PDA

View Full Version : They're Back

bananarbabe
26-01-04, 14:13
Hi Everyone,

I thought I was making progress but now my symptoms are back again. To give you some background info, I've been worried about law school and whether or not I flunked out. My last grade is suppose to post today and I'm absolutely terrified cause I honestly don't know how I did. I've been reaching out for help in calming myself down and it's helped temporarily but then I get really depressed and start crying uncontrollably. I keep thinking about what I'm gonna tell my family if I do flunk out as they think I won't.

Last night, I was trying to go to sleep but I couldn't. I had some incredibly strong heart palipitations and feelings like my heart was skipping a beat. Although I've had these before I couldn't handle it and wasn't able to go to sleep. I think part of it had to do with the fact I've been feeling a little depressed lately. I was so terrified I went to bed with the tv on only to have some really disturbed sleep. I got up this morning about and hour ago and thought about calling in sick as I feel absolutely horrible but I'm afraid to be alone when I find out my grade as if I flunked out I might try to do something stupid.

Chris

Meg
26-01-04, 17:06
Hi Chris,
Under your circumstances it's really not suprising to be feeling as you are.

Once the result is out and you've decided what the next steps are to be and things settle down then you will calm down and start to feel better again.

Symptoms will continue to appear in times of stress for a while yet. This does not mean you are getting worse again. It's just a blip !

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
26-01-04, 17:07
Chris,

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time right now. I know waiting for your final grade to post today can be causing you some stress. However if you "can" please try to relax and calm down. It is no point in stressing over something that has not happened yet, and may not even happen. Don`t you think for one millisecond of doing something stupid!!!! we are here to help you cope as well as we can. You have support so don`t you think of anything crazy. Everything happens for a reason, rather at the time we believe it or not. You do not have to feel stressed or like a failure if by chance you did "FLUNK OUT", because that just let`s you know that there is something you are not 100% prepared for, so maybe you need to prepare yourself more is all. It is not being a failure!!!!! Please slow down, take some deep breaths and prepare yourself for whatever that posted grade is. Please come back and post to let us know how you did. I`m sure it will work out just fine.

Take care dear,

Diana xxxx

Rennie1989
26-01-04, 18:11
Chris

I an always scared at the school week. I always make sure that I have keys to get into my house, equipment, kit, homework, glasses and my mobile. I couldnt sleep last night asweel coz i had this shocked that went though my body coz i thought about somat at school, i couldnt sleep for 1/2 an hour just to calm myself down.

If ya want anymore advise just say so, i have a few tips.

Jade xx

sadie
26-01-04, 20:01
Hi chris,

I know you are feeling really low at the moment but it will pass and things are never as bad as they seem!! Try and remain as calm as you can...do some relaxation and breathing techniques to quiet the mind and try your best to think postively...I know its hard but It will help you from feeling even lower.

If it helps, I too had a terrible sleep last night due to missed/irregular heart beats and spent the most of the night ensuring that all was well with my heart....I went in to work today too and just thought I need to carry on with life as normal as I can, to prevent things from getting bad again.

You have to try and stay positive about your exam results and not try not to think negatively about them. If it turns out that you dont get the grade you wanted (but Im sure you will) you can speak to your course tutor and see if you can resit them. There will be another way to solve the problem if needed and it wont be as bad as you think..just believe that!!:)

You are coping so well and dealing with a lot of background stress, its only natural to feel a bit apprehensive about your results etc...but just try and stay calm and focused and dont do anything rash..keep posting here and we will be here to listen!!

Hope to hear from you soon.[8D]

sadie

Buby
26-01-04, 20:32
i thought i was making progress too since about 10 minutes ago when i had thought in my head saying ' am i going to be sick? i dont feel normal? ive got a funny taste in my mouth is something wrong?' i cant help thinking these thought now and im not sure if i should ask my dad to take me for a drive ( it calms me down ) i javent eaten anything bad and i dont feel too different to normal but i cant help thinking these questions. then i say to my self ' if you are sick, its not the end of the world. youve been sick before. youre alright after.' but then i go back to my what if questions.

rachel xx

diana
26-01-04, 22:31
Rach,

Try to calm down. You know what those thoughts and feelings are. They will not last. I hope you are feeling better soon. How are things goin with your love? Post to let us know how you made out.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

benoo5
26-01-04, 22:56
rachel,

try changing your <what ifs>...to <so what>.

