PDA

View Full Version : Low BP and pulse but prescribed propranalol

hunny
04-11-09, 13:24
Hi
My GP has just given me 4 weeks supply of half inderal 80mg as I have horrendous anxiety and after resisting anti'ds for years I went in desperation to ask for some antid's....
I have only been with this practice a short while so never had any meds etc from them only from my previous Dr a long while back

The thing is I have low BP and don't really get racing heart etc and aren't these what propranalol are for?
Any one the same or can advise?
H x

KK77
04-11-09, 18:07
Propranolol lowers BP. Does your Dr know that you have low BP? Propanolol is used for the physical symptoms of anxiety, ie shaking, palpitations, high BP etc and is a beta blocker. Maybe you should go back to your GP because I get low BP and it never agreed with me.

gypsywomen
04-11-09, 18:15
hi there not like blood pressure tablets, i have been on them 3 years and i have low bp at times all they do is stop adrenaline rushes that cause panic and heart racing but if your not happy doc will give you something but hey do work with no side effects well not with me ,xx

KK77
04-11-09, 19:40
Propranolol is a betablocker which is used for high BP. The result of lowering adrenaline is to also lower BP but perhaps I'm wrong. I nearly passed out several times on it and my GP said it's not suited to people with transient low BP. X

hunny
05-11-09, 17:08
Hi
Well , took one last night and hated it! Was ok at first but worried at the fact my pulse went so slow , had awful things going on in my head ,thought I was going mad , had shakes and heavy chest and didn't sleep until 5am and then dozed for an hour until my dh got up , no thanks not for me!

H x

PoppyC
10-11-09, 10:53
Hi
Sorry to hear what happened, hunny.
I have very low blood pressure and always have done. I have been prescribed Propanalol by my gp combined with Citalopram, and then I am coming off Cit to go onto Venafalaxine.
I told my gp about my low blood pressure - which he knows about anyway - and he said it would not cause any problems.
I have been told to take only when I get really panicky, as obviously blood pressure rises then, so there should not be a problem. I am scared to try though :scared15:

KK77
10-11-09, 14:42
Hi

I have been told to take only when I get really panicky, as obviously blood pressure rises then, so there should not be a problem. I am scared to try though :scared15:

That's not always the case. BP can also fall in many people when they get panicky as they're not receiving enough oxygen in the blood. I know for a fact that if I get very anxious my BP gets very low and I tend to feel dizzy and light-headed. This is why some people even faint when they have a panic attack or get very anxious. However, I hope that it works for you.

Jaco45er
10-11-09, 14:51
Have a word with your GP if you are concerned Hunny.

One of the functions of these tablets ARE to lower blood pressure, but also treat angina, anxiety symptoms etc.

I found my heart rate dropped to 50 bpm on them, and made me feel a little tired. Give your GP a call to put your mind at rest.

TC

Jaco

PoppyC
10-11-09, 15:03
I am going to give them a try and if I pass out then I wont use again and can blame my gp!. Hopefully they will work.

hunny
11-11-09, 11:19
Hi
Poppy , give them a try , they could well help you , I don't want to put you off as they are really effective for some people
I don't want to try them again , I am one of those people whose BP doesn't necessarily rise with panic

Thanks all
H x