PDA

View Full Version : Hi new 2 site, suffering panic attacks

Dazfoxy530
02-11-09, 16:26
Hi, my name is Darren. Ive been suffering with panic attacks for over ten years now, mostly brought on by excess alcohol. Really need some help 2 cut down or out the drinking. Does anyone have any ideas? Im fine at home the day after drinking, just get panicky if i go out anywhere. And i feel very emotional the day after. Was on seroxat for about 8 years but came off them bout 3 months ago cause just didnt think they were helping. Thanks, looking 4ward 2 talking on here.

nomorepanic
02-11-09, 16:27
Hi Dazfoxy530

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

bottleblond
02-11-09, 17:25
Hi Daz

Welcome along to NMP.

You will get lots of support here and meet some lovely new people.

Nice to meet you

Lisa

sue681
02-11-09, 18:15
Hi Darren
i had a problem with binge drinking at one point , i drank to stop me feeling anxious and nervous and out of place , it gave me more confidence.I couldn't wait for fridays to come so i could go out on the wine , i felt good for a few hours , it would block my troubles out , i must of drank a good 2 bottles !
Touble was the next 2 days i would be very anxious & panicky and stay in the house on my own (hence choosin fridays to do my drinking) then i'd go back to work and do the same the following week !
I have started stayin in more now so i dont do it and also i love gettin up on a sat moening without a hangover , drinking at home isn't a problem i only have the odd glass now and again.
Think u need to know why yr drinking ?? you don't say how much yr drinking ?
It is hard i do wish you well !
sue x

Dazfoxy530
02-11-09, 18:56
Thanks 4 the kind comments sue. I am similar in my drinking habits as u were. Usually one nite out a wk, heavy binge and two days feeling nervous, panicky etc. I thk my drinkin has got worse lately due 2 my girlfriend being out of the country and ive been out with lads more. Its a bit of one of those triangle effects, often feel nervous or tense, so go out drinkin, feel relaxed whilst out, but then really bad nxt day. I wonder if there are any support groups i could attend. AA seems a bit extreme though.

addy2301
03-11-09, 08:39
Hi Darren,
Hope you can get the help you are looking for, if you fancy a chat anytime message me, ii have a partner who has agoraphobia.

Adam

kazzablanca
03-11-09, 20:58
Hi Darren

My name is Karen, I am a recovering alcoholic, recovering only 3 months this time, I used alcohol to numb the pain of living and being around people, I come across as an extrovert but really I am a nervous wreck around people and used alcohol to cover this, unfortunately alcohol made me really ill with pancreatitis 6 times and can be fatal so I needed to stop, hopefully I will stay positive this time and live a alcohol free life.

My anxiety and panic attacks and a lot of what you are suffering kicked in really hard when I gave up the booze, so much for sobriety! I am seeing my doctor tomorrow to review my medication. This site has really helped me feel like im not alone in this thing, so stick with it and try and stay off the alcohol, no one can give it up but you, you have to want to, I never wanted to for a long time, I miss it every day, my crutch, my friend. I know ultimately I will be better off without it so for the moment I am sticking with it. I hope you do too, take care. Karen

Fran74
03-11-09, 22:40
Hi Darren
welcome to the forum
I suffer very bad anxiety if i have a big night drinking and until a months ago i used to have quite a few of them in tbe week , all my friends like to drink so i kind of drink to be level with them and also to be more confident and mostly forget about everything ..but for the past months i havd had to cut down as i my anxiety was so bad that i would also get anxiety while drinking..it is hard at times but i feel so much better especially the next day when i am not hangover and everyonelse is -:) as i like my drink what i am doing is drink slowly so instead of having lets say 3pints in an hour i now have one ..it is working for me ..hope you find something that works for you too
take care

BestMate
08-11-09, 20:26
Hi Darren,

I gave up the drink over six years ago now and can honestly say it's the best thing I ever did. I would drink to try and relax and give me confidence, but then feel anxious and panicky the next day. I gave it up at a time in my life when people tend to depend on it the most, my little boy was diagnosed with cancer. I never touched a drop from the day I heard those words but yet felt like a different person, I COULD deal with things without the wine! Give it a go, you have nothing to lose only to gain. I wish you all the very best. PS Although I do still suffer with anxiety, I promise it feels so much better dealing with it with a clearer head.