PDA

View Full Version : Hate Looking at Myself - Getting Older!!

zippy338
01-11-09, 20:52
:shades:Hi - this is my first post on here, so I'm not really sure what to expect. I'd really like to find someone who is in a similar situation to me and perhaps can offer some help/advice?

About a couple of years ago I noticed that I was starting to look older. I'm definitely not a vain person but it is really really affecting my whole life at the moment and making me feel depressed.

I've noticed that the skin around my eyes is getting lose and I feel like I've got really bad eye bags. I know that it's not probably as bad as I think, but because I'm the sort of person who suffers from OCD, depression, anxiety etc I think I'm blowing it all out of proportion!

I can't look at myself in the mirror and really really hate seeing my reflection anyway, as I feel like I look horrible.

I try to avoid going places with mirrors but as you can imagine this is not easy.

Does anyone else please have similar issues about their looks???

PanicOver!!
01-11-09, 21:00
Hi

I feel so sorry for you ...you are not vain i think this happens to all of us at some time.... i think the bit that scares us is coming to terms with our own mortality.
i have no idea how old you are but its not the beauty in the outside that counts but the beauty in the inside

x

zippy338
01-11-09, 21:05
Thanks for the support Marc - I'm 38 but still only feel about 18!!:D

PanicOver!!
01-11-09, 21:07
Hay im 46 and still feel 18 ..... well my mind does but my body doesnt lol :)

Adelle
01-11-09, 22:09
Hi, Im the same. Im 36 and this year I have noticed a big change in my skins appearance. I have mottling complexion on my forehead and am getting new spots etc all over which freaks me out because I always think its skin cancer. My eyelids droop and have frown lines. I plan on doing something about it though one day. Maybe for my 40th birthday present Ill get botox etc. It seems that Im the only one that notices it as I always get told I look like im in my late 20s so I bet you look young for your age. We are way too hard on ourselves.:hugs:

Bluebelle
01-11-09, 22:37
Hi Sweetie
I have had an issue with my physical appearance for as long as I can remember- and I was worried about getting older in an unhealthy way. In my twisted mind I came to equate looking older with being ill - strange I know but my mind ...well has mind of it's own! You know all those medical sayings like "age related blah blah blah..."

I was horrified of looking ill because if I LOOKED ill then I MUST be ill - I had some serious anxiety.

I've been trying to sort my thinking on this and it is helping somewhat

Do you think there are emotional issue connected to looking older that are upsetting you ? Maybe if we could sort the emotional issues we could devise a way to be more comfortable about mirrors.

I hope you feeling stronger soon-I'm here for you !
Love-Bluebelle

zippy338
08-11-09, 19:50
Thanks for all your replies...nice to know I'm not alone!!