PDA

View Full Version : Hi all!

strider
05-11-09, 21:00
My 15 yr old is suffering from severe panic attacks. Now agrophobic and school refuser (although she attends small tuition centre with one to one teaching). Was diagnosed with ocd earlier on in life and a specific phobia of vomit. Cos' symptoms of panic attacks include nausea/stomach upsets...once a panic starts it seems like a never ending circle. She's been on citalapram (cant spell it!) and fluxetine (same again!) but the latter only for 2 wks. I'm not liking the medication route as they seem to upset her stomach and set her off again. Have booked a one-2-one yoga/meditation session for sunday. Will let you know how we get on (if anyone's interested that is :whistles: Best wishes to you all!

nomorepanic
05-11-09, 21:01
Hi strider

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

cunny1980
05-11-09, 21:04
Hi Strider
I would like to hear how you get on - never really tried yoga so would be interesting to hear what you think.
Take Care :)

mandyclare
05-11-09, 21:05
Hi Strider.... how hard for you to see your poor daughter go through this.. thankfully she has a loving mum to help her cope.... sounds like you are trying different things.. im sure you will find something that works for her. I hope you get a breakthrough soon.

Mand x

Elmum
05-11-09, 21:17
Hi, I'm new to this too... I was going to brave writing about my reasons for "being here" but thought I'd just see what else was going on on the site first, and read your message. It must be so difficult watching your baby struggle like this. It's partly because I'm a mum now (to 8 month old twin girls) and imagining them learning MY cycles of behaviour, or having them hereditarily, that I've finally admitted defeat (I've always been adamant I can get through it all off my own back) and am seeking help. It scares the wits out of me that they may suffer as I have done, and there you are, living through that very nightmare. My heart goes out to you, I sincerely hope something can be done for her. x x x x

Maj
05-11-09, 22:17
Aw, I always feel for children who suffer from anxiety. It's hard enough to deal with as an adult. Of course we are all interested to hear how your daughter gets on - we'll be with her all the way in our thoughts. I hope the yoga helps. It's a worry for you as well. You sound like a really supportive, caring mum and she won't go wrong having you by her side. I really wish you both well.
Myra x:hugs:

strider
06-11-09, 13:22
Thank you all so much for your kind words....I've shown my daughter and as a result she wants to join too! We are still both not sure how this forum thingy works so hopefully me replying to myself is the way forward??!! My daughter went into school yesterday :yesyes: and was back again this morning (go schnooks!) but I had to leave work and pick her up again today cos' she was anxious....and her anxiety brings on a type of IBS, which in turn makes her think she's not well and she gets a bit panicky...etc etc...you all know the score! Wow what an achievement though, I'm so proud of her for going in!!:bighug1:

Thanks again to everyone for your lovely welcome xx

Maj
06-11-09, 14:34
Your daughter sounds as though she's really trying to feel better. Even the fact that she went to school is a big step. Through time she'll feel stronger and be able to cope with it more. Every little step helps. She's obviously very sensitive and there's no harm in that, it's usually always caring, thoughtful people who are like that. I just think that some of us are born anxious and through time you do learn to live with it. I'm sure she will too:yesyes:
Myra x
p.s. there's bound to be people her age on this site as well. She could meet some good, supportive friends, going through what she is.:)