PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Twitching

blackberry1972
04-11-09, 12:41
Just thought I’d say hello and tell you my story if that’s ok.

In November of last year my 77 year old Father was diagnosed with Motor Neuron disease. Realising I didn’t have much time left with him I brought forward my planned wedding proposal to my girlfriend (I proposed on Christmas day) and we quickly organised the wedding for June this year.
Unfortunately my father passed away in March but the wedding still went ahead.
Just before we went on our Honeymoon I got a bit of a back ache which I quickly dismissed as I’ve always suffered with various aches and pains in my back most probably because I am quite tall.
Anyway when I got back from my honeymoon and my back was no better I decided to see an Osteopath. For some reason I started to worry about this and then I convinced myself I might have the same horrible disease that killed my father despite the fact that A) it’s very rare and B) it’s not hereditary.

Before I finally went to the Osteopath I actually broke down and told my Wife my concerns. She tried to comfort me but it seemed that everything she said was the wrong thing. Pretty soon after I started getting aches in my hands which was the first thing my Father noticed before he was diagnosed although he actually lost the use of his hands pretty quickly and also I was getting some muscle twitching all over me especially when I went to bed.

I finally went to the GP and explained my problem. She was very understanding and said that what I was describing to her sounded like Anxiety brought on perhaps by some delayed grieving over my Father as I never really had enough time to grieve due to the wedding. My hand pain slowly went away and the twitching decreased as well.
Then one day I decided to Google Muscle Twitching and Wikipedia told me that it could be a symptom of disease of the Motor Neurons. BANG I was right back where I started and in fact I felt worse.
Suddenly the muscle twitching got worse so I saw my GP and got a referral to a grievance counselor who so far I have seen 4 times.

Currently I have good days and bad days. I usually wake up with butterflies in my stomach and wait for the first twitch of the day. Sometimes I am busy at work and I realise I have gone hours without any twitching and other times I can’t stop thinking about it.

I am a fitness fanatic who works out 5 times a week including a couple of 5 miles runs. I think my Fathers disease has tapped in to my worse fear of being incapacitated.
I have told my Boss at work and so far he has been understanding and has decreased my workload when needed.

Thanks for listening

PanicOver!!
04-11-09, 12:52
HI welcome to NMP yu will find loads of help and support here

Gazman
04-11-09, 13:06
Hi Blackberry and welcome to the forum!

I too have muscle twitching all over, had it for a few months now, coupled with pains and aches in my hands, fingers arms etc, my doc believes it's all because of anxiety and somatization, but he has now refered me to a neuro to put my mind at ease as i told him i was worried i had MS or some other neurological disease.

You'll be suprised what the mind can do to the body!

I can have twitches really bad some days and hardly any the next, there are many theories to twitches, medically it's adrenaline stored in the body after being so stressed and anxious working it's way out.

I urge you not to google it as all you will get is the worst case scenario, i did it and it said ALS, i freaked out and that really started my anxiety.

blackberry1972
04-11-09, 16:02
Hi Blackberry and welcome to the forum!

I too have muscle twitching all over, had it for a few months now, coupled with pains and aches in my hands, fingers arms etc, my doc believes it's all because of anxiety and somatization, but he has now refered me to a neuro to put my mind at ease as i told him i was worried i had MS or some other neurological disease.

You'll be suprised what the mind can do to the body!

I can have twitches really bad some days and hardly any the next, there are many theories to twitches, medically it's adrenaline stored in the body after being so stressed and anxious working it's way out.

I urge you not to google it as all you will get is the worst case scenario, i did it and it said ALS, i freaked out and that really started my anxiety.

I also had the aches and pains in my hands but they went when my mind was put at ease by my GP. I then decided to Google Muscle Twitching as I had been getting those along with my aches and BAM I was in freefall.
I guess it's been about 5 weeks since I googled and I have been seeing a grievance counsellor. Like you the twitching comes and goes. I've got to the stage now where I 90% beleive that there is nothing wrong with me but there is this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
I usually wake up with butterflies in the pit of my stomach whilst I wait for that first twitch as I am wondering if I am cured or not.

