PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Teesside!

filiem
04-11-09, 13:27
Hi there, just found this forum and grabbing the bull by the horns as it were, and thought I would register and say hello :). Also forgive me, I'll try not to make any spelling mistakes but I'm quite on edge as I type and my concentration is a bit off :blush:

My name is Emma, I'm 28 and live in NE England, with my long term partner and our beautiful 3 year old girl.

I had my first panic attack in 2001, which still haunts me to this day. I honestly thought I was dead and being pulled up towards heaven, strange when I'm not even particularly religious!

Since then I have probably only had maybe 4 or 5 full-blown attacks, this is probably more to do with the fact I learned some distraction techniques and I know now how to "pull myself out of it", if you understand me?

The general anxiety however is with me a lot of the time, and there are certain situations and places I will avoid :blush:

I have never sought out any medical advice and the reason I've joined up here today was for some support and advice, and to chat with you all, as you can see I can chat for England! :roflmao:I very nearly had an attack on the way to pick up my daughter from nursery on Monday and that has got me thinking I have to do something about this, as I couldn't face taking her there this morning, and that is completely not fair on her and I feel so guilty.:blush: I took her OK yesterday but felt so so anxious, and my nerves seem to be worse today, I just couldn't face it. :blush:I feel absolutely dreadful about it.

Ok that will do for now, thanks for reading my rambling post and look forward to chatting with you all :hugs:

diane07
04-11-09, 13:29
Hi filiem

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

filiem
04-11-09, 13:55
Thank you :D Just having a good look around! :)

gypsywomen
04-11-09, 14:36
hi no need to suffer alone ,,this site is brill, you will get loads supporti dont know what i did till i joined,,, its a shame you feel like you do ,,are you on any mediction for your panic xx

filiem
04-11-09, 14:43
Hi and thanks Tetley and Gyspywomen :)

No, I have never ever been to the doctors about any of this and thus have never taken any meds...the doctors surgery is one of the places I hate going :doh: I suppose I've just lived with it for so long and just never given it much thought in a medical sense, I just thought it was a part of who I am and just got on with it. Monday was the wake-up call I needed, I don't want my daughter to suffer or miss out on anything because of me :weep:

gypsywomen
04-11-09, 15:01
your daughter will be fine ,,don't worry sometimes i think we are better off without meds but there comes a time we nee them as its to hard to cope ,, if you feel its getting worse nothing wrong with having a chat to Doctor he will understand..don't let it get worse like a lot of us do x

filiem
04-11-09, 15:18
Hi again :)

I'm not against the idea of meds but I know nothing about the types used in anxiety or panic situations, I did notice the section on this forum about it all so going to have a read through them. :)
That's exactly it, I really don't want it to get any worse and if anything will help, then I'm all for it! I was prescribed anti-d's about 5 years ago (citolopram) due to a very stressful event in my life, I only took them for a few months because they gave me the boost I needed to find my feet again. However my panic and anxiety started way before this event and continues to this day.

I am seriously thinking about making a doctors appointment, if people reckon it might help me :)

Marti36
04-11-09, 15:34
Hi filiem,make the docs appointent and see what he says!

gypsywomen
04-11-09, 15:35
i read your post about your attack gong to nursery it must have been awfull, thats why its upst you that much you ont want to go out that is understanable but one thing you seem a strong person so dont let it win xx

filiem
04-11-09, 15:53
Hello again :D

I'm not a "shrinking violet" in that sense, I'm not a particularly shy person but I often overcompensate for being anxious by being overly chatty with people in the street, for example, I often feel like I'm pretending to be confident when i'm not really. Does that make sense? :blush:

The attack going to nursery caught me completely off-guard, usually I have the anxiety before I have an attack but I didn't this time, i was feeling completely OK beforehand...if I'm feeling anxious I will avoid going outside, but I didn't have that feeling on Monday.

Thanks for the support xxx