PDA

View Full Version : stopped propranalol

pinkcherryhearts
01-11-09, 16:09
I decided to stop propranalol yesterday because they were making me feel so tired but im worried what will happen if i suddenley stop taking them. my doctor is useless and doesnt seemed bothered about what drugs im taking and what ones ive stopped so i thought it was pointless waiting until monday to ask her cos they were making me feel terrible. Has anyone had any experience with coming off propranolol ? Ive noticed ive got the shakes now.

mandyclare
01-11-09, 16:12
Hi.. firstly please please dont stop them overnight .

I have only been taking them for a week this time around but took them for 2 years about 6 years ago. I too decided to stop taking them because my anxiety had gone but I done it extremely gradually cutting down a little more every week. If you have been taking these tablets for a while is is NOT a good idea to stop taking them just like that unless it's on medical advice.

If you are really unhappy with your Dr you must see another one in the practice or change to another practice. It's important you feel listened to.

I hope you can sort this out.. another medication may be better for you

Take care
Mand x

mandyclare
01-11-09, 16:13
It also may be that you just need a lower dose.. that might be enough to stop the tiredness!! : )

TSJ2004
01-11-09, 17:25
YOU MUST NEVER ABRUPTLY STOP TAKING PROPRANOLOL!!!

I was advised to reduce half a tablet at a time so as not to cause the horrific effects (like I got when I did so) I ended up in A&E because my heart just would not stop racing and I got the shakes bad.

Im on propranolol again now and only prob I have ever had is cold hands and feet and tiredness when my doseage was too high, and like someone has already said you may just need your dosage lowered - its all trial and error with these type of drugs :)

bomberbeamish
02-11-09, 15:27
hi there,
i used to to propranolo, but only when needed, when anixety was bad i would take 80mg tablet, it really worked, infact i dont know why im not on them now as i can remember the calming affect they had, but ive been on a hole load of cocktail of pills.
just DONT stop them over night like the others said, i am lucky i have finally got a doc that does help, maybe you should see another.

good luck.

lucy

live to love life