I found this site and just knowing I am not alone made me feel so much better. Thanks so far for the kind words and support

janni
04-11-09, 16:42
Like Gazman, I too got diagnosed with somatization disorder and it's true what the mind can do to the body. I have it on a severe scale, have had hand pain to chest pain and find it hard to accept this is all anxiety but I assured by experts it is. I'm sorry about your Father and that you have these fears about the same condition. Like Gazman says too don't google I made myself hysterical from doing so and ended up in a state I find it hard to get out of. You have came to the right place, lots of us have symptom/s and we worry that they are caused by something else with gps telling us its anxiety. Welcome to No More Panic, I hope it helps and good luck with your recovery. take care x

Gazman
04-11-09, 16:47
I've got to the stage now where I 90% beleive that there is nothing wrong with me but there is this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
I usually wake up with butterflies in the pit of my stomach whilst I wait for that first twitch as I am wondering if I am cured or not.

Clear indications of anxiety, this as you know is what you have got to stop, fearing the twitches, as you may know will in most cases increase them.

Good luck with your counsellor, and i hope you make a full recovery both physically and mentally :yesyes:

mark1980
04-11-09, 21:35
Hi blackberry, I too have had twitching recently, I have been fearing a brain tumour.

Funnily enough I felt better for a few days and the twitching seemed to stop, then I recently had a bad day and felt back to square one. This coincided with the twitching returning, I still worry about it and other symptoms but I think that, deep down, it is caused by over anxiety and being too tense - hence the release of the built up muscle tension. At least that's what the rational part of my brain tells me, however the irrational side too often wins the war unfortunately.

blue22
06-11-09, 21:35
Hi Blackberry,

My Uncle was diagnosed with MND in July of this year. He's 51. He seems to be doing well at the moment, but the diagnosis has come as a massive shock to my family, which is very close knit and I still haven't got my head around it at all.

Aside from all of that - which I'd guess is a fairly normal response - I have been struggling with health anxiety for about 4 years. I have spent those years being convinced that I had once serious illness after another. Most recently suffering from ectopic heart beats, which had me seriously worried for well over a year, but that the doctors put down to anxiety. As you well know, having a close family member, who is a blood relative diagnosed with an incurable disease is not only devastating but terrifying.

My mum, who is a nurse and normally helps me to reason away my anxieties is clearly suffering with her nerves too and ever since my Uncle's news both of us have been experiencing a lot of twitching all over, not to mention some cramps and aching muscles. Mum tries to hide her worries from me, but I'm really close to her and I know when she is worrying. We both keep trying to remind each other that we have only really started noticing these symptoms since July, but the anxiety keeps getting hold of us.

I've been wondering how relatives of other MND sufferers cope, so it is nice to have found you.

Blue.

blackberry1972
09-11-09, 13:43
Wow, thanks for all the words of support, It's comforting to see that I am not alone.
For those of you who are also suffering with the twitching can you tell me what caused your Anxiety?

It is true what some of you have said though, once you accept the twitching and stop worrying about it it starts to ease off but then you have one bad day and it’s back with a vengeance.
I certainly don’t want to be put on any medication, but are any of you taking some herbal solutions? I’m drinking Camomile Tea which helps a bit.

tashbarnes87
09-11-09, 15:53
Heya hun, my twitching started 6 months ago just after i found a lump in my boob & my anxiety went sky high. I am still twitching now but i do not let it bother me & it is less. It can take months & months for your body to reset :) just learn to not fear them & they will go xx

blackberry1972
12-11-09, 11:34
Heya hun, my twitching started 6 months ago just after i found a lump in my boob & my anxiety went sky high. I am still twitching now but i do not let it bother me & it is less. It can take months & months for your body to reset :) just learn to not fear them & they will go xx

That is exactly what I wanted to hear:yesyes:. I only log on here when I am having a bad day, like today. Not sure why I get bad days but I woke with butterflies in my stomach this morning and my mind is over examining every twitch or ache in my body. Its strange really cos yesterday I felt really positive about everything.
BTW I assume the lump in your Boob was benign?

tasia
12-11-09, 12:25
Hey there blackberry.
I go through stages of twitches too especially in my legs...and am always worried I have some dreadful neurological problem..you will find this is very very common in people with anxiety problems such as yourself....So sorry to hear about loosing your dad....Take care and wish you peace. x

blackberry1972
16-11-09, 11:55
Hey there blackberry.
I go through stages of twitches too especially in my legs...and am always worried I have some dreadful neurological problem..you will find this is very very common in people with anxiety problems such as yourself....So sorry to hear about loosing your dad....Take care and wish you peace. x

Getting the twitches today so i'm back here but thanks again for the kind words.

