PDA

View Full Version : Any experience of counselling?

lnew
31-10-09, 20:53
Hi every1.

Hope all having a good night.

I have my first session of counselling on Monday to try and help me deal with general/health anxiety and panic attacks but don't really know what to expect and worrying it might not help me.

joeyjo
31-10-09, 22:27
Hi,

Just wanted to encourage you that counselling can help. I tried counselling a couple of times and was out of but then started seeing my current counseller who is very good. It has taken me a while to actually start talking (if that makes sense) as to start with I just felt like i was melting into the chair, but even though its hard it is helping me to address some of the issues in my life.

I guess what I mean is that even if its hard keep going because it does help and if it doesn't work with one counseller don't abandon counselling. I hope that's helpful?

Joey

summersmum
01-11-09, 09:58
hi there..

i see a councillor every week. he is lovely.. yes he lol at first i wouldnt speak to him.. i mean how could a man understand post natal depression but he is great.. he suffered from high anxiety years ago so he understands.. it takes time gettin used to talking to people about how u feel face to face but after you do it a few times it really helps..

of corse you need to find a method that will help you.. my first councillor didnt work for me she just wound me up makin me feel like was all my fault but thats another story lol sorry if babbling but im new to this..
as i was saying give the councillor a chance.. it wont work over night but if u really give it a chance u will definatly benefit..
take every day as it come..

good luck!

summersmum xx

lnew
01-11-09, 19:15
Thanks everyone for the replies. Will see what happens tomorrow I guess.

Take care.

Louise2009
01-11-09, 19:37
Hiya,

I have found councelling really helpful, and always feel better after the sessions. What I would say, to get the full benefits, is really try to take on board what your councellor advises you to do and do all the reading she/he may recommend, because it's a two way thing and if after the session one walks away and does not think about it until the next session, its not so effective.

All the best!