PDA

View Full Version : have i got ocd?

kazo
07-11-05, 20:22
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think my symptom is ocd. My doctors said it is but has not done nothing about it or to help me with it.

I constantly am looking in the mirror at my belly, I do this at least 7 times a day and even wake in the night to look. I have tried to stop myself looking but get so frustrated that in the end i have to look. I dont know what i am really looking for but if i find a spot on my belly it makes me worse am look all the time to see if the spot has changed etc.

Do you think this is ocd and if so what help do you get for it.

Thanks Kazo xxx

nomorepanic
08-11-05, 20:05
Kazo

I am always looking at mine to see how big it is!!

I don't think it is OCD - it is probably just something you are focusing on at the moment.

Nicola

mum2four
08-11-05, 22:16
I dont think it's OCD or anything major as yet to worry about unless you hurting your self when you try not to look at you belly.

It were OCD you have more issues that about your belly than just looking at it. There is a condition call body dysmorphic syndrome(BDS) but you dont fit that discription either unless you are doing somthing distructive to your belly like picking at it or hurting your self in some way and extreamly obessed with your belly in a negaitve way.

I dont if I have body dysmorphic syndromw but i hope to fine out what eve my issue's are soon. I have anxiety and to focus on my belly more to the point my c -section scare and for the last 6 years's I have been scratching my belly mainly my scare area till is was so sore it has not healed in 6year's and I use to have to get my partner to hold my hands to stop cause I was like a real intence need to scratch my self that took hour's sometime to calm down fully and I would try ice and shower's and to stop my self tryed keeping my hand busy and I still could not stop this intence need to scratch. It was worse in bed when i was laying down. I'm on med's now for anxiety and the scrtaching stopped in 3 day's I never once thought med's could stop from scratching i thought i'd have more strength to stop once the anxiety was better but i never once actualy thought med's could stop the extream need to scratch my tummy.My tummy heal up in week which really made me realie how bad i was at scratching it it neber heald in 6 year's. I would wake up to my self scratching in my sleep that how much of a hold it had in me.

I sujest that you if you ever find a stonger fixation on you belly and some strong habbit forming like my scratching then seek help for sure. i never told my dr cause I thought he's think i was insane saying i couldn't stop scratching i couldn't understand how I couldn't stop scratching I just knew that how i felt. 6year i put up with only for it to go in 3 day's that's amazing the med's my Dr put me on the same med's thay use for OCD so there is help even if you dont have OCD as such or an extream case of OCD.

Right now I think just therpy might help you over come this but if left untreated in any form and you continue I think there is a strong change of you developing OCD or something like it. Some people may disagree with me on this as it seem many of them donty undertstand OCD the way I do I have a son who has the postencial to develop OCD as he has Asperger's and already had OCD tendancy so it sopose I have a different perspective. If you Dr has said it sound like OCD and hasn't treated you for it i would be asking more question and seeking therpy before it develops in to a full blown OCD habbit or a conected condition like body dysmorphic syndrome. Condiction like OCD and related once dont just apear one day that slowly increase with stress most OCD suffers have OCD tendancy for year's before it hit them full on. OCD people can have relapses all thier life. OCD is just another form of anxiety but far more extream. Anxiety people can have obessions as well like your's so just because you obsessed with you belly right now dosn't make it OCD unless you have the thought's that set the obsession's off basicly. I think it more like to develop in to BDS if left to get worse.

My self I have fear's of hurting my self or other which make me wonder if i have OCD or not. I will rock or tap when i get thought or image's of hurting people or my self. I have been a self halmer on off I banf my head started that at 9y and still did it till this day. I started cutting at age 15y and stopped at age 23 but the thoughts never went away thay alway still hit made me feel like i had to do it. I would have shut down in time's anxiety due to feeling like if i spock i would scream and if i scream thay would scream and what if i hit them and what if what if what iff ect ect. Till it got so in tence that i had to run away as the safest first avaliable excape. Once ran I couldn't stop till I felt safe which was often on my own or i feel like i was attact people

Piglet
09-11-05, 10:25
I agree with Nic, think it is just something you are focusing on at the mo.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.