PDA

View Full Version : non-epilectic seizures

Skakitty
06-11-09, 10:34
Just to see if anyone else has had a similar experience really-

On tuesday I had a bad morning at work, as i was feeling really tired and physically feeling panic symptoms. I have also experiencing palpitations and so the 1st aider at work decided to call in a paramedic. I did have a small panic attack (for me, this is upset/hyperventilation/pins and needles/sweating) but i managed to calm myself down quite quickly using my coping techniques of a paper bag, counting breathing with the 1st aider, and distraction of staring at a fixed point.

I was then hooked up to a heart monitor, which was reading fine. I was just chatting away, and quite calm, when i started to have this wierd sensation of my eyes going cross-eyed. Then i felt my eyes go wide and staring right up to the top of my eyes (couldn't close them or stare downwards) and my muscles pull upwards in my face./neck- and then my body just started 'fitting' like uncontrollable muscle movement, flailing around like a fish out of water!

I was fully concious, and I surprisingly calm (i was upset that i couldn't control it, but i wasn't having a panic attack)

It happened about 6/7 times, every 15 mins or so- but then only once at the hospital and it seemed to go away until last night. My parents had been away all day, and came back- I had been lying down all day, so i got up to cook dinner and talk to them, and after about 10 mins, i was standing by the oven, just calm and chatting, and it happened again- lucky my stepdad managed to drag me to the sofa!

My conclusions from this are- the doc said it's anxiety, and i'm also feeling really tired, fatigued even, so maybe when i use too much energy (ie: chatting too much) the anxiety kicks in???

I have no idea, i'm just worried, as i have to try and get back to work on Monday- my job involves talking on the phone a lot :/ I'm worried it will happen again :(

NoPoet
08-11-09, 00:03
Hi, I haven't heard of this before, but as I've always said, if a symptom is best described as "weird" then it is due to anxiety. It's possible you are very sensitive to stress and it causes these strange episodes. Evidence for this is how you calmed down so quickly and it barely happened at the hospital, an environment where you may have felt safe due to being surrounded by health experts.

What exactly did your doctor say? What did the people at the hospital say?

Tiredness is a symptom of anxiety. You're burning energy and wasting adrenaline and this has high demands on the human body. Also having a fit can be exhausting. I think these "fits" are simply a very extreme form of panic attack.

Skakitty
08-11-09, 17:32
Thank you for replying :)

Yeh, i agree on the theory that the attacks must be caused by anxiety- i just can't think of another explanation.

The hospital said they didn't know what caused them, but they were probably anxiety related- so i'm gonna go with that.

My only worry now is the possibility of them happening again, i mean, with a panic attack, i can quickly go and sit somewhere quiet- but with these, they happen suddenly and i lose control of my limbs :/

I'll just have to see how it goes i guess!

xx

BigDaz
09-11-09, 20:36
If it happens again I'd get it investigated by your GP. Even if it is "just anxiety", it's still a problem that needs a proper solution. Naturally you probably should avoid anything dangerous, like driving, for a while.

guitarpants
10-11-09, 04:04
You should probably have an EEG done to make sure they aren't seizures. Did they do that?

mandyclare
10-11-09, 07:59
Hi.. sorry you had a bad time.

Id agree with one of the comments above that whether it is 'anxiety' at the root of these 'events' or not.. it needs further investigation because it will be difficult to live with that happening regularly (driving etc)

Let us know how you get on x

Skakitty
10-11-09, 20:19
Hey guys,

Thanks for replying again :)

I've just been signed off work for the week- they have upped my effexor from what i was taking (crumbs) to 75mg again. I'm having bad side effects from this like out of focus vision, and extreme fatigue; but i'm happy to say I haven't had another seizure :D

I'm just gonna rest this week, and hope the meds take effect soon.

Thanks again :)

johansaken
24-07-10, 18:39
If youre still reading this I would like to get in touch with you. I had 3-4 of them. some big ones. had a minor one 2006. Still Im traumatized by it. Just as you describe it but have become unconscious some of the times followed by seizure. They checked found nothing. But would like to get in touch with others. Still to this day, this is my biggest fear. That it will happen again.