Wee-Mee
16-11-09, 13:23
I have twitches too,so bad that it looks like something is trying to get out my skin..

*think of scene in Alien* Maybe not to that extent but I am worrying about it along with pain but just letting you know you are not alone and I am so sorry about your father :(

blackberry1972
16-11-09, 17:06
I have twitches too,so bad that it looks like something is trying to get out my skin..

*think of scene in Alien* Maybe not to that extent but I am worrying about it along with pain but just letting you know you are not alone and I am so sorry about your father :(

And what has caused your Anxiety?

mandyclare
16-11-09, 17:12
So sorry to hear about your father.. it's so hard to lose a parent.

All of these aches, pains and twitches sound like very typical anxiety symptoms that many of us suffer.

So glad your work is being understanding.

You have come to the right place for support

Mand x

tashbarnes87
17-11-09, 11:15
Heya, yes the lump was a cyst thank god but i really thought i was going to die & then the twitching started. I find for me tirdness has a lot to do with how bad they are. When you are out & about or busy do you notice them as much or if at all? x

blackberry1972
17-11-09, 14:10
Heya, yes the lump was a cyst thank god but i really thought i was going to die & then the twitching started. I find for me tirdness has a lot to do with how bad they are. When you are out & about or busy do you notice them as much or if at all? x

No, if I am out and about and or busy i don't notice/get them at all unless of course I start thinking "hey no twitching today" and then bam it starts:weep:.
Glad to hear that there was nothing physically wrong with you but why are you still anxious now?
sorry for the questions but I am so relieved that there are some people out there who are experiancing the same things as me.

blackberry1972
19-11-09, 10:07
Well I had my 6th session with my counsellor and she has refered me back to the GP so I can have some blood tests so that I can be sure there is nothing wrong with me. She said she didn't want to do this 2 months ago as she felt it might make me worse but as I haven't got over the Anxiety she thinks this is the best thing to do.
Now i'm starting to worry about the tests and the results.
My GP appointment is Monday
Scared now

tashbarnes87
19-11-09, 11:50
the blood test will rule out deficiencies & a blood count to make sure your not anemic. Magnesium deficiency has one big symptom ... twitching!! they will also check your thyroid, dont worry you wont get told anything bad. Im still anxious i guess because when i had my lump i relised that their could be something seriously wrong with me & how i would have to leave my son etc. I have a lot of symptoms which yes are probably anxiety but i have done the worst thing and googled everything. i know far too much about various illnesses and things & i am constantly convinced i have something terrible. I find at the weekend i am 99% ok as i have my partner with me & we are busy, Its when im on my own i worry :(

I have just realised that i havent had a muscle twitch today, though about it for 5 mins and bam! one in my leg.... silly anxiety!

blackberry1972
19-11-09, 14:04
the blood test will rule out deficiencies & a blood count to make sure your not anemic. Magnesium deficiency has one big symptom ... twitching!! they will also check your thyroid, dont worry you wont get told anything bad. Im still anxious i guess because when i had my lump i relised that their could be something seriously wrong with me & how i would have to leave my son etc. I have a lot of symptoms which yes are probably anxiety but i have done the worst thing and googled everything. i know far too much about various illnesses and things & i am constantly convinced i have something terrible. I find at the weekend i am 99% ok as i have my partner with me & we are busy, Its when im on my own i worry :(

I have just realised that i havent had a muscle twitch today, though about it for 5 mins and bam! one in my leg.... silly anxiety!

