PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound familiar?

filiem
04-11-09, 14:31
New member, so hello :D

I just wanted to briefly describe my last "near" panic attack which I had on Monday, just to see if anyone recognises my situation and such like. I have had larger scale attacks in the past but seeing as though this one was so recent I thought it would be theraputic to jot it down :)

I was walking along a pavement, going to pick up my DD from nursery, I felt completely fine leaving the house etc. Then suddenly my mind went into overdrive, I found it hard to breathe...I began grasping for something, anything in my handbag so keep my grasp on reality...my brain was telling me "You HAVE to pick her up from school...you CAN'T die now"...so I continued walking along the pavement, almost like with blinkers on, my heart was racing, i felt light-headed and light-footed...the sun seemed brighter. I was worried that I would collapse and my daughter would be stuck at nursery wondering where I was...:weep:

After about a minute the panic thoughts had gone...I picked her up fine and haven't left the house since. But even over 48 hours later I still don't feel right. I feel like I'm permanently on alert, shaky, still quite detatched from reality really.

Anyway thanks for reading, I call it a "near" panic attack because I somehow managed to keep a hold on reality.

jude uk
04-11-09, 14:56
Now this is a thread I could have wrote and I am sure so many others as well. I think its a great post because for me its GREAT to know others feel this way as well, so we are normal:)
You have described the whole event 100% and that is exactly what happens and how I feel sometimes. Like you its "I cant die now I have things to do":DGive yourself a massive pat on the back for getting to school and back while suffering because it was not easy.

I suppose what you are feeling now is the after-shock of the whole event but dont let that stop you. Use the power you had to collect your DD because its there and you have that courage inside you still.

Thanks for a great post and I hope you keep taking these small steps

PanicOver!!
04-11-09, 14:58
Hi Definately sounds like a panic attack to me
mine always leave me shaken for a couple of days

filiem
04-11-09, 15:28
Hi :)

I suppose the fact that I had to get to school made it better (I had a purpose and somewhere to aim for) but also worse (there was pressure on me to do a certain task when i felt like I was losing control)...it's a funny old thing, isn't it! :D

I'm very interested in hearing other people's experiences, my very first panic attack was the most bizarre and frightening thing I have ever experienced, ...even though it was nearly 9 years ago the whole thing is still very vivid in my memory. I'll describe it a bit later :D Thank you for your very kind words :hugs:

PanicOver!!
04-11-09, 15:49
Anxiety seems to spring up on like that
when you have to go somewhere and you feel you cant just walk away

best of luck x

nicolem
07-11-09, 13:15
hi im new to all this, ive been having the same sort of thing where i feel like my body has just fell down a hole and my life being torn away from me my head goes blank. Just as u said its hard to stop thinking i cant die now. ive only just been told its panic attacks im having and just to know thats what is happening is helping. just keep thinking to yourself, 'my body is just playing me up' it always passes but staying focused on understanding whats going on is helping me. Its a very scary experience and like you i do things such as put my hand on something hot/cold or under running water to remind me im still alive. Keep a packet of strong mints or something to chew to keep u thinking of something else. Well done for getting to school though , i feel for you :bighug1:

pammy1944
07-11-09, 13:21
sounds like panic to me .......when i have bad ones i cant see/hear/speak and im tired for days after .......good luck xx

lozboz
07-11-09, 13:40
Hi every1, im fairly new to this to, ive been having panic attacks for a couple of mnths now, but they seem to be getting more regular,
i always feel like there is a huge lump in my throat and its closeing up and then i panic that i cant breath, i try and take my mind off things but i find it so hard xxxx

Jennymalo
07-11-09, 16:03
Hi I have suffered for years off and on. Does anyone suffer with tingles when the panics are bad?

lozboz
07-11-09, 16:55
Can anyone help with any tips on what to do if u get a lump in your throat and feel like u cant swallow and its blocked? x

filiem
12-11-09, 00:31
the throat thing seems quite common...I don't get the "I can't breathe" feeling but i do get "if i keep swallowing I know I'm alive" feeling...
my panic attacks seems to be much more in the head than anything else...i seem to be in much more control of my body than my mind :)

tracy2
12-11-09, 16:44
hi, just joined. iv been getting the blocked throat thing, just found out today its apparently called globulus hypericus(think i got the spelling of the second word wrong),my attacks hadnt started off with it so i really really thought this time something must be wrong.my thought yesterday to keep me going was as long as my throat gave way when i got home with my partner,rather than dying in work.
fortunately now know its another panic thing, have read so far that having a good cry and neck stretches/massage can bring some relief.having tried them, the lump does seem to have went down a bit

karenlock
12-11-09, 17:47
yes it does sound familiar i get exactly the same!i feel crappy for days after must be coz we use a lot of energy during an attack.i have had an attack when i was due to pick up my son from school n found that making it my goal to get there seemed to help although i still felt unreal when i collected him.ur not alone!:hugs: