PDA

View Full Version : Yellow everyone, a bit of a intro ramble

empyroline
04-11-09, 15:49
Hey there,

I joined yesterday and thought i'd introduce myself.

I'm 33 . My anxiety engine is always running, shifting up or down the gears, humming gently in the background. It's only now I'm recognising that I do have anxiety, though the term has been kicking around me. And I guess I have eventually developed some sort of coping mechanisms but It's still getting in the way of my life.

I'm currently unemployed and shacked up with my partner in his parents house. Just had another rejection letter this morning.
I moved to Carlisle from Edinburgh in February and have been unemployed until now apart from a brief spurt as a Summer holiday playscheme worker.

I worked with the kids fine it was the other staff that were an issue - as there were a lot of big personalities I became a bit of a wall flower. I'm a slow burner, It takes a bit of time to feel comfortable.

But i really haven't adjusted well to being away from what Edinburgh. I know it's daft but even the accents down here make me uneasy.

So within the first few months of unemployment I got offered a job running a library but couldn't take it- I was so freaked out. The buck? would stop with me. I'd be responsible for other staff and have to sort out all the problems, there was no one to ask, what if there were issues to do with fines? I'm not good with numbers and when I look at the screen it all becomes a matrix , then I start to panic.

But never mind, I was accepted onto teacher training in Newcastle. I went through, spent one night, freaked out and came back to Carlisle, I tried again the next week - made it to the station and had another freak out - perhaps it might be a panic attack - no hyperventilating though.

I can't really explain what went wrong. True, the chap I was due to move in with was a bit odd and the house was grim but I was already freaking out in July after the pre - induction. Everyone was so Up for it! Yee hah! and I had worked with kids on an estate in Edinburgh and although it's got it's good side it is grim too. No Yee hah for me!

So I don't know if it was just not for me, or if it's anxiety, or what? It's hard to have instincts when your always a little on edge. And I didn't want to start on the course on the wrong foot - I knew it would just spiral.

Anyway I have managed to defer and perhaps if i can make some links contacts in NewC I might be more comfortable. But I don't really know how to do that.

So I have really mucked things up.

Can't find a job - looking in Carlisle and Edinburgh. Seem to be over qualified due to having a pgdip in Art. Don't really want to do art any more - it makes me feel ill sometimes.

I can do social situations but I usually need a few drinks and to know some peeps.

I don't really have panic attacks or I don't recognise them...
erk don't really know what else to say...

nomorepanic
04-11-09, 15:51
Hi empyroline

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Maj
04-11-09, 20:37
Hi,

Moving somewhere new takes a bit of adjusting to so you're probably still feeling the after affects of that. This'll have brought your anxiety to the fore again. Your self esteem sounds really low. I feel for anyone looking for a job as it must seem impossible at times. This alone won't help your self esteem. The library job probably was quite daunting because not everyone is suited to supervising people - it's all down to personality. Big personalities make me take a back seat too so you're not alone in this. You are who you are so don't beat yourself up. Maybe once you settle in you'll get your confidence back again and look for a job that suits you. I hope you get a nice job soon where your own personality can shine. Be proud of yourself, you sound like a nice, unassuming person.
Myra x:)