Thanks for the reassurance.
My twitches are exactly the same as yours, you realise you haven't had one for a while and start thinking about it and then Bam you get one.
It’s funny because I try and rationalise about the situation, ie I had a bad back and started to worry and then I got ache’s in my arms and hands and then I got muscle twitching. All of these symptoms started after I started to worry, I can see that and yet I live in a constant state of high alert, aware of every little ache, pain or muscle twitch and analyze each one.
I never thought I would suffer from something like this, I’m not the type.

Thanks again for replying though, it really helps to know I’m not alone:)

Gazman
19-11-09, 17:17
Thanks for the reassurance.
My twitches are exactly the same as yours, you realise you haven't had one for a while and start thinking about it and then Bam you get one.
It’s funny because I try and rationalise about the situation, ie I had a bad back and started to worry and then I got ache’s in my arms and hands and then I got muscle twitching. All of these symptoms started after I started to worry, I can see that and yet I live in a constant state of high alert, aware of every little ache, pain or muscle twitch and analyze each one.
I never thought I would suffer from something like this, I’m not the type.

Thanks again for replying though, it really helps to know I’m not alone:)

i thought i wasn't the type either lmao, i was so laid back and relaxed all the time i was a step away from a sloth, now i too have been having terrible health anxiety and twitching for the past few months, and like you all it takes is a thought like, oh i haven't had that for a while, or i'm glad thats stopped and bang it's back again.

I bet and hope your blood test results will be fine.

maureen berry
20-11-09, 10:54
hi blackberry do you get any body shaking as well i get when my nerves are bad shaking and vibrating inside my body:hugs:

maureen berry
20-11-09, 10:58
this question is to anyone else do anyone else wake up thinking there dying palpitations heart beating fast and trembling inside so frightened need some support please:scared15:

blackberry1972
26-11-09, 16:00
hi blackberry do you get any body shaking as well i get when my nerves are bad shaking and vibrating inside my body:hugs:

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I only log in when i'm feeling bad.

Back to your question, when I first started to worry I did shake a little especially when i went to bed as I have nothing to take my mind off of anything. The shaking has stopped as has the ache in my arms and hands and all I have now is the twitching. In fact I have a twitch now in my right shoulder which is annoying and worrying me in equal measure.
What brought on your Anxiety Maureen?

BTW I had my blood tests which I should get the results of on Monday.

blackberry1972
03-12-09, 11:33
Well I got my blood results on Monday and everything is fine. Now I need to move on from this and start enjoying life again.
Since Monday I have been more positive and am totally ignoring any muscle twitching that I am getting. I guess after 5 months of Anxiety the body will take a while to settle back down and for the twitching to go away?

Alisonj
03-12-09, 12:41
Hi BB,
I had an abdominal surgery weeks ago, a major surgery and afterwards my anxiety skyrocketed. I began having twitches as a result. Mainly in my legs and arms but somedays my eyes and other spots as well. I feared blood clots after the surgery and I almost wonder if that was what got things started. I havent seen my doctor about the twitching because I know he will say I am somatotizing like he always says. I have had panic/anxiety since I was about 15 and I am 33 now. The surgery just escalated things.
I am sorry for the lose of your father, mine died when I was 15.

blackberry1972
04-12-09, 11:20
Hi BB,
I had an abdominal surgery weeks ago, a major surgery and afterwards my anxiety skyrocketed. I began having twitches as a result. Mainly in my legs and arms but somedays my eyes and other spots as well. I feared blood clots after the surgery and I almost wonder if that was what got things started. I havent seen my doctor about the twitching because I know he will say I am somatotizing like he always says. I have had panic/anxiety since I was about 15 and I am 33 now. The surgery just escalated things.
I am sorry for the lose of your father, mine died when I was 15.

Was the loss of your Father at 15 the start of your Anxiety?

Alisonj
04-12-09, 13:42
Yes it triggered it all.