what if ime sick....so what,it happens to millions of people,every day!

what if i panic....so what,youve panicked before!

accept it for wot it is..a nasty thought..distract yourself,move around,help mum around the house,read the breathing exercises on here,find a quiet spot,and put them into action..never sit,and feel what if this,what if that happens..stop it happening,before it gets a grip of you..tidy up your bedroom..why not ask dad,if you can paint it...its a great relaxant.

above all,little one,keep up your humour..you bring a smile to our faces..best wishes..bryan.

bananarbabe
27-01-04, 02:59
Hi Everyone,

Well it's official I Passed my first semester of law school. I made it work alright and was fine with the exception that my chest felt like it was tightening. I dealt with it by talking with people about work stuff and that helped. I checked my grade immediately when I went home and although my grade wasn't that high I still passed! I called my family right afterwards and told them that I passed and talked to them about how I was feeling before finding out. I feel much better now.

I figure that this time will be the best time for me to deal with anxiety and possible depression while there isn't much stress in my life. But I'm gonna try real hard to keep a positive attitude.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Chris

diana
27-01-04, 04:55
Hi Chris,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! all that stress for nothing ey? You did well in spite of the worrying, you coped terrifically (is that even a word)???? LOL.... :) well you get what I mean. You did grand Chris, keep up the great work. Keep up your positive attitude. I am glad you are feeling better. Keep posting to let us know how you are progressing.

Take care,

Diana xxx

kate
27-01-04, 08:31
Congratulations, Chris!

Well, done, mate. Bet you are feeling a whole lot better now!

Kate x

sadie
27-01-04, 10:33
Hi Chris,

Well done for passing your exams!!! Now you know you can do it..we new all along!

Take care

sadie

Meg
27-01-04, 15:24
Whew..many congratulations Chris. Just shows anticipatory anxiety is so powerful but most of it is in vain .

A big step forward for you now

Meg

bananarbabe
12-02-04, 03:47
hi Everyone,

If anyone is out there to chat please let me know I'm on AIM or MSN. I am worried because I just got an email from an old professor saying that I hadn't returned an exam. (They keep them for storage) and I'm really worried because I turned it in. This guy hates me too so I don't know what happens if the exam isn't found. I know it sounds like a trivial matter but I'm really really worried and I the symptoms are starting again.

Chris

bananarbabe
12-02-04, 05:35
For some reason I'm drawn right now to typing up whats going on with me right now. I am having very bad symptoms of a panic attack. I'm not just talking about ones that I've had in the past but I'm on the level of the first one I ever had where I ended up in the hospital. I just had some pretty bad heart palipations including one where my heart "skpped" a few beats. My breathing is feeling difficult to control. I'm working on taking deep breaths from my diaphragm but I still feel awful. I am incredibly worried about this missing exam and what is gonna happen if its not found. I feel dizzy but too upset and scared to go to sleep. This is not good as it is because i only got like four hours of sleep (this was because I was studying not brought on by anxiety). I feel so awful. And terrified

Chris

diana
12-02-04, 13:45
Chris,

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time. I know the stress and anxiety that comes from worrying about one thing or another. In your case the missing exam. I hope by now it has been found, and everything is well. If it has`nt been found, is there any chance that you have kept a copy of it? Or would that even be unacceptable to this professor? Just try to remember dear that there is a solution to every problem. I do hope you were able to get some sleep, as it seems that the lack of sleep could very well be increasing your anxiety, hence bringing on the PA`s. Try not to worry too much, you know the symptoms you described are related to anxiety. I know this is easier said than done whilst in the midst of an attack, but you must try to take control of it and try to focus on a solution to the problem at hand. I hope today has been better for you dear, try to slow down, take some deep breaths, and keep telling yourself "This Too Shall Pass". Do post to let us know how things are going and if the exam has been located. Best of luck to ya.

Take care dear,

Diana xxxx

sadie
13-02-04, 21:13
Hi Chris,

Hope your feeling a bit better today. Try and not let the symptoms scare you because they WIL NOT HARM YOU!!!! Please say this to yourself over and over agin until you actually feel yourself beleiving it.

I Know how scary these 'irregular ' heart beats can be but believe me they are not dangerous. They are inconvienant and a bit annoying but thats all....nothing more. Meg told me to say to myself every time I got one of these beats 'Well thats once less i will be having;' and some how mine disappeared. I think its because I lost my fear of them...please give it a go and see how better you will feel.

