PDA

View Full Version : back at work tomorrow - help!

penny0305
01-11-09, 16:17
Im back at work tomorrow after 3 weeks off with panic attacks/depression. Its the second time ive been signed off in 2 months - I only managed one week back at work last time and spent the whole week in a constant state of panic. As soon as I get in and sit at my desk everyone crowds round to ask how i am and I just want to scream and run out again. The feelings are so physical - my heart races and I feel like I am going to faint or have some kind of fit. Im on antidepressants but my doc gave me diazepam for emergencies - havent taken any whilst Ive been off work but I know Ill end up taking one in the morning just to get me there. Im so fed up of feeling like this - my job is very stressful and 'front -line' and sometimes i think I should just pack it in but I need the money. Does everyone have such physical symptoms as this - it doesn't matter how many times it happens I still feel terrified by it and of making a fool of myself. Ive always suffered with anxiety but these full blown panic attacks are a relatively new thing - Ive always been able to hide it before.
Does it get any easier??!

carter
01-11-09, 17:26
i know how you feel....

i found the best way to deal with the Anxiety of Panic attacks is to at first admit you have a problem...as you can see there are millions of us who suffer this condition...

where work is concerned speak to your line manager make sure they are fully aware you have problem....its nothing to be ashamed of. make them aware that if you need need to leave your desk or go home the reasons for this...most work places will be fully supportaive..you will be surprised how good they are..

this then eliminates the fear of the fear...so if you are about to have a panic attack .you should be at ease and not afraid....as the hardest thing is trying to be normal when your losing the plot inside...i found it easier that when someone went to me "Are you ok" i would say " no not really im not feeling the best im having one of my funny turns ill be ok in a minute...

It really helped me...:yesyes:

chin up

nicolauz
01-11-09, 18:38
when you have an attack at work go to the bathroom, take a diazepan pill and breathe in a plastic/paper bag, this really helps. Also its a good idea telling your co-worker friends about your problem (i did this with my closest friends in college and they helped me a lot)

sorry for my bad english
good luck

junie7
01-11-09, 18:45
Hi Penny,
I know exactly how you feel.
I've only been having panic/anxiety attacks for 7 weeks.
I have also been thinking about my job and whether or not I can cope anymore but we just have to. We'll have our good days and bad day's but we can't give up otherwise that's letting this thing beat us.
I'm dreading tomorrow even the journey to work on the tube can be a challenge.
Do you drink tea or coffee? I've stopped drinking caffeine and alcohol and think this has helped and I think I'm coping a little better.
If I feel the anxiety/panic attacks coming I just try to keep calm, take some bachs rescue remedy, drink very cold water, take some deep breaths and tell myself if I keep calm it'll go soon and it usually does.

onceagain
01-11-09, 18:45
Thank you both so much:D I am wanting to return to work, I suffer from anxiety depression and panic attacks. Unfortunately it was something left untreated and I had got very bad before getting help. I was put on to Citalopram 20mg, diazepam and sleeping tablets. I became suicidal and now am under the crisis team. I am so fed up with it all to be honest, getting them to understand that I NEED to return to work, but unfortunately I am now housebound in the evenings as for some reason I go into complete panic at the thought of something happening to me on my way home in the dark.

I want to go back but not do a once weekly late shift but return to work during daylight hours initially and hopefully as time goes on confidence will rise, I've been off for over a month now and I'm glad to hear that you can turn this around.

I am seeing a therapist weekly and am reading overcoming anxiety and overcoming depression. I am still only getting 5 hours sleep, but am sure that work is actually the best thing for me, I seem to be more afraid as I spend more time trapped in the house.

A very good luck for tomorrow, hope all goes well x

annette1
02-11-09, 06:45
Hi Sharon

Well done for going back to work, it is hard but as you say its probably the best thing to do as it brings some reality back to life.

I recently returned to work after 12 mths off with panic attacks & anxiety & had got to the stage that I couldn't go there without an attack. Like you I'm on Citalopram & have just increased it to 40mg which has made a big difference to my anxiety. I found that once I had explained to my manager & she informed the rest of the staff I didn't worry about making a fool of myself & they didn't try to help if I had an attack, they have been very supportive & don't fuss around me asking how I am.
If you are able try going part time for a short while or arranging that you can leave the premisses for a short time to ground yourself & then go back.

I do hope today goes well for you but remember, take each day as it comes, recovery comes in tiny steps until you are ready to take the bigger steps.

Take care & stay strong
Annette

onceagain
02-11-09, 08:07
Hi Penny

Just to say the very best of luck with today, will be thinking of you. Go girl x:D, please let us know how you got on x

onceagain
02-11-09, 08:12
Hi Annette

Totally agree, employers should be more sympathetic to it, fears are very real to the person involved. Did ask for the things you suggested and they unfortunately tied me to my existing contract, I would do anything to return in small steps, I would like to return during day light hours only until I move on a bit.

Can't wait to get back to work, really big well done to for getting back there and thank you for understanding :yesyes:

daisy222
02-11-09, 09:14
Hi Sharon

Hope you have a good day.

Can I ask your advice please? You said that you left it too long before you got help, when do you know that you need help? I am sick of myself trying to make me feel better, but don't want to go on meds. I have loads of worries just now but nobody would guess because I'm trying to hold it all together. I do have one or two sympathetic friends but even they are getting fed up of listening, I think.
My job invloves 2 days driving (240 miles alltogether) and that is my main anxiety.When I asked my boss's help in how to kind of swap duties, they said I could resign that part of my working week! I need the money and don't want to work part-time. My line manager is much more understanding and is worried that I will be signed off needlessly, as I love the rest of the week.

Thanks for listening,
Daisy

:flowers: