PDA

View Full Version : Smear test panic

miss diagnosis
06-11-09, 12:49
HI

yesterday I got a letter asking me to go for a smear test.
This is a new thing in ireland as they only brought in the free smears
in Sep. The girls in work say im really lucky to get one as its like a lottery.

But i think its a sign...my last smear was about 2 1/2 years ago and was clear but im terrified im dying of cervical cancer..and they missed something on the last test.Plus i wasnt smoking then and i am now.
I have had the odd spot of bleeding after sex but i had thrush at the time so i put it down to this.
Im getting worried cos im getting married next year and im terrified that there wont be a wedding and i keep visioning myself in my coffin in my wedding dress..Im deperatly trying to pluck up the courage to go.Im so scared.

maxine
06-11-09, 13:00
The one and only way you are going to put your mind to rest is by going for the smear test, the chances of something being wrong are pretty slim and you know why they do the tests ... IF and it's a huge if... there is something wrong they catch it early thus are able to fix it.

Bite the bullet, you will feel so much better afterwards.

IJJ
06-11-09, 15:12
I agree with Maxine, definately go. It is so worth it for peace of mind. You will be fine - and in the tiniest remotest chance that they found something, it could be fixed in a jiffy. The best way of keeping on top of any changes that may occur down there is to go for regular smears - will make you feel much more in control if you go then you can get the all clear and look forward to your wedding.

eternally optimistic
06-11-09, 19:21
Hi

You must go for the screening.

Ive recently had one and was soooo anxious to get the hell out of there.

I'm not overly keen my GP but I explained that was really nervous and she was brilliant. Very reassuring.

They told me it would be a 6 - 8 week for a response and believe it or not, I got the all clear 7 days later.

Get it done and out the way, you can then forget about it until the next time.

Good luck.

Cell block H fan
06-11-09, 19:45
HI

yesterday I got a letter asking me to go for a smear test.
This is a new thing in ireland as they only brought in the free smears
in Sep. The girls in work say im really lucky to get one as its like a lottery.

But i think its a sign...my last smear was about 2 1/2 years ago and was clear but im terrified im dying of cervical cancer..and they missed something on the last test.Plus i wasnt smoking then and i am now.
I have had the odd spot of bleeding after sex but i had thrush at the time so i put it down to this.
Im getting worried cos im getting married next year and im terrified that there wont be a wedding and i keep visioning myself in my coffin in my wedding dress..Im deperatly trying to pluck up the courage to go.Im so scared.

Go for it. I cant really talk as I am way overdue for mine! I think its been near on 3 yrs & I always had them yearly due to a previous problem in my early 20's. So if you go, I definately will!

mandyclare
06-11-09, 21:36
Hi. nobody likes going for them but it takes a couple of minutes and then your mind will be at rest and you can forget about this issue for a few years.

mand

cunny1980
07-11-09, 13:59
I know how you feel I hate the dreaded letter coming but you really should go its over in a couple of mins and if there is anything going on its best to know now. Good Luck:hugs:

Humly
07-11-09, 14:08
Hi there. I think we all hate going for smears but its is only a couple of minutes and is worth it. Once you get the all clear then you can forget about it. As for the spotting, I had that once and it was to do with being on the pill and was easily sorted.

miss diagnosis
10-11-09, 09:04
thanks for replys everyone. im going tomorrow afternoon.
will keep you posted!

miss diagnosis
11-11-09, 15:48
ive just been. nurse was very nice and very quick.told her i was in a panic.
she said everything looked ok. still going to be up the walls waiting for the reults but if it was major invasive they would be able to tell by looking would they??

mandyclare
11-11-09, 16:37
glad you got it done.. you did well.. you will be fine ... now just relax and forget about it if you can.

Mand x

RosieXXX
11-11-09, 16:42
Hello missdiagnosis,

Well done for going, at least you have got that part out the way. I am sure if you had a major problem with the cervix they would be able to tell by the look of it, there would be signs of inflammation and ulceration. Hope you get your results back soon, and then you can relax for another 3 years.:)

eternally optimistic
16-11-09, 18:21
Well done for going, your results will be fine.

Take care.