PDA

View Full Version : Adrenalin Associations

uryjm
26-01-04, 21:43
I was watching a programme tonight on Thrill Rides, and just watching some of them made me feel edgy! I think this must be the adrenalin being pumped into my blood which I've learned to associate with the onset of panic. I've felt awful on some rollercoasters, which I've forced myself onto as my little boy loves them. They're bad enough without thinking you have a real chance of having a heart attack too, or leaving them a gibbering wreck! Learning to control the arenalin release would be a great skill, I think.

Jim

Meg
26-01-04, 21:57
Thats an interesting point Jim.

When I was still pretty much 24/7 scared, I forced myself to go to Alton Towers and started off on Nemesis - my fave and it was just fine. I did feel the stirring working it's way up but I associated it with excitement not fear but then queued to go on Air which was new. A completely different set of emotions.. I was retching with fear by the time we got to the top of the queue and was ready to bottle out but somehow didn't . I hated having my legs being strapped in and facing down - just like a captured trophy - but consoled myself that if I was sick the chances of aspiration were nil.

Once it got going I was fine and returned twice more that day for more.

I've got an article somewhere about this , I'll dig it out .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
26-01-04, 21:59
Jim

I have NEVER liked that adrenalin rush of fair-ground rides. I hate them but I love to watch them cos I know it ain't me on them - lol.

Yeah the adrenalin rush is still the "fight or flight" response so it is quite natural to feel like that. It still gets to us even though we just watch from a safe distance.

I don't know how you control it cos it is a natural reponse and if we lost it then we would never avoid danger I guess.

Just my thoughts anyway!

Nicola

Meg
26-01-04, 22:05
Changing Fear into Excitement - By Ted Schredd

You’ve made arrangements for a safe experience, but you’re still too scared to get on the roller coaster or get out on the dance floor. Then turn your fear into excitement. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Be thankful that you have this highly tuned system that recognizes danger and lets your senses sharpen. Let it send tingles to the tips of your toes and enjoy the burst of energy. Fear will multiply your excitement sensations. You may be scared now, but when you come out the other side, you will feel fantastic, confident, proud and reliving your wonderful adventure. Another positive twist on being scared is that the more scared you are, the more intense your pleasure will be during and after your fun activity.

Most of your fears are imagined and should be treated as imaginary. Learn to distinguish the fears that are valid and those that are not. The next time you feel scared, challenge your fear and the thing you fear will disappear. Ask yourself, “What would I do if I wasn’t feeling fear?” then act accordingly. When you confront your fears, astonishing things will happen. Remember you are the master and you are in control.

Each time you challenge your fears, you add another brick to a solid foundation for happiness. Each tiny little fear that you face and conquer will give you courage against all your other fears. If you’re unable to take control of your fears, go and seek professional help. Moving past unreasonable fears will give you astonishing amounts of self-respect, confidence and satisfaction. Use courage and knowledge to assist you in your journey. If there is a fun activity that you want to try but are afraid, make a plan to conquer your fears. Investigate it, take some lessons, learn what you can, turn your fear into excitement, pretend to be brave and then go for it. Who runs your life, unfounded fears or wonderful you?

benoo5
26-01-04, 22:32
think i will stick to the bumper cars lol..bryan.

sarah
26-01-04, 23:14
Hiya Jim

I saw that programme about rollercoasters too and it made me feel edgy.
It aslo made me jealous that I dont do stuff like that anymore. I used to love them but seeing as just going to the shops gives me an adrenaline rush I think im gonna leave it a while before I attemt one again...lol
Ive been on the oblivion in Alton towers about 3 years ago and I have to say its the best one ive been on for the total freak out feeling, but as I say, its gonna be a while before I try and get a rush like that!!!

love Sarah
xx

Lottie32
27-01-04, 11:04
When I feel like I've got a build up of adrenalin, I find that some form of exercise, or activity helps - from hoovering or a walk to the shops, to running or a visit to the gym.

Unfortunately this doesn't help in the middle of the night, or when you are at work etc! (Although I do try and walk in my lunch hour - briskly for 20mins)

Charlie

uryjm
30-01-04, 20:28
Interesting article Meg, which I guess must be CBT. The trick will be associating the adrenalin sensations with excitement and enjoyment instead of dread and doom. It's true that once I've pushed myself through the daunting experience I feel quite chuffed with myself - with the exception of the elevator drop in Disney's Tower of Terror. I'm afraid I couldn't see any enjoyment before, during or after that one!

Jim