PDA

View Full Version : Headaches

RJP
06-11-09, 20:36
Hi, wondering does anyone ever get a headache that wont go even when you have taken headache pills ?

harasgenster
06-11-09, 20:37
Where does it hurt? I often get strange-feeling headaches that I think are just anxiety, like on top of my head, for example. Maybe it's just nerve transmission?

RJP
06-11-09, 20:38
Hey yeah, sometimes I get it there, but today its at the front of my head at my temples I guess you would say.

harasgenster
06-11-09, 20:41
I think that's what they mean by a "band headache" from tension/stress. When it's round the front of your head/forehead? Sometimes pain medication just doesn't help, I'm sure I've had a headache that's stuck around after paracetemol. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. And sometimes it takes a while for pain relief to set in.

RJP
06-11-09, 20:45
I get what you mean now, yeah I guess you would describe like that, my forehead feels so tight just like you say a band. Thank you for taking the time to reply, hoping that is all it is and the constant worrying about what it is probably isnt helping !!!

SleeplessFog
06-11-09, 20:59
Yeah a lot of my tension/stress headaches are like that...sometimes headache pills don't make it go away either.

MissBoo
06-11-09, 21:41
I would get headaches every day for two months that would come on within 2 hrs of me getting out of bed. Would last all day and no medicine would take them away.

After a normal HA freakout, an MRI and bloodwork, come to find out it was muscular and a few trips to the physical therapist worked them right out.

Now whenever I feel one I try stretching and working on my posture.

annabanana
06-11-09, 21:53
I often get tension headaches that I can't shift. I've tried Syndol which are quite good...they continue a muscle relaxant to help with the tense muscles.

But even they sometimes don't work!! I have been known to take ibruprofen plus co-codamol in an attempt to shift them!:doh:

Humly
07-11-09, 13:56
Every now and then I get a headache that just wont shift. I take the usual paracetemol and ibuprofen alternatively throughout the day and nothing works. I find that sometimes a cool pack on my forehead helps.

steven67
07-11-09, 14:03
i had my headaches for 18 months they went when i had my ibs , pain killers won,t come close to easing them i do have them now and again but i no what it is ME ME ME HA FOR 5 YEARS TAKE CARE

Cell block H fan
07-11-09, 15:34
If I dont take some Ibuprofen AS SOON as the thing starts, I have no chance. And will end up with a full blown Migraine, feel sick the lot. Then nothing will work, except a nights sleep. I get this once a month. Always have. My 12 yr old daughter is the same, & funnily enough we both have them today (even though she hasn't started her periods yet, she still seems to suffer the bad head around the time I do)

Deltadog
08-11-09, 20:49
Hi there. Headaches are quite easy to categorise when dealing with stress/tension.
A typical headache relating to stress will feel different to everyday headaches. The ones we are talking about here are muscle related. The muscles of the neck will take a lot of pressure when a person is tense. You may not realise it but you could be shrugging your shoulders or holding your head in a posture that is straining your muscles. There are muscles in the back of your neck which when compressed (say if you look up, or sit badly, or hold your shoulders up too high) create pain around the top of your head like a hair band. This can then travel forward and go behind the eyes. It feels like anything from a gentle pressing feeling on the top of your head to a dizzy, sicky, tight vice like pain. As mentioned before the other common tension headache is the hat band. This will usually affect the sides of the head and especially the temple area. If you think of a picture of a stressed out person you nearly always see them massaging their temples.
The common thing about these headaches is that they do not 'pulsate' or 'throb'. The usual headaches that one who is not suffering from tension tends to have is a vascular headache, like when you have a hangover! You could bend over and put your head down and it would hurt more, a tension headache doesnt tend to do this.
Sorry, i didnt mean for this to be a long post! Before I finish I'll just say that if I have these headaches I find that a gentle massage of the scalp and sometimes the temples is better than a tablet. I also had a proffesional massage too, wow that was good for it!
Good luck

Cell block H fan
08-11-09, 21:25
Hi there. Headaches are quite easy to categorise when dealing with stress/tension.
A typical headache relating to stress will feel different to everyday headaches. The ones we are talking about here are muscle related. The muscles of the neck will take a lot of pressure when a person is tense. You may not realise it but you could be shrugging your shoulders or holding your head in a posture that is straining your muscles. There are muscles in the back of your neck which when compressed (say if you look up, or sit badly, or hold your shoulders up too high) create pain around the top of your head like a hair band. This can then travel forward and go behind the eyes. It feels like anything from a gentle pressing feeling on the top of your head to a dizzy, sicky, tight vice like pain. As mentioned before the other common tension headache is the hat band. This will usually affect the sides of the head and especially the temple area. If you think of a picture of a stressed out person you nearly always see them massaging their temples.
The common thing about these headaches is that they do not 'pulsate' or 'throb'. The usual headaches that one who is not suffering from tension tends to have is a vascular headache, like when you have a hangover! You could bend over and put your head down and it would hurt more, a tension headache doesnt tend to do this.
Sorry, i didnt mean for this to be a long post! Before I finish I'll just say that if I have these headaches I find that a gentle massage of the scalp and sometimes the temples is better than a tablet. I also had a proffesional massage too, wow that was good for it!
Good luck

Thats the one I had yesterday & this morning, the one you mentioned that when you move your head, or even cough, it kills your head!
What causes those?