As for your 'missing' coursework....Im sure it is just an administration error, but if its not Im sure something can be done. Does your University not hand back your marked coursework to you???

Please try and not worry to much as that just makes things seem a lot worse. Do as Diana says...try and get some sleep as your mind and body needs to rest, especially when under stress. Make sure you are eating well and taking a Vitamin B complex.

Keep in touch

sadie

bananarbabe
08-03-04, 00:54
Hi Everyone,

I had my first panic attack in more than a month today. It happened while I was at church. I had been having really bad chest pains earlier and during church they got really bad. It felt like someone had place a knife through the left side of my chest. Anyways, I wanted to do some stretching really as that usually helps me with chest pain symptoms but since I was in church I couldn't. Then I felt like blacking out and wanting to pass out. I grabbed hold of the pew and also tried to do some deep breathing as I felt like I couldn't breathe. After about 30 seconds I felt fine again and the chest pains went away.

I'm really betting that I had a panic attack but the chest pain was so painful that I worry something might be wrong with me. I'm trying to talk myself out of going to my doctor as I have been checked out okay in the past.

Chris

diana
08-03-04, 17:40
Chris,

So Sorry you`ve had yet another PA.

Good you are owning what it really is, a PA!!!!!!!!!!!!! that gives the symptoms less power.

Good for you coping so well in church with it, controlling it and ultimately stopping it in it`s tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Well done.

Everything you mention you were feeling is definitely panic and as you say you have been checked out just fine before with the heart, I am sure there is nothing to worry about.

Keep up the good work dear!!!!!!!!! :)

post to let us know how you get on tomorrow. I hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Keep ya chin up :-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Meg
08-03-04, 17:44
Chris,

Umm - whilst sitting in church, me thinks that you weren't fully concentrating on what was being said from the pulpit but more on your chest pains and your thoughts were focussed on what if .. it might ...how terrible if ..

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

bananarbabe
09-03-04, 05:16
Hi everyone,

I'm actually feeling alright today. After my pa yesterday afternoon I just took it easy the rest of the night and didn't do any studying. I ended up falling asleep alright and I haven't had any symptoms since. Looking back, this pa has probably been one of the biggest ones I've had but the quickest one that I've gotten over.

Chris

diana
09-03-04, 06:00
Chris,

I am so glad that you are feeling better today.

Good for you getting over that big PA quickly, a good sign that you are getting stronger and they are getting weaker.

Keep up the great work :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted on how things are going for you.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

bananarbabe
08-05-04, 01:23
Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here.

I had been doing quite well the last couple of months with dealing with my anxiety. I was seeing a psychologist who was helping me deal with coping techniques to deal with my anxiety as well as helping me adjust to grad school life.

Well, today has been a difficult day for me. I haven't felt this bad since new years. My physical anxiety symptoms are irritating me again. I've been having trouble breathing, feel lightheaded, chest pains, headaches. I know that these are anxiety symptoms but self-talk and coping statements aren't being real effective.

I need to get things in control soon. Finals are next week for me and I need to be able to concentrate. I know I am under a lot of stress school wise. Additionally, I am having some relationship problems and haven't been able to address these with my significant other and I think this has been the cause of this anxiety. I'm really scared and using every coping technique in the book right now.

Chris

Meg
08-05-04, 11:28
They will take a bit of time to be effective as you've not been using them recently.
Keep it up and you know that it will pass yet again.

Just ignore all the symptoms

Good luck for all the exams

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

sadie
08-05-04, 17:27
Hi Chris,

You coped well with your recent PA so keep up the good work. The probably have reared their ugly head as youv'e been under a bit more stress latley with your exams coming up etc.

Remember you have coped with the same symptoms in the past, so you can definetly cope with them again. Stay positive at all times, dont be frightened of the symptoms as they are just tight muscle spasms, just learn to ignore the symptoms and they will disappear.

Hope you do well in your exams. Keep in touch.

sadie

nomorepanic
08-05-04, 18:00
Hi Chris

I like you had a blip a couple of weeks ago and had an anxiety attack out of nowhere. I didn't cope well and forgot all the advice on here about what to do. Amazing how we forget isn't it.

I expect you are worried about the xmas coming up so maybe a little stressed. Get some early nights and make sure you are eating well and relaxing as much as you can.