Jemba
07-12-09, 21:54
Blackberry,

I lost my Mum in February to MS, a few months later having ploughed on sorting out her estate and not dealing with my grief I started tingling, twitching, dizzy, strange sensations all over my body. Clearly my first fear and dear Dr Google informed me MS, MS, MS.
I have been for the brain MRI - all clear and have just finished bereavement counselling - it has helped. Not out of the woods yet but heading in the right direction. It is comforting for me to read a story of how bereavement can bring on such symptoms for me, so I wanted you to know that you are not alone and it does happen that grief can cause all this.

I wish you well in coming to terms with your loss and moving on from your symptoms.

blackberry1972
08-12-09, 15:58
Blackberry,

I lost my Mum in February to MS, a few months later having ploughed on sorting out her estate and not dealing with my grief I started tingling, twitching, dizzy, strange sensations all over my body. Clearly my first fear and dear Dr Google informed me MS, MS, MS.
I have been for the brain MRI - all clear and have just finished bereavement counselling - it has helped. Not out of the woods yet but heading in the right direction. It is comforting for me to read a story of how bereavement can bring on such symptoms for me, so I wanted you to know that you are not alone and it does happen that grief can cause all this.

I wish you well in coming to terms with your loss and moving on from your symptoms.

thanks so much for sharing and i'm sorry about your loss.

I've had a pretty good week and have felt positive and have ignored any twitches and thought I had this thing beaten, however yesterday i started to feel anxious again. I don't know why as my blood results were all fine.
I guess if Anxiety was this asy to beat this website would be pretty empty.

How are you feeling now Jemba?
Does the Anxiety dominate your thoughts 24-7 like it did with me?

Alisonj
08-12-09, 23:51
I had my docs appt today and he is not at all concerned with the twitching. He says he even experiences it at times. If it goes on for another month he said he would investigate it further but is not worried for now.

Jemba
13-12-09, 22:23
Basically yes, it drives me nuts. I have been in tears this morning from the exhaustion of it being in my head all the time. Before I lost my Mum I was a chilled person, never had anything like this. Now it is there all the time. Twitching, tingling & numbness. I do have good times, a few days here and there - this is a new thing tho. I am going in the right direction, a little low again the last couple of days. I recognise Christmas is going to be hard.

I have worked our anxiety comes and goes and hits you when you don't even think it is there. I think that it is one step at a time for us all.

How are you doing now?

blackberry1972
24-12-09, 12:08
Basically yes, it drives me nuts. I have been in tears this morning from the exhaustion of it being in my head all the time. Before I lost my Mum I was a chilled person, never had anything like this. Now it is there all the time. Twitching, tingling & numbness. I do have good times, a few days here and there - this is a new thing tho. I am going in the right direction, a little low again the last couple of days. I recognise Christmas is going to be hard.

I have worked our anxiety comes and goes and hits you when you don't even think it is there. I think that it is one step at a time for us all.

How are you doing now?

Well I haven’t been on here for a while which means I have been doing pretty well.
I had a counseling session again two weeks ago and I told her that I know there is nothing physically wrong with me and the idea that I should be diagnosed with the same rare and non hereditary disease that killed my father in the same year that he passed away is absurd and illogical. I left my appointment in high spirits and for a whole week apart from the odd small tingle I have been fine. I haven’t even felt anxious in the mornings. For some reason though this week I’ve started to feel a little anxious again and I can feel those insects crawling under my skin again. I’m hoping that with Xmas tomorrow I will forget all about it for a few days.
I know now that I can beat this thing and I know for certain that it is anxiety and not some horrible disease as incurable diseases don’t come and go depending on whether you think about them or not.

So to recap, at the moment I am taking two steps forward and 1 back but I am moving in the right direction.

How are things with you now?

stuart88
26-12-09, 12:15
Just thought I'd post this to reassure any young people like me who worry about ALS due to their twitching.

