PDA

View Full Version : seroquel

bomberbeamish
02-11-09, 15:33
hi everyone,

has anyone used seroquel, i have been put on it for anixety and panic, it works once you beat the tiredness that took a week or so, but now ive started gaining weight, i know i was eating more, but i cant seem to lose it,
i have been doing ten miles aday on my exercise bike and sticking to weight watchers, for the last 3 days, im i wasting my time, do they just make you fat and thats it.

PLS ANY IDEAS WELCOME.

lucy

live to love life:)

sammie
02-11-09, 17:09
hi

i was prescribed this drug it did nothing for my anxiety and the big side effect is weight gain which is hard to shift even after you stop taking them

outlaw
02-11-09, 17:32
Be careful with this drug and other in this class of drugs as it has some very serious side effects (tardive deminsia) for approximately 30 percent of long time users. There are other drugs just as effective without risky side effects. This drug can cause permanent facial tics and other involuntary movements. It works by blocking the dopamine receptors in your brain but the brain is smart and constructs new receptors which cause the side effects.

Gaza
02-11-09, 17:52
I do not recommend this for anyone to take (maybe extreme cases need it but should be monitored daily).

http://www.seroquelxr.com/index.aspx please read carefully and understand the side affects of this drug. I have not used it myself, but my brother did and his weight balooned to 21 stone (from 16 ½ stone) and 5 years after he stopped taking it, he still trying to lose that extra weight. So be careful.

bomberbeamish
02-11-09, 18:41
thanx guys,
every time im put on a new med i cant stop looking it up and looking at side affects, so it would be a sruggle to start something new, i take prozac, and diaizpam when needed.
but the doc wanted me to cut down on diaizpam thats why i was put on seroquel, because im always anixous when being on my own!!. and always worring , and driving myself mad with my own thoughts. last week i wanted to stop as i feel they dont do much for me now as im on a low dose, and i dont want it increased as my weight will ballon, but i dont know how to and the doc said not to just stop them, i dont wanna be ill and full of anixety , what els is there to help me,, i just would like to use seroquel when needed, or just my diaizpam.
in the past ive been on beta blockers and got on well with them , im so confused , i dont know what other tablets there are like seroquel which can make me well but not fat .

thank you for taking the time to read and reply, i have no one els to talk to, they just dont understand.

lucy

outlaw
03-11-09, 00:41
It's hard to think anyone else has every felt as bad as you do right now but remember this will pass in time and you are taking the right steps to help yourself, the fact that you are under medical care and you have the courage to reach out on this site is a great step to getting better, admitting our shortcomings helps us all to correct them. Keep pluging no matter how hard the road might seem. This may sound stupid but exercise is the one pill you cannot get from a doctor but exercise is the single most important thing anyone can do to feel better no matter what the illness.

Chips
03-11-09, 21:03
Hi,
I've been taking 25mg of seroquel for a few months now and it has helped a lot with my panic and anxiety. At this low dose it basically relaxes me and helps me sleep. I take mine at night so the effects are gone by the next day.

There are risks with any medication, but in the low doses that Seroquel is usually prescribed for anxiety and panic, I personally can't see the problem. You can find bad things about every medication if you look hard enough.

The only side effects I've noticed are:
1. It makes me sleepy for about an hour.
2. I sometimes get a craving for a bar of chocolate about an hour and a half after taking the tablet!

All the best

Stu

sunshine-lady
04-11-09, 01:04
I take a very high dosage of seroquel,(along with other meds) to help manage bipolar. When I first stated taking it I did feel more hungry and craved sweet things, (although I don't have a sweet tooth). I made sure i had sticks of carrots and fruit at hand and luckily didn't gain that much weight. This passed in time and I can honestly say for myself this has been the best medication I have taken. It has literally saved my life and is giving me the hope that I will eventually overcome my agoraphobia!

Every medication can have side effects and each affect us differently, but for me the benefits of taking quetiapine far outway the initial side effects.

Keep plodding on hun and if you are still worried have a chat with your doctor.

Take care xxx

bomberbeamish
04-11-09, 09:34
thanks guys, i feel mush better about it now, when i look back it has done wonders for me, it just the weight gain getting me down, i shall keep ploding a long, take a day at a time,

xx

Rom
04-11-09, 22:28
Didnt know shrinks can put anxiety/panic patients on anti psychotic meds thought it was just anti depressants.

bomberbeamish
05-11-09, 10:28
i didnt untill i was put on them, its is common.

Rom
05-11-09, 11:55
Without me being too nosey, but why didnt they just but you on anti depressants and not anti psychotics if its not psychosis related ?

janni
05-11-09, 12:44
I have been on seroquel before prescribed for same reason. It is a good calming drug and the side effects that have been mentioned I can only think would happen on higher doses than is prescribed for anxiety. The reason that antipsychotics or i prefer to call them the major tranquilisers are prescribed is that the minor tranquilisers like valium which i also take have strong addiction result and also lose their effectiveness after a while. If you are gaining weight talk to your Doctor. I also found that seroquel increased my appetite. But there are other medications to try if you are unhappy on this one. take care and good luck in your recovery

bomberbeamish
05-11-09, 18:12
hi rom, i am also on prozac as well which is an anti depressant, and been on others over the years, and diaizpam which is a valium, janni is right seroqeul is like an valium. everyone needs different meds, and im at the level where im mananageing, but was worried about seroquel at first, but have now be resured that the side effecs ect, im happy to stay on it, and to keep a healthy diet and exercise to keep weight down.
seroquel is for biopoler, and some of the brain activity that i have with the uncontrolable thinking , and mood swings, it suits me. i feel im turning a corner and even though ive not travelled yet, im getting the feeling i want to , just not got the guts to get over the fear yet, but i take baby steps, ive been like this on and off for 12 years. i know it wont go over night, but im understanding it more, and since joining nmp has really helped. thank you people

Jill-Louise
06-11-09, 22:49
I'm just having my meds changed from seroquel....i've gained a stone in weight, sugar is very high and so is cholestrol. I've managed to lose 7lbs in 4 weeks but can't wait to get off it...:)

outlaw
07-11-09, 00:48
how much is a stone since this is how weight is measured in uk, hope you still like your brothers and sisters here in the states, never heard of a stone except kidney stone.

bomberbeamish
07-11-09, 08:24
a stone is 14 pounds, well done for loseing 7lb, thats great, ive been on a good diet and exercise the past week or so and ive lost 4lb which im really pleased with, if i can keep it up i will stay on seroquel. jill would you keep me updated on your progress and how many mg are you on aday, and how are you being weened off and wot are you going on,, soz for all questions.

lucy