. She said Cirrhosis would be unusual for my age, especially as i've not been at risk for Hepatitis and alcohol abuse.

I really don't know what to do, i'm not eating, I feel really scared, and i'm sure something is up.

I want to go back to hospital and tell them how bad my anxiety is. I don't want to have to speak to yet more people, but I also can't wait in on my own until Tuesday (seeing a Dermatologist, who I'd speak to about the spots/rash and veins).

I'm only 22, so I'm freaking out. I'm sat here feeling like i'm dying, and that i'm running out of time...

Need to talk please :(
xx

Gazman
01-11-09, 15:32
Chris, most of us has been where you are, take me for example... 9 blood tests, 3 ecgs, 3 trips to A&E, endoscopy, ct scan of chest abdomen and pelvic area, couldn't eat, sleep was all messed up, seen 6 different docs, had numerous physical examinations, yet i still think there is an undiagnosed disease at work in my body.

Ask most people here how many times they have been to hospital or doctors or had so many tests and they all come back clear, and i bet you that nearly everyone has.

We all have done this and we all have health anxiety, so logically speaking it's gotta be anxiety hasn't it?

You need to STOP READING UP ON MEDICAL STUFF!!
Ive been there and done it and so so many of us have and it doesn't help in the slightest because guess what? You don't have that disease and it's only your anxious mind telling you thast you do, you will need to learn to control that part of your brain, and i would suggest you go back to your doctor and have a heart to heart about your fears and he / she will advise you accordingly (most likely cbt or some kind of therapy)

On another note, i have noticed many vains and spider vains on my body than before because i notice my body so much more now and the fact i've lost 2 stone cuz of anxiety.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but mate u need to relax and try to think logical, i mean your 22 ffs, i'm 23, the chances of us having diseases at our ages are so slim in most cases :yesyes:

ChrisMayo
01-11-09, 16:56
Hey guys.

Thanks for the replies. I know it must be frustrating to read of someone constantly worrying / beating themselves up, but I guess we all do it.

I can be rational and helpful with other people, and see it from an outsiders perspective, but when it's happening to you, it just feels so real and serious.

A few people have said they have tiny purple veins on the chest, but since I noticed it, it's totally freaking me out. And it seems to be more common in older people, and women, which lead me to think the only reason is because of Cirrhosis of the liver.

At the hospital they said at my age, with no family history, no alcohol abuse and low risk of Hepatitis (have been tested once before about a year ago which was negative), it would be very unlikely to be that.

I know the odds are in my favour, but it just feels so real and upsetting, that all the pieces start to fit together with symptoms and feelings etc.

Just want to get over this.

x

gypsywomen
01-11-09, 17:09
as you know i was a nurse and it does show up in blood tests don't know what you been reading the other way of checking is injecting a dye ,,have you any of these symptoms,,,,You may have itching and yellowish coloring of the eyes. You may also have trouble breathing. Your urine may be dark yellow or brown colored. In males, you may notice your breast to be enlarged or your testicles shrink,, these are common signs ,i think your mind is telling you you have it ,,as i said try to relax ,,i know its hard are you going to work ,,you should ,i am trying to help xxx

ChrisMayo
01-11-09, 17:19
Hey gypsywomen.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I read that you can have liver problems without any abnormal blood results. I've had three lots of blood tests in the last week (maybe 4), two of which were checked for liver function I think, and all the others had full blood count, I also had a protein check, blood clotting check, and various other things, basically everything.

I've not had any of those symptoms. The only symptom really is the spider veins on my chest (one which i've had for a few years, but another patch which I only noticed in the last few days) and the Petechaie rash, which I have heard can be related to liver problems (though would show in blood results I think?). Have had the petechaie looked at by three/four different people, and the veins looked at by the hospital last night, who said they weren't worried about them.

Not had any of the other symptoms you mentioned.

I was mainly worried because it is rarely found until it's too late, so worried, i've had it undiscovered for some time..

I appreciate your help, thank you.

xx

gypsywomen
01-11-09, 17:40
the symptoms i gave you start about onset of liver problem ,one of the first is yellow urine plus ,eyes yellowish ,if you have had all those blood tests and they came back normal believe me there is nothing wrong with your liver as for spots and veins probably a reaction to meds but not liver so please relax if for one min Doctor thought you had he would send you to hospital for dye test so stop worrying ,,if you get the symptoms i mentioned then go beck to doctor but i dont think for one min you will ,,,so are you going to be ok hope so maggyxxx:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighu g1:

ChrisMayo
01-11-09, 18:07
Well the rash came before taking the meds, so don't know what is causing that, but doctors said they were of little concern (seeing a Dermatologist Tuesday), I have noticed the veins since starting medication, but it could just be i'm more away of my body as i'm panicking, or a normal thing, I don't know.

Not had any other symptoms, and they mentioned I had no urine problems and yellowing, or swelling, etc when they saw me last night and the other day.

I didn't see my GP though, it was direct to the hospital.

Seeing a Dermatologist on Tuesday, who is also a GP, so will voice my concerns then.

Feeling a little better, just constant worry somewhere!
xx

gypsywomen
01-11-09, 18:12
good keep thinking positive glad you are feeling bit better ,,now relax watch some telly ,, you will be fine ,,,xx if you ever get worried pm me i wll try to help maggy

ChrisMayo
02-11-09, 11:28
Thanks Maggy.

Appreciate that.

Managed to watch some TV, eat a bit, and put my mind off things for a while, managed to think a bit more rationally as well.

Seeing a dermatologist tomorrow, so until then, just going to chill out, or attempt to!

Thanks again.

If anyone else has any replies, or wants to talk, feel free to post, I read up on here everyday, so it's always nice.

xx