Good luck for the exams.

Nicola

nomorepanic
08-05-04, 18:01
quote:Originally posted by nomorepanic

Hi Chris

I like you had a blip a couple of weeks ago and had an anxiety attack out of nowhere. I didn't cope well and forgot all the advice on here about what to do. Amazing how we forget isn't it.

I expect you are worried about the exams coming up so maybe a little stressed. Get some early nights and make sure you are eating well and relaxing as much as you can.

Good luck for the exams.

Nicola

Nicola

diana
10-05-04, 15:47
Hiya Chris,

Glad to hear you have had a couple of good months. I hope they will continue on for you, onward and upward as we say. :)

Don`t get to discouraged dear with this blip you are going through.

I expect that even "NORMAL" folks would be feeling what you are feeling faced with the same situation.

I do wish you tons of luck on your upcoming exams. I know you will do just fine.

Try if you can to put things into perspective and work on the immediate important things first, then move onto the next thing and so on.

Try not to overload yourself with to much at one time. This can cause unneccessary anxiety.

Do keep us updated on things dear.

I hope you work things out soon with your "SIGNIFICANT OTHER".

Take care dear,

Diana xxxxx

bananarbabe
19-05-04, 03:36
Hi,

I'm am on the verge of going through a second panic attack today. I had one that lasted about ten seconds on the train home (I'm preparing for a final exam on Friday) and I had this incredible head pain on the right side of my head followed by the feeling of wanting to faint. I felt better and am trying to take it easy the rest of the night but as I get ready to go to bed the trouble breathing comes in. I'm trying to keep cool and avoid having a full blown panic attack and have to turn to the ativan but it's hard. So I'm writing this with the hope of getting some of my anxiety of my chest and hoping to calm down. The head pains are happening again and they're really strong. I'm scared and I don't want to go to the hospital. I've been doing so well with finals the last thing I want to happen is to let another pa happen. I just had another sharp one on the other side of my head followed by trouble breathing! Aargh! I know I need to calm down but its so hard right now and I live alone so I don't have very many distractions.

Chris

diana
19-05-04, 18:42
Chris,

Sorry to hear you are battling the PA`s right now when it seems everything else is going so well at the moment.

Try to remember it is just panic and nothing serious. I know in the midst of one it is hard to assure yourself trust me I do.

You have already done the stronger thing and grabbed the bull by the horns and got on here to post instead of running for shelter at the hospital like you felt like doing.

So well done on coping so well. :)

I hope you are feeling a bit better now dear, and I wish you the best of luck on your finals.

We are all rooting for ya okay. So you are not alone sweetie.

Take care.

Love Diana xoxoxo

Meg
19-05-04, 19:29
Chris,

If calming down doesn't seem possible with how you are then go for a brisk walk/run or a swim if possible which will be good as a distraction to .

You are adrenalinized and need to disperse / use it asap.

God luck for the rest of the exams

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

bananarbabe
18-07-04, 21:17
Hi,

First of I think the updated message board looks great. I haven't posted in a while but I'm not feeling as well as I should be lately.

A lot of the anxiety symptoms I am having recently are related a lot to the stresses in my life. I think the most pressing one is the problems I"m having with my ex. I'm just angry at him for the way he's treating me but not "anxious" about anything. And I wonder if this is normal. I don't know what to do. I've stopped seeing my therapist since I have been dealing with the anxiety so well but then again, its back. Aargh. It's so frustrating.

Jules31
19-07-04, 13:34
Hi Chris

I think what you are going through is normal. We all have blips and that is what you are having.

Your anger is enough to make you anxious I'm sure. I get some of my worst feelings when I don't think I am anxious about anything.

Just keep up all the techniques your therapist taught you especially the positive thinking and you will get through this.

If it helps to talk, we are here for you.

By the way how did your finals go? My heart goes out to you. I'm a lawyer so know how tough things can get.

Take care
Jules

bananarbabe
26-07-04, 19:08
Hi Jules,

The finals went well I think. I'm going to be taking time off from school to determine whether or not I want to continue with law because I'm not really happy with it. But it's nice having that burden removed from me right now.

I'm just getting anxious about withdrawing from school. Since my grades aren't that high am I going to get yelled at or anything. But I need to get it done this week before I go home on vacation. But thanks for asking.

Christine