If the incidence of ALS is 2/100000, 2 in every 100,000 people are diagnosed with ALS each year. Comparing this number to the age distribution numbers shortly outlined will tell us that the chance of getting ALS any particular year, when you are younger than 38, is about 1:165,000,000

This kind of puts things into perspective. 1:13,983,816 is the chance of you winning the lotto jackpot. So really, we should be expecting to win the lottery every week going by they stats compared to ALS.:D

Jemba
27-12-09, 22:30
Well I haven’t been on here for a while which means I have been doing pretty well.
I had a counseling session again two weeks ago and I told her that I know there is nothing physically wrong with me and the idea that I should be diagnosed with the same rare and non hereditary disease that killed my father in the same year that he passed away is absurd and illogical. I left my appointment in high spirits and for a whole week apart from the odd small tingle I have been fine. I haven’t even felt anxious in the mornings. For some reason though this week I’ve started to feel a little anxious again and I can feel those insects crawling under my skin again. I’m hoping that with Xmas tomorrow I will forget all about it for a few days.
I know now that I can beat this thing and I know for certain that it is anxiety and not some horrible disease as incurable diseases don’t come and go depending on whether you think about them or not.

So to recap, at the moment I am taking two steps forward and 1 back but I am moving in the right direction.

How are things with you now?

Well done Blackberry, good to hear that you are doing well. I am on the up mostly. Just seem to be stuck with this funny leg, but the twitching and tingling are pretty much gone now. Had some yucky virus thing that brought the tingling back over Xmas, however I realised that it was because I could only shallow breath - so that ties in with the anxiety.

Hope you continue to keep it in focus, I think we will all have the occasionaly hiccup but if we believe it is anxiety then that it half the battle.

andrea thompson
27-12-09, 23:03
hi blackberry,
i have had some twitches and i am sure its all anxiety related, it seems worse when i am stressed or tired. you have been through a traumatic experience and you need time to recover. i know its hard but try to relax. have you checked the symptoms on here.. i find it really helps to see the symptoms and their causes in black and white.
i hope you start to feel beter soon.
take care
andrea x x

blackberry1972
29-12-09, 10:30
Well done Blackberry, good to hear that you are doing well. I am on the up mostly. Just seem to be stuck with this funny leg, but the twitching and tingling are pretty much gone now. Had some yucky virus thing that brought the tingling back over Xmas, however I realised that it was because I could only shallow breath - so that ties in with the anxiety.

Hope you continue to keep it in focus, I think we will all have the occasionaly hiccup but if we believe it is anxiety then that it half the battle.

Yeah i've had a bad cold all over Christmas and have generally felt tired and run down so the twitching is back again. I've also got the usual post Xmas Blues today which doesn't help and my heart has been racing a lot the last couple of days which is odd

Jemba
29-12-09, 15:54
I get the heart racing, that is anxiety again. It is going to be up and down. I have made the mistake of thinking I have beaten it, it is one step at a time. The fact we get respite means we are heading in the right direction. It took a while to come on so it will take a while to go away. Keep your chin up, it sounds like you are doing so well.

blackberry1972
15-01-10, 17:00
I get the heart racing, that is anxiety again. It is going to be up and down. I have made the mistake of thinking I have beaten it, it is one step at a time. The fact we get respite means we are heading in the right direction. It took a while to come on so it will take a while to go away. Keep your chin up, it sounds like you are doing so well.

Thanks
Your words are very reassuring
I have a session with my counselor today in about 45 minutes actually and would have liked to have told her that I was cured but like you said, you think you have it beaten and then BAM its back but you’re right I must be moving on the right direction.
Another reason mine probably came back is that my Cat has not been well for the last month and New years day I thought we were going to have to have him put to sleep but he is doing ok now and I feel better. The last week in fact has been pretty good so I’m feeling positive again.
I can handle the butterflies in my stomach its just the twitching that forces me to worry.

How are you doing BTW?

blackberry1972
08-03-10, 14:16
I’ve had/am having a bad couple of days so I’m back.
My muscle twitching actually woke me up on Friday night and then I was laying there totally filled with dread.
I did eventually manage to calm myself and fell back to sleep and Saturday and Sunday were better but today I have a twitch in my back which is giving me those butterflies in the stomach feeling.
It’s annoying as I have been slowly improving over the last couple of months and can go a whole week without feeling anxious sometimes.
To recap, I started feeling anxious in August 2009 so it’s been 7 months now and I’m just a little fed up with the whole thing.
Anyone else getting these same feelings or has anyone else beaten it?