PDA

View Full Version : Propanolol was too good to be true - stopped working

LouiseInLytham
02-11-09, 12:44
I'm really confused right now. I have suffered with anxiety and social anxiety for the past 8 years and got prescribed Propranolol a month ago. And, wow for the first week, I swear it was like a miracle drug and I managed to do stuff in that week I hadn't managed in years.

Problem is after a week of taking it, it doesn't even work half as good. I don't get it and after doing some searching on the internet, I can't find anyone in the same boat as me. The come down from being able to do all these things to back feeling anxious as been so deflating... and its made me feel really depressed. I felt like I had found some relief and its like my life has been taken away from me.

Can anyone relate to this?

jon_doh
03-11-09, 22:42
Oddly i had a similar conversation with my doc last week....... (well not my doc but the first one i got my hands on!!!!)

He seemed to understand what i was saying and came up with a different prescription...... a none addictive tranquiliser (i have a history of addiction)...... I'm stunned...... something that actually works (OK its an antipsychotic (Risperidone) that also works on anxiety......... but then Propranolol is a beta blocker designed for heart conditions!!!!! I can cope with the idea of taking an antipsychotic as easily as i can taking heart meds lol..... Hey at least now my heart goes at its normal rate!!!)

BTW my propranolol was upped to 40mg 3 times a day which worked for a bit if you are on a lower dose...... Talk to your doc!!!! there are other choices to propranolol....

B

x

NoPoet
03-11-09, 22:54
Problem is after a week of taking it, it doesn't even work half as good...I felt like I had found some relief and its like my life has been taken away from me.You've only been on it a week mate. You probably experienced a temporary euphoria from your first couple of doses (a positive side effect) and also you were boosted by the knowledge that you have started your recovery by taking affirmative action.

Unfortunately, you're right, it's not that easy. You may experience ups and downs along the way until the medication settles down and your body learns to tolerate it. Even when the meds are working you may have crap days or weeks. You're still human and you will still be affected by life events and normal mood swings. It's completely normal.

Nearly everybody who takes medication for depression and anxiety will find it can be weeks before they start to see real benefits. Those few weeks are tough, but look on them as an opportunity for character-building.

Keep taking the meds and keep looking forward to your recovery.

jon_doh
03-11-09, 23:08
Hi Psycho,

I know exactly what you mean re "honeymoon" periods...... by week read 2 weeks btw

On this occasion i have to disagree...... But what i was trying to get across was that there are other choices to propranolol (its always been difficult for me because of the addiction stuff...... doc feeds me very short bursts of Diazepam when i'm seriously off the wall, but even i get seriously scared by taking that!!!!! (if you ever get the opportunity to withdraw from addiction to anything then well you'll know why!!!!))

I'm a terrible person at replying to posts i tend to write then click OK then read my nonsense!!!!!!!.....

So to the OP....... listen to the words people offer here but get your true advice from professionals is my opinion when it comes to medications!!!.....

B

jon_doh
04-11-09, 00:08
The above is proof positive i type before i read!!!! sorry Psycho!!!!

nomorepanic
04-11-09, 00:26
Propanolol is not primarily designed to cure panic/anxiety though they say it can help as it reduces the heart rate.

Just remember that drugs don't cure these conditions - they restrict their effects