PDA

View Full Version : do i have the right to ask for an mri scan ?

sarah jayne
06-11-09, 11:54
Hi, some of you will know that i have been suffering from daily headaches for around 4 months now. Ive had blood tests which were fine. Ive tried everything from tiger balm to different medications but nothing really works. As its been going on so long do i have the right to ask for an mri scan ? Im also feeling sick and dizzy, i just dont feel right at all. Im sick of being fobbed off with different medications that dont work.

anx mum
06-11-09, 11:57
Yes hun u do its going on 2 long i had mri scan cos i was admitted with bad headaches. Now ur with a different doc demand one.

sarah jayne
06-11-09, 12:07
Ive got an appointment later but im worried about asking incase they refuse. Im just sick of this headache, i want to know the exact cause of it, im sick of being fobbed off x

gypsywomen
06-11-09, 12:10
hi my friend have you tried those migrane cool strips you put on your head ,my mum sufferd with migrane it could go on for weeks she had all you symtoms look into it hun it could be it can be brought on by worry love mxxx

sarah jayne
06-11-09, 12:20
No i havent tried them. Ive tried everything else though. Is it possible to have a migraine for 4 months ? The only thing im worried about at the moment is this headache, im sick of being in pain every day, its ruining my life. Ive never really suffered from headaches before except when ive had a hangover but i havent had a drink since this headache started so it cant be that lol.
Sarah xxx

gypsywomen
06-11-09, 12:32
it could be there called migraleve if they work it might be there cooling strips my daughter suffers with migraine and swears by themxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

anx mum
06-11-09, 12:36
Ive tried them cooling strips heat pads did nothing for me really know how u feel sarah docs dont understand how worried u r and if it puts your mind at rest? Have u had a ct scan? My head has been slighltly better by taking pregabalin 300mg aday

gypsywomen
06-11-09, 12:45
Ive tried them cooling strips heat pads did nothing for me really know how u feel sarah docs dont understand how worried u r and if it puts your mind at rest? Have u had a ct scan? My head has been slighltly better by taking pregabalin 300mg aday
i agree they dont work for everyone but sarah could try see if they ease the pain if they do ,it will be good also i agree have word again with docter

springblossom
06-11-09, 12:46
I'm sure you can put your case to the GP.

I find on the NHS that it's difficult to have 'investigative' work done and the emphasis is always placed in 'treatment'.

randomworry
06-11-09, 20:38
of course you should demand an MRI - get your GP to refer you to a neurologist for treatment. I saw a neurologist actually but my headache was decreasing so he advised i get an MRI if it gets worse. He also said I could take amitriptyline.

Unfortunately it has got worse - head was throbbing like a heart last night! so im getting back to his secretary to ask for scan.

Also im going to start the amitriptyline soon.

countrygirl
06-11-09, 22:30
In most areas of the country yourGP will be able to arrange an mri scan for you without the need to see a consultant. I would be totally honest with your gp about your fears and beg no demand if you see what I mean an mri to stop you worrying you have a brain tumour or whatever.

If your GP flatly refuses then it is possible to get a scan privately for as little as £250 if you shop around and wait a couple of weeks and if you can at all afford it its worth it - your gp would need to fax a referral to whichever private company you use but I have found that if you are willing to pay then most gps will arrange it on nhs because they realise how worried you are.

good luck

Humly
07-11-09, 09:41
Hi there. Have you been to the docs yet and if so how did you get on. With things going on for so long I do think you have the right to ask for an mri or even some further tests. Although it will probably just turn out to be stress related, it will put your mind at ease and the docs will then be able to start treating the headaches. Goog luck.

Welsh.Baz
07-11-09, 10:35
My other half suffers from constant headaches and was put on something called pizotifen, which helped her.

zoe1977
10-06-11, 21:40
Sarah Jayne Hi, I know how you feel, i feel so rubbish ive had a headache for 6 weeks and the doctors just keep saying its only a headache but im really worried about it so im going to go back to the doctors monday to ask for a scan because it will make me abit happier and stop me from being so worried, so yes i think you should ask for a scan! xx