PDA

View Full Version : Am i having panic attacks?

Bimp
31-10-09, 22:18
Hi, i have never suffered from panic attacks before but about a month ago i suddenly felt like i couldn't breath. This made me panic and made it worse. I was so close to phoning an ambulance, my hands went numb and i couldn't stop shaking.
This happened again the next night, and everyday since, sometimes more than once and now it's so bad that i feel like i'm constantly waiting for the next one.
It's ruining my life. I went to the doctor last week and he sent me for blood tests and xrays to make sure it wasn't something serious but what about now? Whenever i think about it it brings another bout of breathlessness on, which then makes me panic.
I don't know why this has started happening to me. I was ok before. Sometimes i was a bit down but thats all.
Today alone i have nearly called the hospital 6 times because i think i can't breath. I am inhaling fine but i feel like no oxygen is going in.
I'm only 21 and the thought of this continuing terrifies me. Please, i don't know what to expect but any help or advice would be welcome. I can't go on like this anymore.

diane07
31-10-09, 22:21
Hi Bimp

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Bimp
01-11-09, 10:15
I read your articles, very interesting. My concern is that these are not occational panic attacks, i think about it all day wherever i am, whatever i'm doing. The only relief i get is when i sleep and even then i wake up sometimes in a panic. Does anybody else feel this way? I feel like it has taken over my life completely.

Maj
01-11-09, 10:24
Hi Bimp,

Yes, these definitely sound like panic attacks and yes they can completely seem to take over your life. They cause such nasty symptoms that you are terrified of taking another one which in turn causes you to be anxious and then you panic. It's a vicious circle. You will always get enough breath, it's just that your chest muscles are tensing up. Try slow tummy breaths. Breathe in slowly to a count of 7, expanding your tummy, then exhale for a count of 11 - slowly. This will relax you and inturn take your mind off panic for a while. Also, if you feel you are struggling with this your doctor can give you something to help for a while. Please try not to worry. Lots of people on this site are going through the same symptoms as you and will support you through it. You can get better again with a bit of acceptance that you are going through a bit of stress at the moment and this will pass. :hugs:
Myra

Bimp
01-11-09, 10:31
Thank you myra. I have beem to the doctor regarding the breathlessness but at the time i didn't think i was having panic attacks. I thought i was dying! I am going to try and get another appointment on monday because over the last week it is getting worse and worse. It is the breathlessness that is making me panic but i know i am over thiunking about my breathing because i have never stopped breathing even though this has been going on for over a month. The slightest twinge in my body is making me panic. I have always been a nervous person but this is out of hand. Thinking about it now i can feel another attack coming. :( i hope i can get over this soon.

Maj
01-11-09, 10:42
Panic attacks do make us feel as though we're dying - they are horrible!! You can get over this though. Hope you get on okay at the doctor. They can give you something to take even for a small period until you relax a wee bit again and accept that this is anxiety. You don't have to struggle on your own with this.
Myra x

Bimp
01-11-09, 10:46
Thank you again xx

Jac 2009
01-11-09, 11:06
What you are experiencing is definitely a panic attack. The more you panic - the worse it gets. It helps me to say these two things out loud:
STOP. These thoughts are not good for me. They are not healthy or helpful thoughts, and I have decided to move in a better direction and learn to think differently.

So I feel a little anxiety now. SO WHAT? It's not like it;s the first tiime. I am going to breath regularly and keep on going. This will help me continue to get better.

My main problem with anxiety is my breathing as is yours. You are hyperventilating - taking in too much air. Your bodies natural defences force you to take in less air and that is why you are finding it hard to breath. As soon as you calm down, you breathe less and you feel better. I know how difficult it is to remember this when you are in the middle of one but try by saying the two sentences over and over out loud. It will help if you persist.

Good luck to you.

Jac x

Jac 2009
01-11-09, 11:08
Also, when you are panicking, realise how much air you are taking in. This should make you realise that it is the over breathing which is causing the problem - nothing else. x

Bimp
01-11-09, 11:24
Thanks, i will try that next time. Just got over an attack just now, 5 minutes of peace and i feel my anxiety building again. Is it normal to have 5 or more attacks a day? I am in the house on my own which is how i like it, there is no obvious trigger (except when i feel breathless). I have found distraction the best just now but there is only so much i can do. I've made fudge and 2 batches of fairy cakes, my house is spotless, wardrobe organised and my cd's are all in alphabetical order!

Maj
01-11-09, 12:50
Hi bimp,

You are doing the right things - keeping yourself busy and occupied can only benefit you. There's nothing worse than just lying staring up at the ceiling. You deserve to feel better and I'm sure you will do given time.
Myra x:)

Bimp
01-11-09, 20:19
please help i am having an attack right now. My chest hurts so much. It feels like there's a knife in it. I'm so worried. :(:(:(:(

MiseryIsAButterfly
20-11-09, 16:35
Bimp, I know exactly what you mean. I am always on edge and just at the brink of a panic attack coming on. It is very frightening. I have a terrible fear of dying and I always think there is something terminally wrong with me and that I will die any minute. I have been to the doctors and they reassured me that is is most likely just panic. Aslong as your doctor knows about all this and assures you that it is just panic then try to remind yourself of that. Tell yourself that it isn't real and it will soon be over. I hope this helps you in some way, and just remember YOU CAN overcome this. You WILL be ok.

Southern_Belle
21-11-09, 17:31
Hi Bimp,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you are feeling and will give their support. I'm so glad you found us.

Take care,

Laura

Veronica H
22-11-09, 11:33
:bighug1:Welcome Bimp.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) who really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Veronica